SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » The greatest hope for our republic resides in each of us

The greatest hope for our republic resides in each of us

Today the 112th congress read the constitution out loud on the House floor.  There has been a great deal of conjecture by the talking heads in the MSM and a few liberal morons as to meaning behind it all.  Some have made the assertion that it is nothing more than a gimmick; one intended to appease the new political force in the room; the tea party movement.  Others believe that it’s an earnest effort by a new wave of conservatives to steer us back towards a constitutional republic.  I believe it’s a bit of both.  The new conservatives who were swept into Washington on a tidal wave of voter discontent have promised a new way of thinking in D.C.  They made a pledge to America, House rules were changed, the move to repeal ObamaCare was put into motion, and the constitution was read out loud.  Change is in the air or is it.  For some strange reason I feel like we have played this game before and each time we end up losing.

Not to sound pessimistic but I recall that in 1994 Republicans were swept into power by a very similar tidal wave of voter discontent.  They had a contract with America and promised things were about to change in Washington.  They hit the ground running in 1994 and balanced the budget.  They made President Clinton look like the genius he was not.  It appeared we were going to turn around the republic and whittle down our $4 trillion dollar national debt.  By the end of the day when the sun set on their run in 2006 the national debt had doubled to $8 trillion dollars and the republic was in worse shape than they had found it.  How could this be?  They were conservatives with the best intentions and yet they failed in their quest to reduce the size of government even when they controlled both Houses and the Presidency from 2001 to 2006.  Now I know the attack on America on 911 changed a great deal things; however our national debt was trending upwards by the time George Bush raised his right hand.  From 1994 to 2001 it increased from $4.8 trillion to $5.9 trillion.  You can view all the statistics here.

So what went wrong?

I believe that the problem in Washington is the mindset of the typical politician.  There is a mindset that they can do whatever they please without any constitutional limitations.  This tells me they have very little use for our constitution and feel it’s no longer relevant in today’s conversation.  Oh sure they will use it as a prop whenever they feel it serves them; but the facts are the facts and we conservatives claim all the time to follow the facts to wherever they lead us.  And the undeniable fact we cannot hide from is that for the last 80 years our government has continued to grow in size.  They have continued to operate outside the parameters of their constitutional authority and the cost has been high in terms of liberties lost.  If our elected officials truly revered the document they take an oath to support and defend this growth and encroachment on our liberties should never have happened and yet the facts are the facts.

Instead we end up with a bunch of elitists from both sides of the aisle that could care less about the constitution or your individual liberties.  The oath they take is meaningless and as empty as their desire to adhere to the constitution.  Dr. Kevin Gutzman, a constitutional scholar and author of Who killed the Constitution speaks of the current mindset in Washington in relation to the constitution in the below clip.  It’s about 14 minutes long but a must for anyone that wants to restore our constitutional republic.  I have listened to Dr. Gutzman speak a number of times and find he is as good as it get when it pertains to the constitution.

So where does this leave us?  What can we do?  The first thing we must all do is educate ourselves.  We must find the time in our days to read the constitution, the federalist papers, and any other supporting documents.  We need to do this so we can make an informed decision about the intent and purpose of the document.  The citizenry must be an informed group or we will become the pawns of the left and right.  We the people still drive this car at least for now and we must continue to keep our eyes on the ball.  We must have the knowledge to be able to see through the smoke and mirrors of government and this only happens with an informed people.  We must elect constitutionally minded officials to office at all levels of government.  From the judicial to the local school board director we must know what they stand for and who they are.  No longer can we afford to be asleep at the wheel.  The sooner we accept the facts as they are, the sooner we can begin to restore our constitutional republic.

The greatest hope for the republic does not reside in a politician or a judge…it resides in each of us.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • Colin January 7, 2011 at 2:41 AM

You make a good point John. Coupled with reading the Constitution, we also need to do a little mental exercise and actually imagine America if she were to follow the Constitution.

We must imagine the size of the federal government, which would be minute compared to now. We must imagine the new roll our states would take in such a “new” government, and be prepared to be an active participant in our state and local governments. We must imagine a streamlined and defensive only military that is more at home than abroad.

Most importantly, we must recognize the huge amount of freedom this would give every single one of us. Because with that freedom comes gobs of responsibility. Basically, we would all be on our own. No big government nanny would be watching our backs anymore – no more FDA making sure our foods are safe (not sure they do that now) no more FCC making sure we don’t hear bad things on the radio, no more FAA protecting our airlines (again, not sure they do it anymore). The point is the America we are all accustomed to would be changed drastically, and it is something I think few of us have taken into consideration.

Speaking for myself, I would love for all those programs “protecting” me to go the hell away. But I am not so sure many people would be. Not to mention, we all need to truly know what we are wishing for before we get on our knees and pray for it.
    Colin recently posted..NY Times covers for “Big Earth” – large contributor to global warmingMy Profile

• John Carey January 7, 2011 at 6:16 AM

Thanks for the comments Colin. I agree it would change things drastically. This is why I said we must first educate ourselves so we can once again become an informed citizenry. Without that all we are is an ignorant mob that just might not know what to do with freedom and liberty.

• Steve Dennis January 7, 2011 at 5:38 AM

Great post John and you are right, the answer lies in the people. For the most part the people head to the polls and vote, then they go back to their lives and forget about politics until the next election. People need to pay attention to what is happening in Washington and they have to aske themselves if what is going on is right. I think that people are finally beginning to see what is happening and I think that people are paying closer attention. At least I hope so, we don’t have much time left if Americans do not get more involved.

• John Carey January 7, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Thanks Steve. My biggest concern is that the Republicans are just going to throw the Tea Party movement a bone and then go back to their same old big government ways. I hope I am wrong but the pattern is there. I know I sound like negative Ned here, but I think we all need to go into this with eyes wide open.

• RandyG January 7, 2011 at 7:08 AM

It will take a lot more than throwing the tea party a bone…..The Republicans are under a microscope by all of us, and the rino purge is far from over!
    RandyG recently posted..Speaker No LongerMy Profile

• John Carey January 7, 2011 at 7:28 PM

I sincerely hope so Randy. We need to keep this going.

• Bunkerville January 7, 2011 at 8:52 AM

When I hear the chirping that Obama has made the turn to the middle, and his poll numbers shoot up, I must admit, it causes alarm. We must reach more than oursleves if we are to turn this. Many have been turned off by our educational system, and/or received little if any instruction regarding our heritage. I was fortunate. A year of civics in High School as well as a trip to D.C. were required. We visited our congressman and Senator, and observed our government in action. Something that I have not forgotton. Perhaps this would be a beginning.

• John Carey January 7, 2011 at 7:27 PM

I agree that we definitely need to reach more than our circle of friends. We need to be willing to walk into the lions den. Our educational system is in a sad state of affairs. We as parents and citizens need to stay engaged and set the bar high for our educators and schools. Thanks for the comments.

• Jim Gourdie January 7, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Another great post, John. You are absolutely right when you say the responsibility lays with the people and nobody else. Our Constitution stars our WE The People…It was intended that the people be vigilant. The demise of Our America is our doing.
    But don’t lose faith, John. I think the Tea Parties are for real. They will not be satisfied with a bone or two.
    Jim Gourdie recently posted..Dodd-Frank – Good- Bad- or UglyMy Profile

• John Carey January 7, 2011 at 7:36 PM

I hope you are right Jim. The Tea Party needs to stay engaged and remind these men and women who represent us that they serve us.

• Teresa January 7, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Great post, John! Yes, the most important thing is for the people to be educated and know what is unconstitutional, constitutional, and in addition what rights we the people have according to the constitution. We need to start taking powers away from the federal government (powers that the federal govt is not entitled to according to the constitution). I really think that the people have more awareness and are more educated about the country’s current state of affairs then they were in 1994. I believe the Tea Parties are here to stay and will keep that awareness alive.
    Teresa recently posted..A Pessimist versus an Optimist on the State of EnergyMy Profile

• John Carey January 7, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I believe that people are indeed waking up but we always need more Teresa. I will keep a close eye on the congress to see where they take us and wait for 2012 to continue with the purge. Thanks for the comments.

• Matt January 7, 2011 at 10:24 PM

I think many of us are reaching the same conclusion: That we the people are the source of the real change that we are seeking. Politicians become corrupted, the people can change the world.

• John Carey January 7, 2011 at 10:30 PM

Well said Matt. We are the key.

• Trestin Meacham January 8, 2011 at 2:00 AM

It seems that we stand at a crossroads. Two paths, and we are the only ones who can decide.

• John Carey January 8, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Indeed Trestin. The question is will we choose wisely?