SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Friday Ramblings: From the Hall of Fame to Smoke and Mirrors

Friday Ramblings: From the Hall of Fame to Smoke and Mirrors

This past week my mind has been all over the place as to what events I would like to write about.  I have always wanted the SENTRY JOURNAL to be about original thought provoking posts and for the last two months I hope I’ve delivered.  I didn’t want to rehash the daily news stories with my own spin; I felt like there were plenty of great conservative sites already doing an outstanding job exposing the progressive agenda.  I made my mind up that I wanted to do something different.  I wanted to mix it up; writing about current political events, American history, and my personal experiences as a conservative living in our constitutional republic on the ropes.  So for me the next logical step is what I call Friday Ramblings.  Friday Ramblings is about the conversations I’ve had with people during the past week; conversations that range from politics to sports.  I know many of you can relate to this because most of you have had the same talks.

This week was no different.  So off I go with my ramblings.  The week started off with a football Hall of Fame discussion.  I actually debated whether Deion Sanders should have been inducted into the Hall of Fame before WR Chris Carter.  Both players were selected to eight Pro Bowls.  When Chris Carter retired he was number two all time in career receptions and touchdowns behind the great Jerry Rice and he held that position for six years.  He is one of only six players to ever have over a 1,000 receptions.  Deion Sanders was a great defensive back with incredible closing speed.  His 53 interceptions ranks 23rd on the NFL all time interception list and he does hold the NFL record for defensive scores, with 19 touchdowns.  It was his tackling that was suspect his entire career.  Many even claimed that he didn’t like to tackle and did everything to avoid it.  Chris Carter had some drug problems early in his career, but overcame them through his faith in God.  He became a model NFL player the rest of his playing days.  Deion Sanders was a showboat for pretty much his whole career and even earned the nickname Prime Time.  Chris Carter was nominated for the Hall of Fame three times, while this was Deion’s first year of eligibility.  Chris Carter should have been inducted into the Hall of Fame before Deion Sanders.  That’s my opinion and I’m sticking with it.

Later on in the week I had a discussion with a good friend of mine about how I thought the Republicans were blowing it.  They seem more concerned with putting on a show for us than actually doing things to significantly reduce spending and limit the growth of government.  My friend told me that there was really no difference between the two parties anymore; one party is just more obvious about their desire for big government solutions than the next.  After watching John McCain once again drift back to the left, and Lindsey Graham bring up immigration reform I was finding it hard to argue with his logic.  I do understand that both McCain and Graham are RINOs, but they are also part of the establishment and do steer the direction of the conservative conversation in the party.  I also felt like Paul Ryan’s debt ceiling discussion with Ben Bernanke was nothing but a show to appease the masses.  I like Paul Ryan; but I’m beginning to think this is more about creating the illusion of fixing a problem than actually rolling up our sleeves and tackling our spending problem.  I’m sorry but cutting $74 billion in spending is a drop in the bucket when you are talking about a trillion dollars in deficit spending.  This means we’re still heading towards a financial cliff.  Rand Paul appears to be one of only a few who understands how serious our debt problem is.  He has proposed $500 billion in spending cuts, and that my friends is what I call a good start.  In the end we both agreed that we shouldn’t expect a great deal from this congress.  It will take a few more cycles to purge more RINOs and establishment Republicans from the ranks and pick off some vulnerable Democratic seats.

These were a few of my conversations from this past week.  I wanted to share them with you to give you an idea of what’s being discussed in the trenches.  They key point about these talks is staying engaged with current events.  This concludes my Friday Ramblings.  If you like it let me know.  If you think it is dumb let me know.  I welcome any feedback.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • KingShamus February 11, 2011 at 8:37 AM

I’m willing to cut the GOP some slack. ObamaCare has to be defeated somehow and to be honest, I dunno if the Republicans can actually walk and chew gum at the same time.

I think the biggest threat to free America is the Democrat’s health care deform. It would create a permanent bloc of voters who would demand statism. That has to be beaten first or every other battle we have–budgets, entitlements, the role of government–is going to be fought on ground of the left’s choosing.

$.02 kicked in.
    KingShamus recently posted..Egypt- Foreign Policy and A Possible Pro-War LeftMy Profile

• Country Thinker February 11, 2011 at 12:37 PM

Yes, $74 billion is a drop in the bucket, but I will be impressed and pleased if they can even pull off that much.

The problem is that interest on our public debt is the wild card that will kill us. Publicly held debt stood at around $5.8t at the end of fiscal 2008. Publcily held debt will double in Obama’s first term, meaning that our interest expense will be roughly double.

although it would take a couple of years to manifest itself, a back-of-the-envelope calculation shows a 3/4% increase in interest rates would erase the $74b in cuts. A downgrade in our credit rating or a couple of Fed increases would do that.

With each trillion we pile onto the heap, the interest rate threat grows. I fear we’re at the tipping point, so give me the $74b, and then get serious about the problem.

• Matt February 11, 2011 at 6:51 PM

My fear is that they will do 74b, if they can manage it, and then act as if the mission has been accomplished. We need to keep the pressure on these weasels.

• Steve Dennis February 11, 2011 at 7:10 PM

I agree with you that we shouldn’t expect too much from this Congress; Republicans simply do not have the numbers yet. The most that we can hope for is for them to slow down Barack Obama and I think that is possible with the numbers we do have. We need to win a larger majority (and hopefully the presidency) before we can expect them to accomplish anything close to what we are hoping for.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Republicans to introduce legislation which would stop the EPA from implementing cap and tradeMy Profile

• Infidel de Manahatta February 11, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Everyone talks a good game for cutting spending but when it actually comes time? Oh no, that would be painful they say. We need this.

But we are out of painless choices. There has to be deep and substantial spending cuts or the Republicans will be thrown out and the Democrats will be back in power in 2013.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..Charlie Sheen Explains Our National DebtMy Profile

• John Carey February 11, 2011 at 10:02 PM

It’s going to be very painful Manhattan. They have kicked the can so far down the road for so many years the time is up. We now must face painful choices and I personally don’t believe either part has the courage to attack the issues.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings- From the Hall of Fame to Smoke and MirrorsMy Profile

• Country Thinker February 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM

The only reason that many of the cuts will be “painful” is because we’ve grown accustomed to the spending. That is why I think the 111th Congress was a spend on anything and everything group. They jacked up the budgetary baseline so high that even $74b won’t touch most of the $400b+ in new spending from the last two years. But seriously, how painful would it really be to go back to, say, 2006 spending levels? If we did that we would be out of crisis mode, and ready to start with the “painful” choices.

One example of spending we have grown “accustomed” to is military bases. The military has begged Congress for decades to close a slew of them to bring down costs and improve efficiency. But no way, Dems and Reps squeal at the notion. “It will cost jobs!” they argue. No one argues that a private company shouldn’t close an aging and unneeded facility, however. The people working at unnecessary military bases should be happy they got years of employment, and not complain that the free ride on the gravy train is over.

• John Carey February 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM

It was Eisenhower that warned us against the industrial military complex and the dangers of it. We’re seeing just how counter-productive it has been since the 1960s. You’re right on the 111th. Their purpose was to jack up the spending so that turning back would be painful in my opinion. People don’t want to deal with the pain it’s easier to ignore our problems and say we will cross that bridge when we get there. The problem is that bridge has been out for a few years now and we’re heading for a cliff.
          John Carey recently posted..Teeing it Up- A Round at the LINKsMy Profile

• […] Journal: Friday Ramblings I also felt like Paul Ryan’s debt ceiling discussion with Ben Bernanke was nothing but a show to […]

• Teresa February 12, 2011 at 6:06 PM

We need to keep the heat on the GOP. The GOP establishment is getting so much pressure from the Tea Partiers I think that the establishment is caving in and agreeing to cut $100 billion (or at least try to) from Obama’s budget. It looks like its going to be a knock-down-drag-out political fight between the GOP and the Obama administration. I can’t wait to see this political drama unfold.
    Teresa recently posted..Whats Next For EgyptMy Profile

• John Carey February 13, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I agree Teresa that this is going to be a hard road to travel, but if we really want to have a grown up conversation about our problems, we need to seriously address our spending problem. We need to start looking at how a household would budget their dollars. If you had maxed out your credit limit on you card and you were having a hard time paying your bill would you stop the spending and try to get some of the card paid off or would you ask to have your credit limit increased so you could spend more money you don’t have? This is exactly what they are doing by raising the debt ceiling each time. Instead of tackling our spending problem our government is looking to increase its credit limit. Does this make any sense at all? Not to me.
      John Carey recently posted..Teeing it Up- A Round at the LINKsMy Profile

• theCL February 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM

Yeah, cutting $100 billion out of the federal budget is like you and me cutting $1 out of our own annual budget then pretending we’ve accomplished something.

We have a lot to learn from the people of Egypt. While they certainly haven’t achieved liberty, they have taken a step forward. They put their foot down, peacefully, and threw the dictator out. A $500 billion budget cut is small potatoes by comparison.

No more “cutting them slack.” No more patience. They work for us … or they don’t work at all.
    theCL recently posted..Best Read 02-06 – 02-12-2011My Profile