SENTRY JOURNAL » Bizarro World, Fringe, George Washington, Obama Dollar, Telegraph UK » News from Bizarro World: The Obama Dollar?

News from Bizarro World: The Obama Dollar?

Well you’re not going to believe this.  I ran across this strange story on the telegraph.co.uk.  It appears that a British graphic design firm has teamed up with the Dollar Redesign Project an open competition run by New York designer Richard Smith to promote new design ideas for our one dollar bill. According to their ambitious PR spiel: “we want to rebrand the US Dollar, rebuild financial confidence and revive our failing economy.”  After spitting my drink out of my mouth due the shock of what I had just read I was relieved to find out that Richard Smith and this project are in no way associated with our government.

One of the ideas this completely out of touch group is kicking around is putting President Obama on a newly designed one dollar bill.  Yes that’s right, they want to put Obama on a new version of the dollar bill to rebuild financial confidence and revive our failing economy.  I know sounds like a Friday Funny, but it’s not.  There people are actually considering this.

The Telegraph reported; “the new garish multicolour notes conceived by the firm bear a striking stylistic resemblance to the Euro, and remove America’s Founding Fathers altogether. The company has proposed replacing George Washington with Barack Obama on the new dollar bill.”

Now isn’t that a kick in the teeth.  They want to remove George Washington, one of our greatest founding fathers and replace him with Barack Obama.  Are these people for real?  The sad truth is they are.  Most of you are probably saying this will never happen and I would agree.  This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  Even if this is a PR stunt, it’s laughable to think that a picture of Obama on a dollar bill would help us feel good about an economy his administration is destroying.  And to think that on this date in 1776 George Washington engaged in the first major battle against the British in the Battle of Brooklyn and I’m writing about this garbage.

The Telegraph did state the obvious in their article; “Linking the image of Obama to rebuilding financial confidence and reviving the US economy would be regarded as simply ludicrous by most Americans. After all, it is the Obama administration’s big government vision and reckless spending that is threatening economic growth, job creation and a recovery in the housing market, as well as saddling the United States with a staggering debt that threatens to end its status as the world’s only superpower.”

I couldn’t agree more.  I guess in the end I wanted to remind everyone that there are fringe ideas floating around waiting to be snatched out of the air by far left loons.  This is one of them.  Welcome to “Bizarro World!”

Liberty forever, freedom for all.

Filed under: Bizarro World, Fringe, George Washington, Obama Dollar, Telegraph UK

Comments
  • Steve Dennis August 27, 2010 at 4:44 AM

"it's laughable to think that a picture of Obama on a dollar bill would help us feel good about an economy his administration is destroying"

That statement sums it all up right there. I have to admit that this idea is so outrageous that I was laughing while I was reading it just thinking about it.
    Are these people really this far out of touch that they can't see the irony in what they are proposing?

• John Carey August 27, 2010 at 5:31 AM

I got to tell you Steve I almost did not post this because Like you I just found it completely laughable and moronic. The only reason I decided to post it was because I thought it was important for people to understand the fringe ideas just waiting to bite us. Thanks for the comments.

• Randy-g August 27, 2010 at 5:35 AM

Replace Washington with Obama? Thank God for the second amendment!! We still may end up with a second revolution…..

• John Carey August 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I think it's just a dumb PR stunt Randy.

• Gorges Smythe August 27, 2010 at 8:01 PM

Maybe they could put this on the bottom of the bill, "Like the man in the picture above, this bill isn't worth a tinker's dam for anything!"

• Ken Minor August 27, 2010 at 8:36 PM

The thought of Obummer in, on, around, or near anything truly American such as the dollar sends me shuddering in disgust. I don't think I like him much. I wish he would go away now.

• John Carey August 27, 2010 at 9:22 PM

Pretty much like the future of our own dollar if they keep printing money GS. It too won't be worth anything. Thanks for the comments.

• John Carey August 27, 2010 at 9:24 PM

I'm ready for him to find the exit door also Ken. His policies are destroying the Republic.

• Matt August 27, 2010 at 10:30 PM

You know, this says more about our left that they even realize. When I started the CH, I did a humor/snark format, one of the gimmicks that I used was "Calling it something else." In other words, the lefties will repackage and rename their failed policies into a new "product." Same fail, different wrapping paper. When they talk about, “we want to rebrand the US Dollar, rebuild financial confidence and revive our failing economy," they are full of…well…you know. Doing that will do nothing more than repackage. Just like proposing a different socialized medicine program every decade or two, they seek to put a different shade of lipstick on the same pig.

• John Carey August 27, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I never looked at it that way Matt. Good catch. They do this all the time and should have seen it. Thanks for the comments.

• LD Jackson August 27, 2010 at 11:34 PM

Okay, you just made me say "Oh my God!" to myself. You talk about the ultimate insult, putting Obama's picture on the dollar bill would be it.

• John Carey August 27, 2010 at 11:47 PM

I think its just a PR stunt…a dumb one but still a PR stunt. Thanks for stopping by Larry.