SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Friday Ramblings: Even a pawn can checkmate a king

Friday Ramblings: Even a pawn can checkmate a king

A few weeks ago an individual I know made the comment, “Even a pawn can checkmate a king.”  Well for some reason those words stuck with me and I decided to delve into it a little deeper.  We hear the word pawn used in a negative connotation all the time.  We’ve heard it used to describe union members as they are often referred to as pawns for the left do their bidding.  We’ve seen children used as pawns during custody battles.  However we rarely ever hear the term used as a position of strength.   That’s exactly how this individual used the term when he made this comment.  I was curious about this so I decided to consult a friend who is very skilled in the game of chess and asked him about the comment.  He told me that pawns are the most numerous and weakest pieces on a chessboard.  Chess players traditionally use these pieces to create confusion and force their opponents to reposition and expose their more powerful pieces on the board.  Because they are so numerous and they really aren’t that powerful they tend to be maneuvered into positions on the chessboard that put them in jeopardy.  They are sacrificed to advance the overall strategy.  Now in rare cases a pawn can indeed checkmate a king if it has the right support.  And this is the main point of my post.

At some point in our lives we have all felt like pawns; large in numbers but weak in power.  We have felt we were nothing but pieces on the chessboard of life to be sacrificed for the grand scheme of things.  We seek to restore the republic and yet the task before us seems insurmountable.  We feel like we are trying to fix a system that is simply too corrupt and too big to rein in.  Some have decided to pack it in, while others have chosen to step away.  Many have expressed their frustration openly.  The game is fixed so what’s the point.

Remember the words, “a pawn can checkmate a king with the right support.”  This is about the little guy or gal overcoming Goliath.  And that’s what we are facing; a monster of a system that is crushing our liberties.  So the way I see it the only way we will succeed in this great endeavor the restore the constitution and the republic is to support each other and to remember we do have strength in numbers.  No matter how frustrated we become with the political parties, the corrupt system, the trolls, and the MSM as long as we continue to stand together and support each other then we will eventually checkmate the king.  We do this by staying on point and focus on the issues that really matter in America.  The main issues that directly impact individual Americans are Washington’s out of control spending and the economy.  We must remember that if these two issues are allowed to further spiral out of control it just might unravel the very fabric of our nation and people.  We all knew this was not going to be a sprint.  It’s going to take a number of years to reverse the current trend.  During this time there will be battles; some we will lose but we must see it through.  We must stand together and write about the issues that really matter to Americans.  We must continue to point out when politicians are making bad decisions that have the potential to steer us off a cliff.

You see our strength isn’t derived from our position in society, or the pedigree of the university some of us may have attended.  Our strength comes from basic facts and simple truths and we have both on our side.  I’m confident that as long as we continue to present the facts and the truth on a consistence basis we will indeed prevail.  We will become the pawns that checkmate the king.  And when that day happens the world will be turned upside down.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • World Spinner March 25, 2011 at 12:56 AM

Friday Ramblings: Even a pawn can checkmate a king | SENTRY JOURNAL…

Here at World Spinner we are debating the same thing……

• fleeceme March 25, 2011 at 1:07 AM

Good stuff my friend. As one of the people who have “stepped away” for a bit, I concur with your assessment. If we give up now, when the going isn’t even so rough, what happens when the crap really starts to fly?

One pawn alone can not checkmate a king, but a few pawns working together can most assuredly. =)
    fleeceme recently posted..My apology and explanationMy Profile

• LD Jackson March 25, 2011 at 5:22 AM

I just put this post on Twitter and Facebook with this comment.

The little guys, that’s you and me, can make a difference. It’s time to remember that and act on that fact.

Good post, John.
    LD Jackson recently posted..Why I Don’t Care About CAIRMy Profile

• Steve Dennis March 25, 2011 at 5:48 AM

Great post John! I love that chess analogy. If we stay focused and grow our numbers with the right message we can take down the king.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..The United Nations has authorized military strikes on Libya- but has the United States CongressMy Profile

• John Carey March 25, 2011 at 6:18 AM

It doesn’t sound like a ground breaking idea does it. The last few words of the Declaration pretty much sums this entire post up: “And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor.”
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings- Even a pawn can checkmate a kingMy Profile

• KingShamus March 25, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Nice observation, my friend.

Your optimism is reassuring, my friend.
    KingShamus recently posted..Your Obama Politically Correct Euphemism of the DayMy Profile

• Country Thinker March 25, 2011 at 12:09 PM

John, great stuff. I think my wife is finally starting to “get it,” and she has become much more supprotive of my boots-on-the-ground activism, such as going down to Columbus on short notice for rallies.

For what it’s worth, my upcoming novel is properly viewed as a work of political activism. I’m afraid that far too few people see the danger of what’s coming, as well as find it emotionally difficult to accept their “pawn status” (we’re all really important, right?). If even a few people change their worldview as a result of the book, the year-plus I’ve poured into it will be worth it.

• Infidel de Manahatta March 25, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Good post. Unfortunately the game is fixed. We have to play a new game and leave the palace guards all alone wondering why no one will play with them anymore.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..Elizabeth Taylor- Knut the Polar Bear in Love Suicide PactMy Profile

• John Carey March 25, 2011 at 8:09 PM

The game is indeed fixed; however we can’t allow it to beat us. We need to stay on point and drive it home each time we have an opportunity. I believe truth will prevail. The other option is just way too frightening.

• Jim at Conservatives On Fire March 25, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Outstanding! A pawn with the right support can checkmate a king. That is another way of saying “united we stand, devided we fall”.
    Jim at Conservatives On Fire recently posted..Stop Climate Change! You’re Are Putting Me At Risk!My Profile

• Matt March 25, 2011 at 10:14 PM

Excellent work John. We should not lose site of watching out for one another, and being in the position to help the pawn checkmate the king. It seems futile at times, but if we keep on going, we’ll get there-one baby step at a time.
    Matt recently posted..Patrick Henry’s Finest Hour- Give me Liberty or give me deathMy Profile

• […] Friday Ramblings: Even a pawn can checkmate a king […]

• Teresa March 27, 2011 at 3:51 PM

To be honest there have been many times in my life that I have felt like a pawn on a chessboard. Maybe part of the reason I feel this way because of the fact that I haven’t finished my bachelor’s degree due to certain circumstances. But, then again, I know I have learned more about history, philosophy, and theology then I would have reading out of some textbook. Sorry for my rambling John. I think it is important that as pawns we help each other and support one another in both the good times and the bad times. I think if we pawns stick together we can overcome the powerful King.
    Teresa recently posted..Libya Vs Iraq ExplainedMy Profile

• John Carey March 29, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Teresa many of our founders were self educated. I have my undergraduate degree and trust me when I tell you it’s overrated. For the amount of money you spend to pay to sit in a classroom filled with liberal thought, well it’s simply not worth it. If you want to make it a personal goal, then I say keep plugging away at it a piece at a time, but always remember to stay true to yourself. We will prevail in the end because I believe when presented in an understandable manner the people will ultimately choose liberty of security all the time. We just need to become better with our message.

• Woodsterman (Odie) March 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM

We are a land of individual rights and thoughts that are guaranteed. The king, we pawns oppose, does not like this, but we do outnumber him on the chess board.
    Woodsterman (Odie) recently posted..NewsBusted 3-29-11 NewsBustersorgMy Profile

• Maggie@MaggiesNotebook March 29, 2011 at 6:13 PM

Nice reminder and lesson for all of us. We can act like pawns and sucker-in the Progressives. Checkmate. They won’t know what hit them if we stay energized, as you so rightly point out John.
    Maggie@MaggiesNotebook recently posted..Iran Behind Attacks on Israel on Way to Takedown USMy Profile

• Trestin Meacham April 1, 2011 at 8:26 AM

I think our opponents are playing checkers. But yes, a good thing to remember.
    Trestin Meacham recently posted..A NEW PATHMy Profile