SENTRY JOURNAL » 9/11, NYC, Pentagon, terrorism, tribute, Twin Towers, United Flight 93, Video » Video: "Never Forgotten" 9/11 Tribute

Video: "Never Forgotten" 9/11 Tribute

Most people know exactly where they were when they first heard the news on that September morning nine years ago today.  I was in the military and my wife and I had returned from leave a few days early.  We were at home having breakfast when it was first reported that a passenger jet crashed into one of the twin towers in NYC.  My wife and I like many of you watched as events unfolded and with each passing moment our hearts sank as a feeling of helplessness washed over us.

We both realized that America had changed in an instant and that we must never forget the moment and how we felt about it.  We must never forget those that lost their lives with these brutal acts of terrorism.  We must never forget the courage of the first responders and how many sacrificed their lives to save the lives of the mothers, fathers, children, sisters, brothers, husbands, wives, sons, and daughters trapped in the twin towers.  We must never forget the senseless loss of the lives of the men and women at the Pentagon as a third passenger jet slammed into the symbol of our defense.  And finally we must never forget the countless lives that were saved by the courageous acts of the 37 passengers of United Airlines flight 93, the fourth of three jets that crashed near Shanksville Pennsylvania.  Flight 93 passenger Todd Breamer managed to place a call to a customer service representative, who forwarded the call to GTE supervisor Lisa Jefferson.  Breamer provided her with intel on the hijackers and informed her that he and a number of passengers were planning to “jump on” the hijackers and fly the plane into the ground before the hijackers could complete their mission.  Breamer’s last audible words were “Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.”

Below is a video I found here that I feel captures the moment of that day nine years ago.

God Bless America.

Filed under: 9/11, NYC, Pentagon, terrorism, tribute, Twin Towers, United Flight 93, Video

Comments
  • Right Hand Man September 11, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I was living in Portland. I was driving in a busy area that morning when the President came in over the radio to address the nation for the first time since the attacks. I will never forget it…traffic stopped in order to listen. My "a day that will live in infamy" moment was more profound. It was when the President said, "Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve."

Prior to 9-11 I had no reason to question or understand the foundation and fabric of what is America. 9-11 opened my eyes to a lot of things. It awakened a love for my country, and even more so for freedom.

Thanks for the post and the video John…and may we never forget.

• Matt September 11, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Thanks for the post and video John. It is a fitting tribute.

• Maggie Thornton September 11, 2010 at 7:19 PM

My hubby was away on business. I had 4 carpenters in my home, their first day on the job. Fox and Friends was on the TV. Just minutes after the men arrived, the first plane hit the first building. I stood crying with 4 very polite strangers who were just as horrified as I was.

Thank you for the video John and the memories of you and your wife. Just think, if we did not have videos, what we would not know.

• Teresa September 11, 2010 at 8:33 PM

I was driving from Pittsburgh to Steubenville that day. What's weird is that I heard that the plane that crashed in Shanksville had just entered eastern Ohio when it changed course.

Thank you for this wonderful post and video John. That video certainly brought back a whole lot of emotions for me. Yes, we must never forget that day. God Bless America!

• John Carey September 12, 2010 at 12:23 AM

Great words from a President when we as a nation needed to hear them Right. Thanks for the comments my friend.

• John Carey September 12, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Thank you Matt and thank you for your post. We must never forget.

• John Carey September 12, 2010 at 12:38 AM

Maggie thank you for the wonderful tribute over at your site.

• John Carey September 12, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Thanks for sharing Teresa. I will never forget where I was or how I felt. It is forever a part of me.

• Ryan September 12, 2010 at 1:45 AM

Very nice tribute. I remember exactly when I heard about the attack. I got a call from your very own Right Hand Man telling on that Tuesday morning.

In Seattle I only heard about one event, a stair climb done by firefighters in memory of the fallen heroes at ground zero. On the other spectrum the Unitarian church read from the Quran. You know everyone is going out of their way to say that America is not at war with Islam, but it seems like no one is asking the question is Islam at war with America? It is an interesting thought to ponder.

• Steve Dennis September 12, 2010 at 5:45 AM

Thanks for the link and for the video. That might be the best September 11th tribute video that I have seen.

• John Carey September 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Thanks Ryan for the comments. Good point on whether Islam is at war with America. I believe their Quran demands it after all we're all infidels.

• John Carey September 12, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Thanks Steve. I got the goose bumps when I first watched the video. I agree it was is one of the best I have seen.

• worldview October 19, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I was on the corner of Ocean Blvd and Long Beach Blvd waiting for the light to turn so I could cross the street when heard the news of the attack from the radio of a car that was stopped nearby. I will never forget. I lived in NYC for many years and worked in the Tower area. I cry and pray for all who were there when this tragedy and war came to us.