SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Rep Mike Pence: “It’s time to pick a fight.” It’s about time!

Rep Mike Pence: “It’s time to pick a fight.” It’s about time!

Is it me or are the Republicans being bullied around by the Democrats.  This past November Americans decided that our nation was on the wrong track and that the Democrats’ spending spree had to come to an end.  The Republicans were swept into power because Americans realized that the path we were on was unsustainable.  Republicans had the overwhelming support of the people back in November; they had the wind at their backs.  So what happened?

Since taking control of the House in January the Republicans charged out of the gates by immediately voting to repeal ObamaCare.   Even though their attempt at repeal had no chance of passing in the Senate (which it didn’t) it was necessary to demonstrate their resolve to eliminate ObamaCare.  However since that vote something has shifted in Washington.  The Democrats are once again using the tactic of emotional appeal to change the narrative.  We’re hearing how mean-spirited Republicans want to defund NPR and their desire to deny medical care for all the little children.  They gripe about cowboy poetry cuts and demand new constitutional rights to own a home, to have a job, and to steal your wealth as our nation continues to head for a financial train wreck cause by their policies.  They have decided that the best way to deflect the criticism they so richly deserve for mess they and the 111th have made of our republic is to attack and attack some more.  They need to change the narrative and attack the Republicans for cutting spending because their own dismal record is appalling.  What concerns me is the Republicans are letting them get away with this crap.  Where’s fire that we saw in November?  Where’s the outrage that Speaker Boehner displayed on the House floor when he yelled, “Hell no you didn’t!”

What we have now is a bunch of establishment Republicans fumbling around with rules and procedures afraid to upset the apple cart.  They have lost the initiative and risk losing a great deal more if they don’t get their act together soon.  When Michele Bachmann went on her one person crusade to educate her fellow Republicans about $105 billion of preloaded funding for ObamaCare that was inserted in the bill only days before the vote, only ten House Republicans showed up to a meeting she called to express her outrage and concern.  Only ten showed up!  I listened to her today on Sean Hannity’s radio show and you could hear the disappointment in her tone.  Michele Bachmann is trying to the right thing here and she can’t even get people in her own party to listen.  This in my opinion is an example of how irrelevant and inept they are becoming.  But not to worry there is some hope.

As the Senate squabbles over the House spending cuts and the gap between the two proposals shows no sign of closing, March 18th is right around the corner.  This is the date when the continuing resolution ends.  With deficit spending off the charts, yesterday Representative Mike Pence finally said it’s time to pick of fight with the Democrats over spending.  It’s about time.  Someone from the right is finally standing up and displaying some leadership.  Representative Pence is spot-on in his statement.  This is exactly what needs to happen if we hope to radically alter our course and avert an economic and financial meltdown.  America is flirting with bankruptcy and our useless elected officials are talking about cowboy poetry.  Are you kidding me?  Our government’s irresponsible spending could lead to a tsunami of economic woes the likes of which we have never seen.  It’s going to get ugly.

It’s time to stand on principle and say hell no to trillion dollar budget proposals.  It’s time to take the initiative back and drive the conversation.  It’s time to embrace reason and logic and discard nonsensical emotional rhetoric.  It’s time to get down to business and save our republic.  It’s time to pick a fight.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • Trestin Meacham March 10, 2011 at 2:34 AM

John, as usual, we are on the same page. This needs to be the say no congress, we simply have no room for compromise when it comes to our budget deficits.
    Trestin Meacham recently posted..I DONT BUY ITMy Profile

• LD Jackson March 10, 2011 at 5:08 AM

Well said, John. I have felt for a long time that the Republicans are to quick to allow the Democrats to seize the initiative and let them control the debate with their rhetoric. It’s been happening since the Bush presidency and before and it puzzles me why they allow this to happen. It’s almost as if they are afraid of a confrontation. I think it’s time they come out of their shell and tell the American people the truth, throwing it right in the face of the Democrats, if necessary.
    LD Jackson recently posted..President Obama Proposes Spending 90 Million On New AgencyMy Profile

• Steve Dennis March 10, 2011 at 5:54 AM

I am now of the opinion that the Republicans may have already blown the opportunity they were handed, I hope that Pence is serious and I hope that the Republicans do start going right at the Democrats because as I see it right now the Republicans are not willing to make the tough decisions either.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Kathleen Sebelius admits the administration is double counting on Obamacare to hide the impact on the federal deficitMy Profile

• John Carey March 10, 2011 at 11:11 PM

We shall see Steve. I personally believe that it will once again take some heat from the Tea Party. I know they need some heat from us. Write your senator and congressman or woman and let them know this is unacceptable.

• […] Jackson No comments yetAs I was browsing through my morning reading, one of my normal stops was at Sentry Journal, and there I found a post about Representative Mike Pence, (R-IN), and something he said on Fox […]

• Martin March 10, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Spot on. The Republicans aren’t known as the stupid party for nothing. They are wasting their mandate.

• John Carey March 10, 2011 at 11:12 PM

I agree. They are wasting a golden opportunity here and I can’t figure out why they’re acting so timid.

• Infidel de Manahatta March 10, 2011 at 3:54 PM

If only more Republicans followed Pence’s lead. Sadly I doubt they will which is why it might be time to let the Republicans go the way of the Whigs.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..Supercontinent Pangaea to Break Up Yoko Ono BlamedMy Profile

• John Carey March 10, 2011 at 11:14 PM

If they don’t get it right this time, they’re done. I see a third party on the rise. I know a number of people do not like that talk.

• Matt March 10, 2011 at 6:38 PM

We need folks to actually lead and be statesmen, not cower, check the polls, and be politicians.

• John Carey March 10, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Good luck finding that anywhere in Washington Matt. Leadership is a rare thing these days.

• Teresa March 10, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Exactly!! This Congress needs to be proactive and stop being on the defensive. They need to force the Dems to do the explaining. The GOP members need to stop acting like a bunch wimps. Pence has the right idea. I hope more follow his lead.
    Teresa recently posted..Garfield on Oil ShortageMy Profile

• John Carey March 10, 2011 at 11:26 PM

They need to be reminded why they are there and who put them there Teresa.

• Jim Gourdie March 10, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Business as usual is not what we voted for last november. It is high time that the GOP went on the offensive. they’ve been playing defense for too long

• John Carey March 10, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I agree Jim. I personally have had enough of the Democrats and their silly games.

• rjjrdq March 11, 2011 at 12:24 AM

The Republicans are not reformed. They’ve just been given a second chance. If we just sit by and leave them to their own devices, the Democrats will regain control next year. It is up to us to dictate their agenda.
    rjjrdq recently posted..US Cedes Control of Military to United NationsMy Profile

• John Carey March 11, 2011 at 6:19 AM

I agree, this is why we must stay engaged and remind them why we hired them.

• […] I was browsing through my morning reading, one of my normal stops was at Sentry Journal, and there I found a post about Representative Mike Pence, (R-IN), and something he said on Fox […]