SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Friday Ramblings: From ObamaCare to the Huffington Post

Friday Ramblings: From ObamaCare to the Huffington Post

Welcome to another Friday and my ramblings from this past week.  This week was once again a very active week on the front-lines for many conservative bloggers.  The discussions I had in the trenches ranged from a government shutdown to D.C. federal judge’s absurd take on ObamaCare.  The two conversations I thought were the most interesting for me was the D.C. judge’s ruling that ObamaCare is indeed constitutional and one on Huffington post readers.

I’m not sure if you knew this, but earlier in the week a U.S. District judge Gladys Kessler, a Clinton appointee, ruled that ObamaCare was constitutional.  Now that’s pretty big news for Obama and I expected it to be all over the news and yet I did not see that much information on it.  Now maybe I completely missed the boat on this one, but I didn’t notice many leftwing news sites talking up this ruling.  So I decided to do my own research after my conversation with my friend to find out more information on this story.  It didn’t take that long to find it.  The following is an excerpt from her 64 page ruling on how she reached her decision that ObamaCare constitutional.

“It is pure semantics to argue that an individual who makes a choice to forgo health insurance is not ‘acting,’ especially given the serious economic and health-related consequences to every individual of that choice,” Kessler writes. “Making a choice is an affirmative action, whether one decides to do something or not do something. They are two sides of the same coin. To pretend otherwise is to ignore reality.”

You can read the entire article here>>

Now I see why there wasn’t a great deal of talk about this ruling.  Her reasoning and I use that term lightly takes us to a place where basically thoughts not to act on something are choices and therefore subject to regulating.  This sounds a lot like the movie Minority Report where you’re guilty of action based on your thoughts whether you have acted on it or not.  Now truthfully, how many Americans do you think are actually going to buy into the argument she makes?  Probably not many and my guess is the left knows this.  This is why this story was buried in my opinion.  Think about it, would you want to be the person defending this ruling against a country that tends to be center right.  I sure wouldn’t.

The second interesting discussion I had was over the Huffington Post and their comment section.  A friend I were discussing how union rhetoric was being ratcheted up.  He asked me if I ever read the Huffington Post.  I do occasionally however it’s not what you would call one of my go-to news outlets for information.  He said just read the comments for some of the more controversial stories and you will notice how inflammatory the comments are starting to become.  So that night I decided to check it out and I discovered that not only were many of the comments inflammatory; but some were just simply hateful at times.  He told me he has been doing this for years to get a feel for what those on the left are thinking.  He said it’s very informative and after reading some of the comments I highly recommend it.  You will gain a better understanding of their position and perhaps their reasoning and be in a better position to counter their flawed arguments.  It’s just a suggestion.

Those were some of my conversations in the trenches from this past week or as I like to call them, my Friday ramblings.

Have a great weekend.

Liberty forever, freedom for all.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • Jim Gourdie February 25, 2011 at 8:44 AM

It was a tough week and I suspect we are going to see alot of tough weeks for the next year or two. When ever I feel I’m losing the motivation to keep writing, I make a trip to Huffington Post. It always gets me worked-up and back to pounding the keyboard.

• LibertyAtStake February 25, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Aside from the fact Kessler’s ruling is a joke (the commerce clause regulates mental activity? AYFKM?), it has no bearing on the statute whatsoever so long as BHO’s administration fails to acquire a stay on Judge Vinson’s ruling. COB today = 25 days of BHO admin in contempt of Judge Vinson’s ruling.

Barry the “Constitutional Lawyer” should no better than represent the judicial process as some sort of “American Idol” vote. He’s either an incompetent Constitutional Lawyer or a liar when he does so.

d(^_^)b
    “Because the Only Good Progressive is a Failed Progressive”
    LibertyAtStake recently posted..An Open Letter To Our Unionized Public ServantsMy Profile

• RandyG February 25, 2011 at 4:00 PM

LAS, Barry is incompetent and a liar.
    Jim, many more tough weeks are ahead of us.
    John, stay the hell away from huff po! Bad neighborhood, even for a quick trip.
    RandyG recently posted..Another Obama MilestoneMy Profile

• Infidel de Manahatta February 25, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Inflammatory hate filled comments on left-wing websites? Do those racist teabaggers have no shame 🙂
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..Barbie Splits from KenMy Profile

• Teresa February 25, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I used to take a trip to the Huffington Post every now and then but haven’t done so for awhile. I didn’t see anything on the internet about the Obamacare ruling. I wonder if Obama had something to do with that ruling?
    Teresa recently posted..CAIR Individual PWNED by Rep Allen WestMy Profile

• John Carey February 26, 2011 at 7:00 AM

Yeah they pretty much buried the ruling. I believe it was because of the reasoning she used to justify her ruling. Not very mainstream, however it is very leftist and it exposes the left for the controlling liberty stealing people they are.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings- From ObamaCare to the Huffington PostMy Profile

• Country Thinker February 26, 2011 at 7:00 AM

If you want to see hate speech in action, go to Michelle Malkin’s website and take a look at the signs, rantings, and other atrocious conduct from union folks around the country in association with the protests. One liberal radio host in Wisconsin said the Lieutenant Governor (a woman) has performed fellatio on all the talk show hosts in Milwaukee.

• Country Thinker February 26, 2011 at 7:05 AM

Regarding Kessler’s logic, she effectively is saying that there is no such thing as inaction. That might comport with buddhist thinking, but I’ve never heard of that in legal thinking.

To take her thinking to the extreme, the government can force you to buy an electric car if it wishes.

• Steve Dennis February 26, 2011 at 7:14 AM

It was interesting the way the latest Obamacare ruling was not reported, I only found out about it from a comment on my blog. You would think that it would have gotten more coverage than it did–and you would think that Barack Obama or someone in his administration would at least mention it.
    I have read the comments on the Huffington Post every once and awhile and I concur–they are some of the most hate filled people you will ever come across.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Darrell Issa subpoenas two DHS employeesMy Profile

• John Carey February 26, 2011 at 7:43 AM

They are. I agree with my friend that it is definitely a way to gauge their anger and know where they’re going with their flawed logic. As for the ObamaCare ruling I still have not heard a great deal about it on the MSM. As I stated earlier, the left doesn’t want to touch her reasoning because most Americans will view it as a bit off the charts. They know this, so they are steering away from it.

• Matt February 26, 2011 at 9:40 AM

It’s interesting to compare the basic points between this decision, and the previous one. The previous one cites the Constitution, precedent, and even the Federalist Papers. This one, as you point out, stretches reality to the breaking point.

As for lefty sites, I sometimes enjoy going to see what they have to say. Many times, it’s Soros funded propaganda. It’s hateful, full of lies, threats, and so on. But, you always get a taste of the left.
    Matt recently posted..Glenn Beck vs Useful Idiots- Beck wins AgainMy Profile

• John Carey February 26, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Thanks for the comments Matt. The ruling was so far out there, even the MSM buried it. As for the Huffington Post…it was very informative.

• […] and will continue to protect us.  So, enjoy the demonstration of firepower, and click on the links.Friday Ranblings: From ObamaCare to the Huffington PostSci-Fi Short Story QuestionHillary Clinton And The Muslim BrotherhoodDarrell Issa subpoenas two […]