SENTRY JOURNAL » Daniel Knowles, elderly, forced move, France, Great Britain, housing crisis, seniors » News from Bizarro World: Let’s send our parents off to France

News from Bizarro World: Let’s send our parents off to France

Every now and then you read a story that makes you scratch your head and cringe at the same time.  Well I found another story from a place I call “Bizarro World” that has done just that.  From the Telegraph.co.uk Daniels Knowles a 22 year old graduate from Pembroke College, Oxford, wrote an article on the shortage and affordability of housing in Great Britain and what to do.  His solution was not only bizarre, but a bit creepy.  Young Knowles wants to send all of the retired Brits to France.

Boris Johnson has needled the real problem in this country – the reason why we’re never going to be able to go back to really cheap houses. Quite simply, there are too many of us. As Boris puts it, 10 million people are due to “crash land” into the country like a fleet of gliders on D-Day, and they all need somewhere to live. Well I would like to propose a solution. On one day in 1944 we managed to send 175,000 young men into France. Given twenty years, would it be so difficult to send 10 million?

Oh it gets much better.

As a nation we have clearly decided that we don’t want many more houses. Hating suburban sprawl goes back as far as suburbia – the ugliness of new houses was something even George Orwell and Evelyn Waugh could agree on – but only now are we in the enviable position where we can probably avoid making it worse. How so? Well thankfully, a large chunk of the population doesn’t have to go to work, and so probably doesn’t need to be here at all. Not the unemployed I mean – but retired people. Conveniently, there are almost exactly 10 million of them, and that number is only going to grow. Wouldn’t they like to relocate en masse to somewhere a little cheaper?

So for the better of the collective, Knowles believes the best solution is to send all the retired people that are no longer productive members of society to France in a period of 20 years.

You may ask how we’d pay for it, but it’s simple. Young people can cough up – we’re happy to, providing we can move into the newly empty houses. By the latest measure, the average first time buyer is 37. I’m 22, so apparently I have a good fifteen years left before I’m likely to be able to buy somewhere. Since I’m working in journalism, and living in London, even that number is probably hopeful. Rather than make us wait decades to buy ugly Barratt boxes, old people should just sell us theirs.

So how do we bring about this great migration? Obviously we can’t actually force pensioners onto planes, but surely we could give them an incentive to go? I’ve not worked out the best way yet, but exclusively from the evidence of my parents and their friends, I’d start with a hefty tax on golf courses.

You can read the entire article here.

So let me see if I understand where this naive little twit is coming from.  As a thank you for those brave men and women that stood against Hitler and saved England from the darkness of NAZI Germany, Knowles wants to kick them out of the country they love and send them to a country that most Brits find a tad revolting.  This is another fine example of the socialistic brainwashing that has been going on in England and in Europe for years.  The collective must always come first.  The working class must be provided for while those who are not producing are cast aside.  Sound familiar…I’m thinking Marxism.  Mr. Knowles’ misguided aim completely misses the mark on so many levels of compassion and understanding.  His willingness to trade off the experience and wisdom of Great Britain’s elderly for cheaper housing reveals just how shallow the youth has become in England.

We can only hope that we are doing a better job here in America with our youth.  If not start looking north towards Canada for a nice plot of land because it will be only a matter of time before our seniors are next.

Filed under: Daniel Knowles, elderly, forced move, France, Great Britain, housing crisis, seniors

Comments
  • Matt October 19, 2010 at 12:04 AM

John, the fail in this man's logic has surpassed my ability to respond to it. This goes beyond facepalm, to facedesk.

• Reaganite Republican October 19, 2010 at 1:09 AM

Well, Britain IS packed… and although this guy seems like a kook with the forced relocation, plenty already go to France/Spain to retire or otherwise, simply a better life for less than England, London is insane compared to Paris, which is lovely

But IMO Spain would be a best place to be, and many Brits now go there to vaca/retire. Prices have crashed too, and California type weather. I think this kid would have something if he was just talking incentives. And with EasyJet, they can fly the grandkids over for $100 !

BUT no need for the government age-cleansing programs, pay the pensions and allow an overseas HC allowance and they'll do as they please.

• Gorges Smythe October 19, 2010 at 1:53 AM

And may I suggest putting sheep on all the golf course and forcing the players to wear kilts? It would seperate those who truly love the sport from those who merely meddle at it and would sort of return the sport to its "roots." Besides, I'm sure they probably need the meat to feed all those hungry English journalists!

• Steve Dennis October 19, 2010 at 4:26 AM

It is more than a little frightening to know that there are young people out there who think that it is acceptable to "eliminate" those that they fell are no longer productive members of society–the useless eaters–I can only hope that this type of logic isn't too pervasive in young culture. However after years of indoctrination I have a feeling more people think this way than I care to think about.

• John Carey October 19, 2010 at 5:17 AM

I'm with you Matt, I found this story quite disturbing…scary. Thanks for stopping by.

• John Carey October 19, 2010 at 5:21 AM

Thanks for the comments RR. I don't have a problem is Britain's seniors leave on their own accord. My issue is this article leans toward forcing seniors to leave be creating an unfavorable environment in England. The whole thought process of this kid just is just creepy.

• John Carey October 19, 2010 at 5:22 AM

Anything is possible GS.

• John Carey October 19, 2010 at 5:25 AM

I agree Steve. This is the end product of that brainwashing I mentioned in the post. They're doing the same thing in our own public schools with leftist indoctrination. This is why we need to stay engaged with what they are teaching our children or we're going to end up with monsters like this that see the elderly as a burden and not a national treasure.

• fleeceme.net October 19, 2010 at 6:59 AM

Going to play devil's advocate here a little, is it possible the writer was trying to channel a little Swiftian satire in his article a la "lets eat babies to reduce the population"? It just seems that from the voice and slant of the piece, he was trying to be humorous.

Not saying I am correct, I'm just saying….

• John Carey October 19, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I believe he was to a point, but sometimes it takes humor to present radical ideas. As they say in every joke there is a bit of truth. Thanks for the comments Fleece.