SENTRY JOURNAL » Glenn Beck, Lincoln Memorial, Restoring honor » It’s about us…It always has been

It’s about us…It always has been

This past weekend people from all walks of life converged on our nation’s capital in search of something.  Too be honest I wasn’t sure what to expect, I knew what most of you knew prior to 8/28; Glenn Beck organized an event in Washington D.C. at the Lincoln Memorial that he called the restoring honor rally.  He asked people coming to the rally to leave their signs at home because this was going to be something different.  I knew Sarah Palin was going to be there but I didn’t know what she was going to be speaking about.  I also knew that God was going to be a key component during the event.  Other than that he kept most of it under wraps.

I’m sure there were a number of people that attended the event that were in the same boat as I was; unsure of what exactly was going to unfold.  As I listened to the first speaker on my satellite radio, it became clear to me that this wasn’t about Republicans or Democrats, big government versus limited government, or out of control spending.  It was about us and reminding us that God, family and country still mattered and that we are the key in restoring the republic.  The more I listened the more I realized that we were indeed living in historic times.  I began to look at myself and asked myself what I could do to be the change I so desired to see in our nation.  You see the rally was about introspection and knowing ourselves.

As I continued to listen, I began to understand what America is truly about.  It’s about us.  It always has been, we just need to be reminded.  It became clear to me that the source of our out of control government, the shredding of our Constitution, and even our economic woes is us.  We always had the power to stop it and yet we did nothing.  We failed to be the change we so desired in our elected officials.  We failed to hold them accountable for their votes, always claiming it was the other senator, or other representative that was the problem, not mine.  We continued to look the other way as the seeds of destruction were planted in the housing market with bad policy.  We remained ignorant and lived blissfully as anti-God and anti-America forces created organizations with the intent of fundamentally changing what our founders fought so hard to obtain; liberty and freedom.  We stood by and did nothing when our government seized more land and forced states to comply with a variety of unconstitutional mandates.  Even now there are progressive forces working at the state level trying to influence state legislators into proposing laws that will greatly diminish the power of the states.

Now as I look around I see a number of people saying not I.  I was there; I was trying to stop the beast.  The truth is most of us were asleep and some of us even drifted away from our core principles.  We watered down our honor and traded it for an easier path.  I know this because the person I am talking about is me.  And I was foolish enough to believe I was as conservative as can be.  You see I forgot the basic concept that it’s about us.  The buck stops with me.  I now know what I need to do and what I need to fix the problem starts within me.  If you find yourself in my boat, then you will know what you need to do to fix you.  Each of us must face our own demons, overcome them, and lead by example.

But no matter, we must always remember that we have the power to change the destructive course we are currently on.  We have always had it; we just need to use it.  And the first place to start is with us.

The Greek philosopher Socrates believed that the unexamined life was not worth living.  Now is the time for critical self examination.  This is the message I’m taking away from the Beck rally.

Filed under: Glenn Beck, Lincoln Memorial, Restoring honor

Comments
  • LD Jackson August 30, 2010 at 4:58 AM

This is a great post, John. I especially liked the last part about the unexamined life not being worth living. That is so true and I have found I can be a lot more comfortable in my life if I do examine it closely.

Socrates wasn't the only person to speak of this, as the Bible clearly teaches us to look closely at our own life, especially before we start examining someone else's life. Those are principles to live by and we would all be better if we followed them.

• John Carey August 30, 2010 at 5:28 AM

Thanks Larry. These last 20 month since Barack Obama was elected I have indeed been examining my life and trying to be the change I desire to see in this world. As I said in a comment on your site, I'm a work in progress. Thanks for stopping by.

• Tony Morgano August 30, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Please join me in a petition to ask Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf to move the proposed Islamic Cultural Center and Mosque from the shadow of our hallowed Ground Zero. http://www.honor911victims.com/ Thank you and may God bless you.

Tony Morgano

• Randy-g August 30, 2010 at 7:41 PM

Great piece John. While beck is a bit over the top for me, his heart is right. And 3-5 hundred thousand (that showed up in person)and many millions more I am sure, have their hearts right too.

• Brandon August 30, 2010 at 7:56 PM

So what you're saying is that Obama promised change, but the fact of the matter is, he cannot do it alone. Everyone has to change in order for it to work. People need to get off their asses and do something instead of expecting someone to do it for them so they can reap the benefit of the hard work of another person. Or am I missing this entirely?

• John Carey August 30, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Thanks for the comment Randy. I agree with you on Beck, but I really feel he pulled this off and yes his heart is definitely in the right place. He cares deeply about our country and he is following his heart. I applaud him for that.

• Maggie Thornton August 30, 2010 at 10:01 PM

John, what a wonderful and important post. I too thought I was ultra-conservative until the housing melt-down, when I realized that the Community Reinvestment Act was destroying our economy and society, and I had never heard of them, or if I had, I didn't try to learn more about them.

As you say, we have always had the power to stop "it." This is what we must do when Republicans get enough control to be effective. We must carry our Constitution in our pocket and find a way to call-out any politician on our side who is straying. I pray the fire will burn in our bellies forever.

Thanks so much for sharing the "feeling" at the rally. How exciting that you could attend this historic event.

• John Carey August 30, 2010 at 10:01 PM

I think maybe you have missed my point Brandon. I'm saying that the reason we as a nation are struggling is because we have allowed it to happen. We allowed corruption to creep into Washington by not standing up and holding our elected representatives accountable. We allowed a President that clearly embraces Marxist principles to be elected because we failed to take the time to critically examine the man. We have ignored the fact that for years our Constitution has been shredded by a Congress that sees it as nothing more than obstacle for their big government ideology. We have allowed this to happen because many of us have compromised our principles and was satisfied with the status quo. Understand that I write these words from the perspective of a conservative.

• John Carey August 30, 2010 at 10:08 PM

Thanks for the kind words Maggie. I actually listened to on my sat radio here in North Dakota. I was still just as moved though as if I was there.

• Matt August 30, 2010 at 10:12 PM

This is a fantastic post, John. I have to admit that I coasted in terms of my involvement during most of the Bush years. You are right, we allowed this to happen. We didn't hold our elected officials accountable. We slept while government grew, and too much money was spent. And then, enough of us were asleep to elect Pelosi, Reid, and Obama.

We can never go back to complacency. Our opponents will not, neither can we.