SENTRY JOURNAL » Earl Pomeroy, ethics, Newspapers, North Dakota, Politics » Earl Pomeroy and the Local Media

Earl Pomeroy and the Local Media

I wanted to share good article from the Say Anything Blog.  It pertains to an ethics investigation directed at our soon to be unemployed representative Earl Pomeroy.  Now to help you understand what we’re up against, the local media in our state has failed to do their job and give this serious issue the attention it so deserves.  They mentioned it in the Fargo and Grandforks newspapers as a listed story; however I could not find a word of it in the Minot Daily News or Bismark Tribune.

You see we face some of the same issues with the media and their support for liberal candidates on a local level as the entire nation experiences with the MSM on a national level.  The good thing about local media is that you can definitely have a greater influence by choosing not to purchase their product.  This tends to have a bigger impact on them because they rely on the local community to feed their bottom line.

This is where we as conservatives can make a difference at the local level.  We’re not asking for a media that is slanted towards the conservative view point; we’re asking for one that is fair and balanced.  I’m not talking about some type of local fairness doctrine; I’m talking about a media that takes off their partisan goggles and be the watchdogs for the Republic.  If being the watchdog calls out both conservative and liberal politicians when some sort of wrong doing takes place then the Republic is better for it.  It is when they pick and choose the winners and losers that the Republic is threatened.

North Dakota is a small state with regard to population density; we only have one representative.  You would think that when its lone representative is being investigated by an ethics probe it would be big news.  You would think that all the newspapers from the four largest cities in North Dakota would have considered this big news.  Not so much.  The only way it would have been big news was if it was Republican being investigated and this is what is wrong with our media in this nation.  They have decided to ally themselves with one political party and utilize their resources to push a liberal agenda.

Now here is where we can make a difference.  A recent Gallup poll finds 42% of Americans describing themselves as either very conservative or conservative.  Now if these numbers are correct conservatives not only represent a huge voting bloc, they also represent a powerful economic force.  No corporation large or small can afford to alienate 42% of their customers.  The power of the dollar is a very moving force.

If you oppose an ideology do you simply surrender your position and embrace the opposing ideology; my guess is not.  If you live in a state that has entitlement programs you disagree with or taxes that are through the roof, do you submit or try to vote for someone that will make an effort to reverse the course?  And if when you vote for these elected representatives you find that the promises they made does not resolve your disagreement with the state, you can ultimately vote with your feet and move.  So why should we stand for it when our local newspapers ignore their responsibilities and by doing so support an ideology that you oppose.  Why should we continue to support those entities with our dollars?  My suggestion is to call your local paper if you’re experiencing the same slanted or absence of reporting and ask them why they are failing to report the news or why they are more slanted towards one candidate over another.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with this.  If they don’t to give you a reasonable explanation or simply refuse to acknowledge your concern then teach them a free market lesson by stopping your purchase of their product.  The goal is to get the newspaper to change their behavior.

If this was done on a national level, with just local newspapers, think how the conversation in this country would change and become more productive.  Maybe our elected officials would think twice before they trampled all over our Constitution if they knew it was going to make the front-page of their local papers back home.  This is the way it is supposed to work folks.  Our elected officials need to be held accountable for their actions and like it or not the media does play a role.  But we the people also play a role and we must break free of the mindset that we can’t make a difference.  I’m here to tell you we can, because in the end what really matters to these companies is the bottom line.  And if it means we need to act so that we have an effect on their bottom line to get them to do their jobs, then we need to act and act soon.

Filed under: Earl Pomeroy, ethics, Newspapers, North Dakota, Politics

Comments
  • Trestin June 27, 2010 at 5:41 AM

I've also noticed a bias on local levels. Utah is perhaps the most conservative state, yet the local newscasts are defiantly left leaning. I think it begins in at the university level. Journalism programs seem to be structured to create a left leaning reporting style.

• John Carey June 27, 2010 at 6:37 AM

Well Trestin, then I say we teach them someting about the free market and choice. But we need to let them know why we are choosing to longer buy their product. I gaurantee if they start losing a chunck of business they will either change their tune and do their job or they will be out of business. Like I said, no businesss can afford to alienate 42% of their customer. Not even on a natonal level. It's time we starting thinking in those terms.

• The Born Again American June 27, 2010 at 8:28 AM

I'm only one, but I stopped watching all local news here in S.W. Florida after their continued bias to the left…

It only took one email to a local radio station to have an ad pulled that was promoting an online sight for married people who wanted to cheat on their spouses…

An army of "ONE" can make a difference, keep up the good fight John…

• John Carey June 27, 2010 at 8:56 AM

Thanks for the comments BO. We can indeed make a difference. The power of the free market system is a very influential force. And we all participate in it everyday by the choices we make.

• Matt June 27, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I get a kick out of the fact that when a Republican does something, there will be a prominent "R' after his name. For Democrats, there is usually no "D." Then again, they usually don't cover it when a Dem get's into trouble.

• John Carey June 27, 2010 at 11:05 AM

This is the game they play Matt. I have just decided to walk away from it and not give them on more dime of the money I earn from my labors. When my TIME Magazine subscription runs out I will not be renewing it. These are a few free market choices I can make to send a message.

• Gorges Smythe June 27, 2010 at 3:29 PM

For years, we had both a democrat and a republican newspaper in our town, though they were owned by the same company. Recently, they combined the two for business reasons and the paper has gotten substantially more liberal than the old republican paper was. Of course, the democrats may be complaining about the opposite, but I don't see how. I only get the Sunday issue now, and may drop it.

• John Carey June 27, 2010 at 4:08 PM

Thanks for dropping by GS. The only way these newspapers are going to get is if we teach them a free market lesson. If a customer is not satisfied with their product or service, they just don't settle and keep buying or using the service; they take their business and move on. We have been giving these newspapers a free pass for far too long. Time to move on.

• Randy-g June 27, 2010 at 5:45 PM

I scoured the Bismarck paper too (a borrowed one)I didn't see a word about Pomeroy's ethics problem either. I just found your site the other day John, Great work…. And thanks for the link to my little (very little) corner of the world.

• John Carey June 27, 2010 at 7:21 PM

Thanks for the kind words Randy. Yeah I looked in the Minot Daily and not a word. Your most welcome about the link. I checked out you site today and liked the topics and look. Who knows maybe the link will push some traffic your way. I am one who believes that we all need to work together to spread the word.

• Teresa June 28, 2010 at 12:09 AM

The Lib media do like to play the game of choosing favorites. The MSM will make sure that you know when a Republican does wrong but tries to hide that fact when a Democrat is corrupt. The lib media are a bunch of hypocrites. Electing conservatives at the local level will definitely make a difference. This will help ensure that free market ideas as well as other principles are instituted at the local level. This will help the school systems and in turn help our kids in the long run.

• John Carey June 28, 2010 at 5:10 AM

Thanks for the comments Teresa.

• Anonymous June 28, 2010 at 4:39 PM