SENTRY JOURNAL » Capitalist, Milton Friedman, Poll, Socialism vs Capitalism, Socialist, Video, YouTube » Telling Numbers: 60% Say Capitalism Better Than Socialism

Telling Numbers: 60% Say Capitalism Better Than Socialism

60% Say Capitalism Better Than Socialism

Well the good news is that 60% of people actually believe capitalism is better than socialism.  The bad news is 60% of people believe capitalism is better than socialism.

While only 18% disagreed that capitalism is good an astounding 21% didn’t know.  Didn’t know?  You got to be kidding me.  First off, I think that these numbers are just plain scary and tells me that the majority of people either don’t understand socialism or they’re somehow being caught up in a socialistic wave that is crashing on our capitalistic shores.  I tend to lean towards they don’t fully understand what socialism is and why it will ultimately lead to a regression in the standard of living we currently enjoy, from the health care we receive to the quality of the products we buy.

So because this is Saturday I’m going to keep this as basic and as simple to understand as possible.  Ready?

In a capitalist society you own your own labor and can sell this labor to an entity that will pay you a fee based on your abilities or skill sets whereas in a socialist society you don’t own your own labor.  In a socialist society your labor is owned by all the people and they can use it as they see fit to advance the good of the collective.  Capitalists believe in the individual as compared to socialists believing in the collective.  Capitalists respect property rights to include labor.  Socialists want to make things more equal in society so there are no clear cut winners or losers.  Capitalists are about freedom of choice, while socialist are about freedom from choice.

Now I know this is very basic and I’m sure can all dive so much deeper into this discussion with the pros and cons of both, but that’s not the point of this post.  If people can understand the very basic foundation I stated above about the difference between the two then I can’t fathom how anyone would think that socialism is a better system than capitalism.  One respects the individual to make the right choices the other does not.  One believes that the fruits of their labor belong to the individual; the other believes it should be shared with all.  It’s not rocket science; it’s really that simple.

I leave you with Milton Friedman’s perspective on both.  After all he was only one of the most brilliant economists of the 20th century, so I think his opinion on the issue matters.

Well said Mr. Friedman.

Filed under: Capitalist, Milton Friedman, Poll, Socialism vs Capitalism, Socialist, Video, YouTube

Comments
  • LD Jackson April 24, 2010 at 8:41 PM

Kind of hard to argue when he puts it as simple as that. The problem lies in the fact that the ones who would argue against capitalism do so on the premise that everything should be equally distributed to all people. They simply think it is a travesty to have "so many have nots and so few haves", as Phil Donahue put it.

• Gorges Smythe April 24, 2010 at 10:09 PM

The sad fact is that most people CHOOSE to be ignorant, and you will never win an argument against ignorance, particularly WILLFUL ignorance. The best we can hope for is to sway the undecided – who may be equally ignorant, but at least not willfully so.

• TRESTIN MEACHAM April 25, 2010 at 2:13 AM

He sure had old Phil frustrated. I agree that the 21% not knowing is disturbing. Ignorance is the foundation of oppression.

• John Carey April 25, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for the comments Larry.

For me it is really that simple. Yes you will always have the have-nots and the haves in a society. But unlike socialism, in a capitalist society the environment is created to give the opportunity for the have-nots to break free from their economic woes and attain a tangible improvement in their living standards.

In a socialist society they might get the free cheese, but it doesn't mean they are any better off or they will ever be able to attain a higher standard of living. What's worse is the idea of fairness and justice. With fairness and justice you place limits on success because success is no longer a player when the illusion of success is spread amongst the masses. Instead you end up in a place where everyone thinks they are winners and no-one is better off for it.

• John Carey April 25, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Thanks for stopping by Gorges. I think it is easier for people to live in a blissful state because the fear of actually confronting our problems is just too overwhelming to deal with.

These are the kind of people that will be the first the throw up their hands and say I surrender.

• John Carey April 25, 2010 at 11:38 AM

Trestin thanks for the comments. Phil has always been a big time liberal that feels and does not think. Ignorance is the path towards oppression, because if you do not know any better, you become a fool that can be moved and manipulated by shallow words.

• Anonymous April 25, 2010 at 3:36 PM

Capitalism is good because it gives people more freewill, but it turns bad when we cannot control the greed and gluttony that is so often associated with it !!

• John Carey April 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Thanks for the comments Anonymous,

There are pros and cons to both but overall it is capitalism that has a greater capacity than socialism to advance the human condition.

• Matt April 25, 2010 at 10:02 PM

Thanks for this post, and the video from Friedman. What kinda scares me is the folks that think socialism would be better. For them, I propose a year-long field trip to Cuba. If they still think that socialism is great after that year, or Castro hasn't jailed them, they can stay. It's a win-win situation, if you ask me.

• John Carey April 25, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Thanks Matt. I agree. People just do not know how good they have it. It's easy to praise a system they know little about or do not have to live under.