SENTRY JOURNAL » 2010 elections, Democrats, Obama, Politics, Scott Brown, U.S. Politics » The people we thought we knew.

The people we thought we knew.

I took a day off from writing to clear my head and collect my thoughts.  Last night I visited with some old friends I served with in the military who I hadn’t seen in over 15 years.  They were in the area on business and stopped by our home.  We talked about all the people we knew, wondering where they were and what they were doing now; passing bits of information back and forth about our lives over the last 15 years in the hopes of filling in the missing pieces of each other’s puzzle.  We talked about the good times we all had and for a moment I was whisked back to the early 90s when life was less complicated.  It felt like an old friend and I needed it.

After they left, it became clear to me what I wanted to talk about in my next post; the people we thought we knew.  You see no matter where we are on our journey we call life, there are people we run across that have had an impact us.  They could be a co-worker, a friend, your parents, or even a stranger.  Some of these experiences were good and some not so good, but the key is to learn from each and take something away from the experience.  I have learned a great deal in life from the people I have run across.  I learned not to judge a book by its cover, because the surface can be deceiving and sometimes hide how good or bad the story really is.  You see, I was one of those people that lived by the motto that first impressions are lasting, and whatever the first impression I got from a person was going to set the tone for the rest of my experience and relationship with that person.  I learned some time ago that this is a flawed concept.

Last night I discovered some things about the people I thought I knew that kind of surprised me.  Not in a bad way, but in a way that reminded me of how shallow I was back then.  People that I thought were strange and odd turned out to people of outstanding character that would give you the shirt off their back in troubled times.  Then to the other extreme, people that I thought were of strong character on solid moral ground, ended of being people that lacked principles and had questionable values.  Actions always speak louder than words, and through one’s actions their true nature is revealed.  I know this seems like a no brainer, but the truth is many fall into the trap of being swept up by the cover of the book, or eloquent words.  I know I did in my past.  I thought I could trust my own judgment when it came to people with my first impressions.  Last night reminded me of the person I once was and helped me see how far I have come since those uncomplicated days.

We do make mistakes in life, because we’re human and that’s ok as long as we learn from them.  My experience with friends, parents, and co-workers provided me with the tools I needed to look beyond the cover of the book and read the story.  It’s perhaps one of the main reasons I didn’t buy the Obama story.  Obama’s actions before he was elected were in direct conflict with his words, but he had an appealing cover so people assumed the story was good.

Now after 18 months of steering this ship it appears that the story is not so good; in fact it is quite the opposite.  Unemployment is still hovering close to 10 percent and all his and his party’s economic policies from stimulus to bailouts have failed to kick start the economy.  He scoffs at the idea of being called a socialist and mocks those who do and yet his actions to nationalize banks, the auto industry, the energy industry, and the healthcare industry are not only unconstitutional, but a text book example of socialism.  His oratory skills are first-rate, that is until you take away is teleprompter.  Then he comes across like a fish out of water.  People that once voted for him are scratching their heads, thinking how could they have made such a mistake?  You see they thought they knew what they were getting; after all his words reflected a more centrist attitude and position.  The truth is many people chose not to look beyond the cover of the book, they bought into an idea that they thought looked good; however if they would have dug a little deeper they would have seen there was zero substance behind what he was saying.  They would have discovered that he was not the person they thought they knew.  They would have known they were being lied to.  They made a mistake and that happens in life.  It has happened with me many times.

Today when I look at a candidate who is running for office and wants my vote, I don’t rely on talking points or what the pundits tell me about him or her.  I open the book and read the story.  I want to see their actions and where they have taken a position on an issue.  If they have voted present on a number of key issues, that tells me they are either hiding their position or unqualified to make a sound decision on the matter.  If they say they’re for guns rights or free speech and their votes reflect just the opposite of what they are trying to sell than the simple truth is they are lying to get elected and will not earn my vote.  Many Tea Party groups that supported Scott Brown are feeling betrayed because Senator Brown supported the financial reform bill that expands the role and increase the power of the federal government over the free market. If they would have researched his voting record in Massachusetts they would have discovered that he is a moderate Republican.  Most of us knew what we were getting when he won, and I’m still ok with it as compared to what we could have gotten with a Martha Coakley.  The point is we need to get to know the people we are voting for this November and the only way we can do this is through research.  It’s our duty and responsibility as citizens of this Republic to take the time out of our days to do our homework.  Even if each of us set aside 30 minutes out of the week to conduct our research, by the time November arrives, we will be better armed with information to make a wise decision.  And in the end that is really what it’s about.  We deserve better than who currently represents our views in Washington DC.  We deserve elected officials who will honor and support our Constitution, who understand their limitations, who will protect our country, who will respect the views of their constituents, and who understand and know our history.  And we have a responsibility as citizens to make sure this happens every other November.

We owe it to our parents, our children, our spouses, our friends and our enemies, our founders, our Constitution, and our Republic to make this right!  Get to know the person you think you know.

Filed under: 2010 elections, Democrats, Obama, Politics, Scott Brown, U.S. Politics

Comments
  • The Born Again American July 17, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Ecellent post John…

There are millions of Americans with severe buyers remorse, as they fell for the BS that was being spewed from the teleprompter…

We have the perfect example right here in S.W. Florida with Connie Mack… He is a huge disapointment… I didn't know liberalism was a sexually transmitted disease… He's gotten pretty bad since he started sleeping with Mary "Bono" Mack… His latest is to urge Floridians not to pass an Arizona type immigration law… Shame on you Connie Mack, but shame on me as well, I voted not only for you, but your father as well…

• John Carey July 17, 2010 at 1:14 PM

Like I said BO, the people we "thought" we knew. Thanks for the comments my friend.

• Jeff Mosiman July 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM

John,
    Unfortunately we are so use to politicians lying to us, that when one actually states his/her goals and follows through we cannot believe it. I was engaged in my own ill-fated campaign during his election and warned everyone I knew what he would do and they did not believe me. Oh well, now we must pick the pieces up and press forward to repair the damage, if that's possible.

Jeff

• John Carey July 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM

There were people that knew who this man was and yes Jeff, like you I tried to warn as many as I could only to be ignored, but he did come across like a centrist in his language. He was deceptive with his words but this dosen't absolve people of their responsibility to do their homework. Thanks for the comments Jeff.

• Matt July 17, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Time is a great teacher, isn't it? You get to see, over time, how people truly change (or is it revealed?).

I agree with your effort to study candidates. I have some studying to do myself.

• LD Jackson July 17, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Jeff and John,

You guys weren't the only ones who tried to warn the American voters about the change Barack Obama would bring to this country, if elected. A lot of us were engaged in that campaign and the people simply refused to listen. I was repeatedly accused of racism, even though I never even mentioned the color of the man's skin. No amount of writing and talking was able to get the job done because the majority of the people simply didn't want to hear the truth.

• Gorges Smythe July 17, 2010 at 6:45 PM

If EVERYONE studied voting records, we would have almost none of our current woes in this country. Unfortunately, most people are intellectually lazy.

• Randy-g July 17, 2010 at 9:04 PM

The unfortunate part of politics is few, very few ( and I include myself in that group ) actually research a candidate. We depend on others to do it for us, and we get a version of that candidate through a media with an agenda or motive. A great post John.

• John Carey July 17, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Time is indeed the great teacher Matt. I think most of us have some homework to do.

• John Carey July 17, 2010 at 11:10 PM

Larry, I was not trying to imply that Jeff and I were the only ones that tried to change the hearts and minds of people. What I was trying to say is that the way he carried himself with his silver tongue and portraying himself in language as a centrist he did deceived a number of good people that were frustrated with Washington and looking for change. I really believe this is a large number of people that had no idea as to how divisive he would be.

• John Carey July 17, 2010 at 11:12 PM

GS I tend to agree with you on people being intellectually lazy. It's just easier to have it spoon fed, even if it's not truthful. This is one of the reasons as to how we ended up in this mess.

• John Carey July 17, 2010 at 11:13 PM

Randy all it would take is 30 minutes a week. We would be in such a better place if we did this.

• John Moran July 17, 2010 at 11:34 PM

One of your best, John. Certainly opens up topics for debate. There's a not so deeply hidden assertion here that the majority of citizens are not really qualified to vote. After all, educating ourselves on the candidates and the issues IS our responsibility, as you so eloquently point out. So what is the penalty for not doing your "homework?" Besides living with the results. I don't know the answer, John, but unqualified or not, no one gets disenfranchised (technically) and life goes on. I've lived with homework all my life. Even now, as a teacher, I still do homework. A bit more is not a problem. For me. But all I can speak for is myself. Thanks for the reminder.

By the way, who were you visiting with? Anyone I know?

• Trestin July 18, 2010 at 2:52 AM

Great advice John. Uninformed voters are the reason for what happened in 2008. If 2010 is to be any different we need to become educated about the candidates record.

• LD Jackson July 18, 2010 at 5:02 AM

John,
    I knew what you were talking about and didn't mean to imply otherwise. Sorry for the confusion with my comment.

• John Carey July 18, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Thanks for stopping by and for the comments John. Ken and Rose stopped by and it was very good to see them. It is interesting that you used the words qualified to vote. The way I see it whether it's team sports, homework, a test, your job, or any other subject that we tackle we all strive to be prepared for the task or journey. We plan our route and what we will do when we go on vacation. So why should it be any different when choosing a candidate during an election. And the best way to know the man or woman is by their voting record. It is their voting record that tells us and the world where stand on an issue.

Barack Obama voted present a number of times and as a matter of fact I believe his present votes were among the highest in the Senate. This sends a message to me. This was a man that didn't want people to know his position and that too should have sent warning signals to the rest of us. We the People have a duty and responsibility as citizens of this great country need to do our homework. There are plenty of resources and websites that track how these folks vote. So there really is no excuse. People need to be reminded of this often.

• John Carey July 18, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Thanks for the comments Trestin. In the future we need to weed out all those who are unwilling to stand up for the Republic, Constitution, and individual liberties.

• John Carey July 18, 2010 at 11:21 AM

No problem Larry. I always welcome your comments. I am sorry for misunderstanding what you were saying. I think I was just trying to clarify what I was trying to say. You're a great conservative my friend.