SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » The left, the right, and our irreconcilable differences

The left, the right, and our irreconcilable differences

The division between the left and right in this country has grown deeper and more vocal these past few years.  The left accuses the right of promoting fascist polices while the right accuses the left of advancing a socialistic agenda.   I could never understand the fascist charge because fascism sits on the left side of the political spectrum.  I guess it was just another label to stick on the right to demonize and marginalize the conservative cause.  The one thing I do know about the left is they embrace tactics that stir up racial division and promote class warfare, using emotionally charged rhetoric.  When I say they use emotionally charged rhetoric, what I mean by this is they base their arguments on emotional appeal and not on facts.  In recent years the left has cranked up the volume tenfold with the emotional nonsense they spew.  The right finally reached a point where enough was enough and started standing their ground on a number of issues.  This created a volatile political environment, one that had not been seen in our country for a long time.

Now don’t get me wrong, I welcome political discourse and open debate on the issues.  It’s a crucial and necessary thing for our Constitutional Republic.   Without it we cease being a republic and we become a democracy where the mob decides the fate for the other 49 percent of the nation; a design our founders soundly rejected.

Throughout our young history we have been deeply divided on a number of issues but no matter how divided we were somehow we always manage to find common ground.  The only time we didn’t find common ground as a nation was on the issue of slavery and that led to a terrible civil war.  Somewhere during the national conversation on slavery both sides decided their differences were irreconcilable.   They stopped listening to each other and communication ceased.  Some believe that the differences became irreconcilable at the point when South Caroline became the first State to secede from the Union.  Others believe it was when they fired upon Fort Sumter.  I believe that both were simply the results of some sort of irreconcilable event that took place in Washington D.C. long before South Carolina decided it was in their best interest to secede.

Think about Julius Caesar and when he crossed the Rubicon.  As many of you know the Rubicon River is located just outside of Rome and was used as a marker for Roman Legions not to cross because it was forbidden according to the constitution of the Roman Republic.  Any commander who ordered his legions to cross it was committing an act of treason.  At some point Julius Caesar arrived at a place in his mind where he believed his differences with the Roman Senate were irreconcilable, forcing his hand to commit treason and march on Rome.  The moment he crossed the Rubicon; he became a traitor to the State in the Senate’s eyes.  However like South Carolina’s decision to secede, I believe that his decision to cross the river was a reaction to some irreconcilable event that took place long before he decided to march on Rome.  Perhaps it was the Senate’s refusal to supply his legions or their order for him to disband his Army.  It really doesn’t matter when the line was crossed, the fact is it was crossed and both Caesar and the Senate’s differences became irreconcilable.  The end result of these differences led to the assassination of Caesar and a bloody civil war that brought an end to the Roman Republic and ushered in the age of the Roman Empire.

The one thing that both the above described events had in common was that at some point both sides stopped talking and listening to each other.  Both sides decided that their differences were so great that there was no other option left but the move on without the other.  My concern is we are rapidly reaching this point in terms of the left and right in this country.  With each issue, the debate has become more divisive and reasonable people are beginning to choose sides.  Many on the hard left and hard right have already decided that their differences have become irreconcilable.  For the left, these are the people who labeled the tea party movement as racists.  They are the ones who immediately jumped to conclusions and placed blame on Sarah Palin and conservative talk radio for the tragic event that took place in Arizona just over a week ago. As for the right I can only speak for myself.  My irreconcilable moment came when I first realized that the left was now controlled by socialists and communists calling themselves progressives.

I came to realize that I my conservative values and principles would not permit me to compromise with a bunch of communists and socialists posing as Democrats; Democrats who desired some mythical utopia state where value is placed with the collective and the individual is censured.  It was at this point that I found myself not caring what the left had to say anymore.  I no longer wanted to communicate with the left because they had nothing of value to add to the discussion.  Lately I see more and more on the right finding their own irreconcilable differences with the left as ties are severed and the division grows deeper.  The left is finding the same type of differences with the right.  Many on both sides have given up on each other and are now battling for the hearts and minds of the middle.  We have our own newspapers, websites, and blogs, and we’re all sticking together.  We are all starting to choose sides and no longer communicating with each other in a productive manner.  We have decided that our differences are far too great and we are resolved to move on without the other.  Is this a good thing or a bad thing?  I don’t have the answer; however like the above examples of Julius Caesar and South Carolina, when they stopped communicating an explosive political environment was created that ended badly for both sides.

So the question is have we reached a point in this country where the differences between the right and left are irreconcilable?  My hunch is we’re close and sooner or later one side or the other is going to seek some type of resolution without the other; a choice that could lead to our own demise.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • Fuzzy January 19, 2011 at 12:25 PM

Excellent post. I think that you’re right about irreconcilable differences between the left and the right and the battle for the middle. I believe in my heart of hearts that Americans, most Americans, love America and want the American Dream. What they don’t understand is that the left is trying to destroy both. How we reach them, I just don’t know, but we have to. We have to find a way to show the left, today’s “Democrats” who are really socialists and communists, for what they are.

One thing I’ve been trying with my liberal friends is asking them why a “blue dog Democrat” is called that when in JFK’s time they’d be “Democrats.” If “blue dogs” are what Dems used to be then what the hell are “Democrats” now? It’s a question that makes them think a little. That has to be a good thing.

As to the rest, as a country, we’ve faced down progressives and socialists and radicals before. Granted, they never got all the way to the WH and in every branch of government before, but they still haven’t taken the mask off, so they don’t feel safe. If they don’t feel safe, we can still win. Count on it.
    Fuzzy recently posted..BO and Hu- Amateur Meets Leader- What To ExpectMy Profile

• John Carey January 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM

I applaud your effort to keep the lines of communication open. However I do believe there is a certain segment on both sides that are simply done with each other. I believe this divide became greater after the Arizona shooting.
      John Carey recently posted..The left- the right- and our irreconcilable differencesMy Profile

• Fuzzy January 20, 2011 at 3:58 AM

This is certainly true among those of us who closely follow politics, but the majority of Americans do not. The liberals that I know, with few exceptions, still believe that the Democratic Party is that old pro-fiscal responsibility, anti-communist, pro-middle America, pro-free market party of old. Sure it was peppered with progressives all along, but never dominated by them. Certainly not as it is now. This is where we lose ground because not highlighting how far left the dems have lunged (they aren’t even “liberals” anymore, they are socialist progressives) gives them “cover.” Everything they say is filtered through citizen dems’ misunderstanding of the ideology that drives that party now.

Rather than defending conservative principles, many with which the majority of Americans agree, we may do well to point out the difference between what sprogs are saying now and what the traditional dems themselves believe. I was constantly taken aback during the Scott Brown campaign here in MA, for instance, by how vehement citizen dems are in still believing that they support something that has long been eclipsed by radicals and anti-/unAmerican ideology. There are a lot of so-called Reagan democrats who simply don’t see what has happened to the democratic party. This is because of lies, misdirection, and media cover, in large part, and also because they pay only partial attention to what is being said and none at all to what is being done (and how that differs greatly from what is being said). Giving up on them makes no sense if we are to gain any more ground (and we have to).

As to the far left on the net and in the fringe media, I totally agree. They are a lost cause–they know, embrace, and actively conceal the socialist-progressive agenda.

• John Carey January 20, 2011 at 6:23 AM

I definitely can relate to what you are saying and I agree that there are a number of good Americans that still carry the banner of a party that was morphed into something else a long time ago and they don’t even know it. I have a good friend that leans left and I have pointed out this radical shift in his party’s ideology and he simply doesn’t see it. I have presented the facts to him and he chooses to turn away from them because he believes my sources are right wing propaganda machines. It’s almost like they are in complete denial about the socialistic platform that is now being advanced by those that control their party.

I also agree with you when you say they are indeed masters of manipulation. The use emotional appeal instead of facts. They have mastered this tactic and many continue to fall for it. I’m with you when you say there are still a number of Democrats that we can get through to. But sometimes I feel like I’m banging my head against the wall.

• Colin January 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I think many on the left are already seeking a resolution without regards to the right, in the form of the many attempts at destroying our constitution. The right (the real right, not politicians) puts confines on its political aspirations in the form of that document, the left feels no such compulsion. To them, the Constitution is an annoyance that needs to be worked around.
    Colin recently posted..Does the Military Leadership Diversity Council actually serve a purposeMy Profile

• Jim Gourdie January 19, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I see the divide more like the difference between good and evil. Only one side wants to impose their views on everyone else, the Left. if the we, the Right, prevail, there would be a minimum of government interference in the lives of our citizens. If those who believe in socialism want to go off and live in communes, they can do so. However, if the Left wins, we all are doomed to live under socialism whether we want to or not. As bad as things are economically at this time, no one that I’m aware of is talking about taking power by force. Caesar crossing the Rubicon was the threat to use force.
    Jim Gourdie recently posted..How Safe Do You Feel Knowing DHS Is On The JobMy Profile

• John Carey January 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM

I always wondered why those who wish to impose their socialistic will upon the rest of us, simply don’t leave and move to a nation that suits their political ideology. Then it hit me, as long as we remain a beacon for those seeking liberty and freedom, these other countries embracing this flaw ideology will eventually fall. Thanks for the comments Jim.

• LD Jackson January 19, 2011 at 9:35 PM

Well done, John and very thought provoking. Reading your post really started me thinking and made me wonder just how to repair any irreconcilable differences we may have in America. One thing we must to is continue talking to each other. If we stop doing that, we are going to be really big trouble.

As for my irreconcilable difference with the left, that came during the aftermath of the shooting in Arizona and how the left so drastically jumped on the right and blamed them for the shooting, with no evidence at all.
    LD Jackson recently posted..Is Economic Recovery Just Around The CornerMy Profile

• Matt January 19, 2011 at 11:58 PM

I am one of those people that have given up on the left. We’re past a point when we can look at the left as a “principled opposition.” They aren’t like us. Their behavior, as in lying about the Az shooting, is proof of that . It’s us or them, we’re going to be free, or we’re going to be dominated. I’m not one to use violence, and I condemn it, but there are those on the left that are openly calling for revolution.
    Matt recently posted..Irony Alert- Tucson Victim Blames Palin-Gets Arrested for Death ThreatsMy Profile

• Martin January 20, 2011 at 8:32 AM

John, I sincerely wish that I could disagree with you. This was chilling to read in such stark and clear terms. My moment of realization wasn’t a singular event but a gradual realization that the “master plan” of the left, organized by John Dewey in the education establishment, has come to fruition. We now have generations of people without the intellectual wherewithal to engage in honest discussion.

We no longer have common ground upon which to stand. Although I disagree with Christopher Hitchens on many if not most of his views, his kind is no longer to be found among the left.

We’ve produced a society full of people with neither the moral, social, or intellectual capacity to govern themselves.

Your point is well taken regarding the battle for the hearts and minds of the middle, but I would refine it a little and suggest that our focus needs to be on those standing on at least some common ground. Only then is there something upon which to build a dialog.

Like you suggest, it is pointless to have a discussion with someone who doesn’t see communism or socialism as anything but alternative political systems which might be equally valid or even preferable to our own. If they can ignore, overlook, or blithely discount the bloody history of China, Germany, Cuba, or the USSR and still suggest that such systems are anything less than intrinsically evil, then how can you speak with them?

The Founders shared a common belief that rights were intrinsically given to man by their Creator. In other words, whatever their differences, they shared a fundamental principal that government was subordinate to God and by extension, subordinate to them. This concept is alien to many today.

• John Carey January 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM

You nailed it when you said that the founders had a common strand even though they fundamentally differed in their political ideologies. That strand was a creator. I’m not sure we even have this anymore Martin and that is truly sad.
      Thanks for the comment.

• Teresa January 20, 2011 at 10:46 PM

We are so divisive because one side – the Right – believes in America, the Founders, their principles, and morality whereas the other side – the Left – just wants to tear all of that down. I used to go to liberal blogs to try and persuade them but I don’t anymore. Its pretty much a waste of my time now. I used to have some liberal friends but it became so contentious between us and they only would allow one point of view politically -theirs – that we ended up parting ways a few months back. I would listen, try and compromise with them on issues but they were so rigid and hateful to the “Right” that I can’t say the same for them. I, too, fear that some type of new civil war is going to happen in this country.
    Teresa recently posted..A Joke – I Just couldnt ResistMy Profile

• […] Sentry Journal describes some of the irreconcilable differences between the left and the right. […]