SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Friday Ramblings: Why does the left target the youth?

Friday Ramblings: Why does the left target the youth?

Well it’s Friday and once again it’s time for my rambling.  This week I was talking to a couple friends about why the left targets younger people.  The easy answer is because young minds are impressionable and inexperienced.  They have not yet had to face the wonders and cruelty of the real world.  But as our conversation moved, we began to explore different possibilities.

Perhaps the reason the left targets younger people, even school age children is because many parents are failing to imprint values that promote God, family, individual liberties, charity, and the importance of our history at an early age before they are exposed to liberal teachers.  There are variety reasons why parents fail to prepare their children; the two main reasons we came up with is time and ignorance.

Most of us live life balancing everything from work to family.  There just doesn’t seem like there’s enough time in the day to accomplish everything we need to do.   We prioritize by the things we must get done and the things we want to get done.  Somewhere on that prioritization scale our children fall.  Think about it, we work all day, grab some dinner, recap the day’s events, help our kids with homework, watch a show or two on TV,  and before you know it’s time for bed only to restart the cycle all over again the next day.  During this time between sunrise and sunset children are in daycare or school and some parents are lucky if they can even find an hour in the day to talk to their children.  They seem perfectly satisfied allowing some stranger or teacher instilling their own ethics and values on their children.  Why not, it’s one less thing they need to worry about.  These are parents who believe that their responsibilities end when they drop their kids off at the daycare center or when their kids get on the bus and start again when they pick them up.

Now before you shoot arrows at me, I want to stress I’m not talking about all parents.  I live in the real world and understand that we have single parents that must work and the above scenario cannot be helped.  Their priority is to provide for their family and not only do I respect that I salute them.  I also understand that we live in a world that places heavy demands on our time and sometimes no matter how hard we try we just fall short.  This is why the family unit is so important and has such a vital function.  Think about it, we’re grooming the future caretakers of our republic.  Parents must find a way to connect and instill sound values so that our children are prepared to think on their feet.  They must do this even if time constraints are a factor.  Surely we can find the time once a week to sit down and talk about God, the importance of family, our history, charity, freedom, liberties, and so on.  The way I see it, if parents can connect with their children at an early age the better off they’ll be for it.  However there are some parents that are simply ignorant of the things that made and amke America great.  This is the second reason why I believe parents fail to imprint the above values.

I’m a product of public education and most of what I learned about the founders and our country was not taught in school.  I learned by reading and reading some more.  The principles of liberty and freedom that my father and mother were taught when they were in school were long gone by the time I graduated.  College did very little to improve this condition so I decided to do the research and read the material for myself.  It took time and effort; but by the time I was done I was in a much better position to promote individual liberty and explain why the founders felt it was essential.  Many parents received the same type of public education I received.  Unless they went to a private school, they learned roughly the same stuff as I did; meaning they learned very little about our history and founders.  So from this perspective they really have no reference point in terms of our history and founders to start from.  They basically don’t know why freedom and liberties are so important and if they don’t know it how can they teach it to their children.  They can’t.  This is a powerful tool and strength for the left; ignorance.

This is why I feel the left targets the youth.  They’re easy prey because many parents have failed to prepare their children for a society overflowing with leftist ideas and propaganda.  By the time they start school their minds are blank pages ready to be written and leftist teachers are more than happy to fill those pages.

Well that’s was my rambling for the week.  Feel free to tell me where I am wrong.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • KingShamus March 12, 2011 at 6:34 AM

There’s a lot of truth in there.

The more I think about, the more convinced I am that my public school upbringing was woefully inadequate. My time in college was even worse. My profs threw a lot of Chomsky, Marx and Keynes at me. I had to search out Julian Simon, Hayek and William Buckley all on my own.

How many others don’t make that next step to look for the opposing views? How many others just accept what their teachers tell them? Probably more than we want to believe, unfortunately.
    KingShamus recently posted..Keith Ellison- Tears Of A ClownMy Profile

• John Carey March 12, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I was telling someone the other day that life was much easier for me five years when I was living in ignorance. All I was concerned about was my job and sports. Once I started reading and doing research I realized how far we have drifted from what our founders envisioned. I had to discard many long held beliefs and it was tough.

• Steve Dennis March 12, 2011 at 7:48 AM

I think you make an excellent point John. There are many children today who are not being taught proper values at home and the schools are able to step in and fill that void. Let’s face it, children actually spend more time during the week with their teachers than they do with their parents and this provides the left with plenty of time to indoctrinate the children–even the children of those parents who are providing the proper moral compass for their children. This is why the left is so dangerous.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Kathleen Sebelius admits the administration is double counting on Obamacare to hide the impact on the federal deficitMy Profile

• John Carey March 12, 2011 at 10:28 AM

I wish parents would wake up and take a harder look at the schools their children attend. Find out what the curriculum is about. Take a look at you child’s text book and homework assignment. It doesn’t take that much effort to engage. Parents tend to be to trusting in the educational system in this country.

• Teresa March 12, 2011 at 11:18 AM

I think you hit the nail on the head, John! But, I think the Left started targeting children a long time ago. Today’s parents were targeted as children by liberals in order to start their vision to weaken America and since they probably had the same type of public education as you did they probably were victim to a dumbed-down education purposefully. This all goes to targeting the heart of America. Today, the kids are even more vulnerable because their parents didn’t have a good foundation to work from, since it is a high probability that there parents were not taught about the founding of this country and why God, family, individual liberties, and charity are important. Without knowledge of past history, history will repeat itself and the mistakes of the past will happen again.
    Teresa recently posted..Refusal to Compromise on Fiscal Responsibility is Dangerous and UnchristianMy Profile

• John Carey March 12, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Thanks for the comments Teresa. I agree with you that many of the parents today are a product of leftist’s effort to dumb down America. This started in the 70s and continues on to this day. Last year when I guest speaker at my wife’s school, I talked about the Declaration of Independence you could see in the eyes of the children they had no clue. Yet they did have a ton of questions. The parents today have been deprived of the education our grandparents received and have no real foundation to build off of. This is why there must be a desire from them to educate themselves on these matters like many of us did to learn the truth and be better equipped to teach their children.

• Matt March 12, 2011 at 9:12 PM

John, you’ve struck on one of my favorite topics. This is an effort to dumb down America, and it has been a success. The indoctrination occurs because it works. The idea is to defeat or ignore American ideals, and replace them with Marxist/Fascist/Progressives ones. It is also intended to destroy morality and replace it with relativism. The idea there is to create chaos and discord-breaking down the cultural institutions that hold the nation together. The end goal is to cause crisis, and then transformation of the fundamental sort.

• John Carey March 12, 2011 at 10:12 PM

They’re well on there way my friend. I’m not sure that parents are even equipped to prepare their children for the sea of socialistic crap they’re going to be exposed to.
      John Carey recently posted..Changing the ToneMy Profile

• […] ""; google_color_text = ""; google_color_url = ""; google_ui_features = "rc:6"; I DON’T BUY ITFriday Ramblings: Why does the left target the youth?Changing the ToneUSAWatchmen Back In Full ForceKrauthammer vs. Totenberg on NPR FundingAttention, […]

• theCL March 14, 2011 at 2:37 PM

I agree with you, totally, about parents getting more involved and making sure their kids learn things th public schools won’t teach. I also agree with Matt that public schools have been turned into indoctrination camps. That said, my question is:

Why doesn’t the political “right” target youth?

I read a lot of mainstream (not we smaller bloggers) conservative opinion and not just the words freedom and liberty, but the very concept of freedom and liberty, are all but gone from the conservative lexicon. Replaced with words like “leadership” and “authority.”

There isn’t a single politician with a bigger grassroots following than Ron Paul. Everything he does, and all the money he’s raised, has been done without any institutional backing. One could only imagine how popular he’d be with the institutional backing Mitt Romney enjoys. Anyways …

He’s huge with the youth! Yet, after winning the CPAC straw poll 2 years in a row, mainstream conservative institutions condemned ‘them stupid college kids” instead of learning what it is about his message that resonates so strongly with the young. So, the young get turned off by the conventional “right.”

What about his message draws so many of America’s youth? Simple. He talks about freedom and liberty. And means it! No “buts.”
    theCL recently posted..Best Read 03-06 – 03-12-2011My Profile