SENTRY JOURNAL » Congress, Constitution, Founding Fathers, Obama, Slaughter Solution, Thomas Jefferson » The "Jefferson Solution"

The "Jefferson Solution"

Last week we were all introduced to the “Slaughter Solution”; a procedural method that could be used to get around the requirements of the Constitution to pass a bill without actually voting on it.  I have read a number or articles both defending and condemning the move.

For me any attack on the Constitution needs to met with a swift and overwhelming response.  Most of us picked up the phone and called our representatives, and expressed our deep concerns to some nameless staffer who took down our information and promised to relay our frustrations to our congressman or congresswoman.  I have already done this twice so far this week.  Some have emailed lengthy rants to their representatives about how the Democrats are trying to destroy the Republic using unconstitutional procedures.  Ok I did that too.  It has been somewhat of a frustrating week for many of us and when I get this frustrated I turn to God and the Founders.

God sustains me and the Founders feed me.  I was thinking about how we have drifted so far away from the basic principles that this country was built on.  How we have let the enemies of liberty into the halls of congress to decide our fate.  The more I thought about the “Slaughter Solution” the angrier I became at myself for allowing it to reach this point.  You see I had become complacent as a citizen of this great country.  I failed to act when I saw the forces of progressivism creep back into our political arena.  I viewed it as a passing political fad that would never find traction in the United States of America.  How wrong I was.  I totally underestimated these forces that hid in the shadows, waiting for the right crisis to hit.  What looked like a fad, ended up being a well organized machine; a machine seeping with radicalism and one goal; to transform the United States into a wealth redistributive society.  This brings us to the real crisis; a Constitutional crisis we face today, that just might change the face of America forever.

So tonight I decided to turn to my favorite radical.  No not Saul Alinsky.  But a radical that stood up against tyranny and defiantly declared, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness;” Thomas Jefferson.  Thomas Jefferson is my favorite Founding Father for a number of reasons, too many to discuss in this post.  But the one thing I admire the most about this man is that he was an ardent supporter of states’ rights and limited government.  He embraced the notion that the people were the masters and the politicians were the servants.  This is the type of statesman we need now; a statesman that will stand up for the people.

I opened one of my books on Thomas Jefferson and found a few quotes that might provide us with our own solution to the problems we face with our Congress and Executive branch of government.  Please read with a clear mind and determined spirit.

I have no fear that the result of our experiment will be that men may be trusted to govern themselves without a master. Could the contrary of this be proved I should conclude either that there is no God or that He is a malevolent being. (1797)

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. (May 27, 1788)

The God, who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time. (1775)

The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object. (March 1801)

In questions of power let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution. (1798)

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicities. (March 4, 1801)

How have we drifted so far away from this philosophy?  How can we get it back?  Where are the men and women in Congress that will take up the cause for liberty and say enough of this madness?  Perhaps they too should look to the past to find solutions to the problems we face today.  I looked and found the “Jefferson Solution.”  It’s really that simple.

Filed under: Congress, Constitution, Founding Fathers, Obama, Slaughter Solution, Thomas Jefferson

Comments
  • The Born Again American March 18, 2010 at 3:43 AM

A spine would come in handy, something the vast majority of those in Washington don't seem to have… The federal and state governments have been perverted into something they were never intended to become which is careers… Term limits and campaign finance reform must be mandated… The problem is that the weasels we have now in Washington will never inact term limits on themselves.. Answer, perhaps every 6 to 8 years we shoot the entire bunch and start fresh… I'd be willing to bet that soon they would put term limits in place… (please, it's very early in Florida and I'm certainly not condoning violence, merely suggesting that there's many in Washington that would be a waste of a good bullrt)

• LD Jackson March 18, 2010 at 4:44 AM

I wouldn't have thought that our country could have progressed so far towards socialism and the like, but it amazes me at how many comments I have received on my blog that lean in that very direction. They seem to see nothing wrong with taking from those who have and giving it to those who have not. Never mind that the founding fathers intended something completely different.

Thomas Jefferson was indeed, a unique individual. We would do well to read, remember, and adhere to what he says. I especially liked where he said the government shall not take the bread from the mouth of labor who earned it. Very wise, that is.

• John Carey March 18, 2010 at 5:14 AM

Thanks for the comments BA. I am a big supporter fo term limits, but what I'm a bigger supporter of it the repeal of the 17th amendments. We need to return the power of electing Senators back to the states. When the 17th amendment was ratified and senators could be elected by popular vote and took a great deal of power from the states. Returning the power back to the states would make it a heck of a lot easier to recall Senators if they are not acting in the interest of the state. I think we should really consider getting it repealed.

• John Carey March 18, 2010 at 5:19 AM

Thanks for the comments as always LD. People are so quick to say the sytem is broken, the Constitution is broken and my reponse is yes it is. Why? Because we have drifted away from the principles of the Founding Fathers and Constitution. If you want to fix the system, try something radical like getting back to the basics. And those basics include enforcing the Constitution word for word. Maybe its time for a Constitutional Convention called for by the states.

• Ron Russell March 18, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I don't know if Nancy P. will use the "slaughter rule", but I suspect if she does it will create a firestorm on capital hill and an even bigger one out in the country. The Constitution isn't broken—its the same as always except for the few amendments. Its just that many in Congress choose to disregard what its says while the SCOTUS sits silent!

• John Carey March 18, 2010 at 8:22 PM

That is the real problem Ron, the SCOTUS sits silent. They are supposed to be the watchdogs of acts precisely like this. I think they are afraid to act because they fear a near super majority congress might decide the time is right to increase the number of justices so the POTUS can appoint radical activist judges that will support his agenda. FDR threatened to do just that when the SCOTUS pushed back against the New Deal, and for the most part it shut them up.

• Matt March 18, 2010 at 9:00 PM

John, you hit this one out of the park. We need to return to the Constitution. As Ron suggests, it is not broken. The people that take an oath to uphold it are grossly negligent in their duties.

I too have wondered if the POTUS would re-visit the court packing incident. That set the stage for collaring the court.

• John Carey March 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM

Thanks Matt.

It really comes down to the Constitution and limited government. Most people today believe our system is broken. I agree. But not because the Constitution is broken. I agree because we are not practicing the form of government our Founders created. Over the years we have drifted away from a liberty and freedom and moved closer to socialism and tyranny; and we wonder why things feel so broken…

• Anonymous March 19, 2010 at 5:39 AM

Jefferson also discussed socialism several times in his life and believed it was wrong to "waste the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them".

In the 1800s there were people in the government that did not support the Constitution. They were called Monarchists and supported the implementation of a Monarchy in America. This is what Jefferson had to say about them:

"Monarchists have no right to office. If a Monarchist be in office anywhere, and it be know to the President, the oath he has taken to support the Constitution imperiously requires the instantaneous dismission of such officer; and I should hold the President criminal if he permitted such to remain."

I wonder how he would feel about the Socialist and Communists that are, not only allowed to openly serve in government positions today, but have been appointed there by the President himself.

• John Carey March 20, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Thanks for the comments Anonymous. I'm sure he would demand the dimissal of the President.