SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » The Sunshine Patriot: When it becomes personal

The Sunshine Patriot: When it becomes personal

How many of you know conservatives or people who claim they want to do the necessary things to save the republic.  They spout off about reining in the government and cutting spending.   They demand entitlement reform and a government that functions within the scope of its constitutional parameters.  They slam politicians who tax and spend and wave Gadsden Flags to show their patriotic spirit.  Yes that’s right they talk the talk that is until it becomes personal or in some way impacts them.  These are the modern day “sunshine patriots” that Thomas Paine spoke of back during that difficult winter of 1776.

“These are times that try men’s souls; the summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.”

These are the people who want our problems solved but are unwilling to step up if it directly impacts them.  They want entitlement reform as long as it doesn’t affect them.  They want to cut the deficit as long as it doesn’t take from them.  And finally they want the constitution enforced as long as it’s clean with low impact.  In our current crisis, they do indeed shrink from the service of their country.  They are cowards of the worst sort.  I know plenty of people just like this and the recent government shutdown threat this past weekend flushed many of them out.

These people have become addicted to the government cheese and don’t even realize how dependent they are on the federal government.  They are farmers, corporations, veterans, government employees, welfare recipients, neighbors, friends, and family members.  They rely on a functioning government to continue to feed an addiction they have yet to acknowledge.  Many of these folks claim to want to fix the things that are wrong with government, and yet are the first to compromise their principles when it directly affects them.  They live in an illusion, convincing themselves that they are part of the solution never realizing that they too are part of the problem.  They want reform to be painless and non-intrusive.  They are more afraid of losing what they have today than the current spending path that leads to a bankrupt nation and future.  It’s easier just to kick the can down the road than deal with the now.  If it means compromising with socialists who call themselves Democrats they will do so.

This is the reality we face as conservatives; a reality where many so called conservatives are addicted to the government cheese in some shape or form.  These “sunshine patriots” do not have the same convictions as our founders who pledged their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor to break the chains that bound them to an overbearing intrusive government that their lives were shackled to.  When presented with the choice to save the republic or save themselves, they choose the latter and demand that we find common ground with a authoritarian entity that desires us to trade our liberty for security.  Trading our liberty for security is not the path to prosperity and freedom; but instead a road towards serfdom and slavery.  And the inescapable truth is these “sunshine patriots” do more to hurt our cause than advance it.  They’re phony and it’s time we start seeing it for what it is.

Remember the final words of quote from Thomas Paine, “but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.”  It’s time to stand up for our constitution and our republic and not shrink from the service of our country.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • RandyG April 11, 2011 at 5:15 AM

Good to see you back John. There is no such thing as a fair weather conservative I hope.
    RandyG recently posted..Coolest March Since 1994My Profile

• John Carey April 11, 2011 at 6:15 AM

Thanks for the comment Randy. I can tell you that I know a few fair weather conservatives. They claim to be grounded in conservative principles until their principles collide with the truth of what we face.
      John Carey recently posted..The Sunshine Patriot- When it becomes personalMy Profile

• Steve Dennis April 11, 2011 at 5:52 AM

I think you have brought up a great point John. I think that we have become so used to the “benefits” the government hands out that many of us do not even realize how indebted the states have become to the federal government. And of course when the states are indebted to the federal government it means the people are as well.
    This is unsustainable and it must be brought to an end, and it is going to be tough to change the minds of people because they have gotten used to the “entitlements” they now enjoy.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..This day in history- General Lee surrenders at Appomattox in 1865My Profile

• John Carey April 11, 2011 at 6:21 AM

That’s how dependency works Steve. It’s addicts people to programs that offer only enough to wet their whistle but not enough to quench their thirst. And when we try to show a different way they push us away because they don’t want to lose what they have. They would rather remain thirsty their entire life and live with the scraps they get from the government. So in the end they will compromise their principles to maintain this state of being. It is truly sad.

• Trestin Meacham April 11, 2011 at 6:06 AM

Good post! I know of several people who complain about Washington, but are not shy about taking a handout. I for one was ready for a shutdown. While I hated to see those around me suffer because of the pay freeze, I knew it was necessary.
    Trestin Meacham recently posted..WORTHY THOUGHTSMy Profile

• theCL April 11, 2011 at 10:03 AM

This is a topic I talk and write about frequently. While I’ve written about it directly as you have here, I also bring it up indirectly in posts about other stuff. It’s also why I constantly preach the message of the Old Right.

The left is one thing, but today’s conservative is a lot more comfortable with Big Government, often demanding it in certain spheres. The Old Right didn’t hesitate to declare themselves anti-state, attacked the Republican Establishment with the same contempt they had for Democrats, primaries were bitter battles (n “11th commandment”), and demanded the government do nothing more than play its role as night watchman.

My grandfathers conservatism is today’s radical libertarianism. In other words, the American electorate has moved to the left.

We desperately need to get that old anti-state spark back.

Good to see you back!!!
    theCL recently posted..Emmanuelle Chriqui asks Why Forgive Government FailureMy Profile

• John Carey April 11, 2011 at 10:07 PM

Thanks for the comments CL. I agree that yesterday’s conservative is today’s radical. We have shifted so far to the left that even talking about the founders, constitution and limited government is viewed as a radical concept. It wasn’t like this 50 years ago.
      John Carey recently posted..Case of the MundaysMy Profile

• Nick Lara April 17, 2011 at 8:25 PM

John you say the country has shifted so far Left, and I tend to agree. Now my question is why is that? Is it because the country started off so far to the right? The government is ultimately governed by the people, so have America’s views naturally shifted to the Left? Imagine a debate about gay marriage 50 years ago, there would not be a real chance of it going anywhere. Now there is a very obvious acceptance of the practice. I just think that America as a whole is shifting more leftward and it is reflected in our government.

• Jim at Conservatives On Fire April 11, 2011 at 10:55 AM

John, great to see you back. I may not agree with you on the merits of shutting down the government but I definitely agree with on the sunshine patriots. I wish these people could stop thinking about themselves and think a little more about what is best for their children and grandchildren. Excellent post.
    Jim at Conservatives On Fire recently posted..Not Every Battle Is Worth Fighting To The Last Man StandingMy Profile

• John Carey April 11, 2011 at 10:15 PM

I’m glad to be back Jim. It has been a very trying few weeks. The problem with these people are they are afraid of losing what they have and because of this they are blinded by it.
      John Carey recently posted..Case of the MundaysMy Profile

• Country Thinker April 11, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Excellent point, and the left uses it effectively against Republicans. “Cuts for thee but not for me” makes a person a hypocrite.

What sacrifices would I be willing to make? Lots of them. Start by closing the Dep’t of Education. My son doesn’t need their mandates, and he may end up homeschooled anyhow. Keep all of the social security withholdings I’ve made, and let me drop out of the system – I will ask for no benefits if I can be relieved of any further contributions.

In fact, cut the federal government down to the military, and a handful of small agencies to implement laws passed with proper constitutional authority under Article I. I’m willing to “sacrifice” everything else.

• John Carey April 11, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Thanks Ted. I agree with you on the Dept of Ed. I would add the Dept of Energy and reform the entire tax code. One flat tax across the board. Everyone pays it no matter what the income and get rid of all the deductions. No more paying for a stranger’s child with my tax dollars.
      John Carey recently posted..Case of the MundaysMy Profile

• theCL April 12, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I was in the 3rd grade when the Dept of Ed was created. What? I went to school and learned reading, writing and arithmetic without a giant government bureaucracy? How can that possibly be?

On the “flat tax” … How about no income tax? Taxing someone’s income is immoral. If the government needs an income tax it’s spending too much.
        theCL recently posted..California Seizing Safe Deposit Boxes to Balance BudgetMy Profile

• Infidel de Manahatta April 11, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Good post. It’s always difficult to reign in spending because so many are dependent on it now and DO NOT EVEN KNOW IT OR ACKNOWLEDGE IT.

What our country needs is an intervention.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..The New Crack- 100 Watt Light BulbsMy Profile

• Teresa April 11, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Great Post, John! I was also ready for a shutdown. A shutdown was needed to show the Democrats that we meant business, not business as usual. Unfortunately, we found out that the GOP are spineless jellyfish.
    Teresa recently posted..The Rubber Backbone Award Goes To My Profile

• fleeceme April 11, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Besides a military to protect me, I will rely on Virginia for everything else…if they don’t fill the bill, there is always my birth-state, Texas. =)

Of course, I am totally kidding. I can not wait to get my Social security check in the next 30 years, I am gonna be freaking rich!
    fleeceme recently posted..Fleece’s Faves – Spectre editionMy Profile

• John Carey April 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I know what you mean Colin. I can’t wait to get my $800 a month when I turn 68 or 72 by then. And to think I could have kept the money the government confiscates from me for social security and invested in a safe slow growth fund starting at the age of 18 and retired at 55 with a monthly income of $3,000. I choose the government cheese…that’s how nuts it sounds.
      John Carey recently posted..Case of the MundaysMy Profile

• Matt April 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM

Well said John. That’s been a theme for me as well. I would add that the statists WANT people dependent on government. It is a powerful control mechanism that they exploit any time they want.
    Matt recently posted..HuffPo Writer Wonders Why Tea Party is Winning- Spews Leftist Narrative to Explain itMy Profile

• John Carey April 11, 2011 at 10:30 PM

It’s very powerful Matt. That why they want us to be dependent on them. When we rely on their hand outs they’re pulling all the strings. When we are independent we’re pulling the strings. They can not have the latter.
      John Carey recently posted..Case of the MundaysMy Profile

• […] and not shrink from the service of our country.Liberty forever, freedom for all!Original Post: The Sentry Journal Join John at The Sentry Journal . var a2a_config = a2a_config || {}; a2a_config.linkname="The […]