SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Republicans approval numbers fall: Gee I wonder why?

Republicans approval numbers fall: Gee I wonder why?

Just a few weeks ago prior to the 11th hour government shutdown debacle the Republicans enjoyed an approval rating of 41%; a full 10 point margin over their Democratic colleagues in congress.  Oh how the mighty have fallen.  A Zogby poll conducted on 18 April shows some very different numbers.  The GOP has dropped 10 points to a 31% approval rating and is only one percentage point above the Democrats in congress.  So how could this have happened?  The Republicans had the wind at their backs with the backing of 41% just prior to that 11th hour deal.  Well the answer is simple in my opinion; they allowed themselves to get rolled by a party that has somehow wrestled the initiative away from them.  A Democratic Party that has managed to sell the idea that cutting spending is more radical and extreme than bankrupting our nation.  The same Democratic Party and President who is responsible for over a trillion dollars in deficit spending and then turns around and tells us the Republicans want to kill women and starve senior citizens.  Americans aren’t buying the Democratic talking points and yet the Republicans continue run away from their responsibilities.  They continue to hide from the fight that needs to be fought.  I get it.  With the exception of the far left of the Democratic Party, which is now most of the Democratic Party, most Americans get it.  We know that you don’t spend more than you take in because it leads to bankruptcy.  So it shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone who understands basic finances why the Republicans have slipped so far down in the polls.  We elected them to get our nation’s financial house in order and they have continuously punted.

Now I know many say that we only control 1/3 of the government and how much can we really expect from the Republicans.  I agree with them to a point; however we do have the power to broker better deals than the one Speaker Boehner brokered a few weeks ago.  We do have the power to make life extremely difficult for the radical left.  I’m of the belief that if Harry Reid is for it, how good can it be for us?  Harry Reid is a big government, big spending, Democrat and if he thinks it’s a good idea we should all be leery.  Speaker Boehner’s negotiating skills remind me of the movie Tommy Boy.  The below scene from the movie illustrates my point

It’s funny on the big screen.  It’s not so funny when it relates to the financial health of our nation and future for our children.  We elected these people to stop the madness or at least slow it way down.  The Republicans made the mistake of not conveying the message to the American people that this out of control spending is the radical and extreme position.  Saddling our children with massive crushing debt is radical and heartless.  Bankrupting social security, Medicare, and Medicaid if we don’t reform these programs is an extreme position to take.  Why didn’t these masters of political spin use these talking points against the Democrats?  I’ll tell you why, because they are more concerned about alienating the few than standing on principle.  And this is why the electorate is upset with the Republicans.  They won’t fight for fiscal sanity in Washington.  They won’t fight for their principles.  They won’t stand up and fight for what is right.  The only thing they seem to be fighting for is themselves and this is not serving those who elected them to stop the out of control spending in Washington.  Make no mistake the American people can smell this crap coming from D.C. and if the Republicans hope to make gains and get the people behind them again they had better get their act together for the debt ceiling debate.  If they don’t, expect their numbers to drop even more and in this could spell trouble for us in 2012.

H/T Newsmax

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments
  • Fuzzy April 20, 2011 at 2:10 AM

This doesn’t spell trouble for US in 2012, it spells trouble for big government GOP. We’ve had one–one–election in which we sent a truly historic number of real fiscal conservatives to Washington. But that’s not enough, it was never going to be enough. We will need to continue to replace both dems and reps who refuse to address the fiscal issues that threaten every aspect of America. That means in 2012. In 2014. In 2016. In 2020. And beyond, if necessary.

That is the ONLY way to affect the real changes that need to take place. It does matter that there are only a portion of fiscal cons in one half of one third of government. Of course it matters. That’s how our government was intentionally designed by the founders.

Anyone who expected this terrible situation to be resolved in one election (and the . . . what, 3 months since the frosh class started?) is living in dreamland. This will take a long and sustained effort to correct, just as it took long and sustained effort to get us here.
    Fuzzy recently posted..Responding to the Escalating Bad Behavior of Unhinged LeftistsMy Profile

• John Carey April 20, 2011 at 6:24 AM

I agree it will take a long sustained effort to turn things around. All I’m saying is that many people are very disappointed in the Republicans because it appears that the once that are in D.C. right now are not fight to good fight. In fact it looks like to many that they are getting rolled and that is not the outcome many expected. Look I know we’re not going to get everything we want, I’m not that naive to believe we will with the current make up in Washington. What I do want is them to stand on principle and fight the good fight and make it difficult for the Democrats. If they don’t fight then what was the purpose of the 2010 elections. I don’t believe that’s asking too much and I certainly don’t believe I’m living in a dreamland to desire this.
      John Carey recently posted..Republicans approval numbers fall- Gee I wonder whyMy Profile

• Fuzzy April 20, 2011 at 5:09 PM

They are fighting, John. The point of the election in 2010 was to send people to DC who were fiscal conservatives, and we sent some. There are, what?, 435 total in the House and 100 total in the Senate. There are 59 House Tea Party Caucus members and 4 Senate Tea Party Caucus (this isn’t the only measure of fiscal responsibility, but it’s a handy frame of reference). The numbers aren’t there for a meaningful, we get the spoils of it, “fight.”

The point of the 2010 election was to start the process of taking of country back in DC (we still have to do that in our local and state elections, our courts, classrooms, families, neighborhoods, etc.). It was never going to be enough.

My fear is that the people who are complaining that not enough is being done will do exactly what the GOP expects–back off, back down, let it go. If we’re going to win this and save our republic, we have to take over the entire GOP, change its culture and politics and agenda. Make it be conservative again. So big GOP gains are good, but that’s not the goal. We have to remove all establishment GOP, all progressive GOP, all GOP who are more interested in their careers and the political game than they are in the country. The pressure we put on and keep on the GOP is key. Some will see the light and start working for the right things, but most will not. And they all have to be voted out and replaced. This will take years. A decade or more.

The single biggest mistake the progs made was to do what we’re doing now: assume that a Democrat majority and WH meant that everyone was on the same page, they weren’t. They didn’t replace enough members of Congress with lunatic socialists and communists, so they lost and are continuing to lose. We can too easily go down that same path if we mistake GOP gains with real fiscal conservative gains. If we don’t continue working to put fiscal conservatives in DC for many more election cycles. Flushing out, in each election, as many RINOs, progs, and self-serving politicians as possible. Again, this takes time.

I want us to be angry and to keep holding their feet to the fire, not doing that is almost as self-defeating as giving up. But we also have to be realistic. That’s all I’m saying.

• John Carey April 20, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I agree that it will take time to take the party back and push out the establishment Republicans. I’m with you on the state and local elections. I have always pushed hard for people to take an interest in their local elections. All I’m saying is the Republicans even the fiscal conservatives can make life a great deal more difficult for the progressives in both parties as long as they stick together and fight. Maybe the new Republicans are putting too much trust in the establishment, but the talk in the trenches and the poll numbers are matching up. People are indeed frustrated with the GOP to include Mark Levin, Sean Hannity, and Rush and these folks have the conservative ear. I know it will take time, bit time is not on our side and we need courageous and bold action if we’re going to begin to turn this thing around and so far I’m not seeing this from the Republicans. And as I said, the polls numbers reflect this…if you believe the polls that is. I can tell you the talk I’m hearing in the trenches is what is being reflected in the polls. Like it or not the perception is the Republicans are not fighting the good fight. Perceptions are a powerful thing. Thank you for the comments and thought provoking banter.

• Fuzzy April 20, 2011 at 7:27 PM

It doesn’t matter to me who is saying that. The reality is that there isn’t anything that the still relatively low number of real fiscal conservatives can do. Not only are there not enough of them, but they are all freshmen (i.e. they hold no power). They’re doing what they can, but it is up to us to send more reinforcements. (this isn’t “banter,” btw 😉 )

• RightHandMan
            RightHandMan April 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM

I think the two of you are like Britain and America; two countries seperated by a common language.

John isn’t saying that the Freshman aren’t fighting. He’s not saying that the GOP should be dominating government. He’s also not saying that we should have walked away with major victories. What he’s saying is that the establishment republicans have failed to stand with them. I think you’re both on the same page there. Further, he’s saying that the establishment’s weakness has caused the high hopes (reflected by the numbers) to diminish.

I think you both agree but are missing on semantics.

• John Carey April 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I agree we do need to send more reinforcements. I also realize that the progressive ideology has infected both parties.

• Country Thinker April 20, 2011 at 11:04 AM

For what it’s worth, I agree with some of your points but what I’m not seeing is any spine in the dialogue. Although I’m not a Sarah Palin fan, I heard some of her speech in Madison the other day, and man was it inspiring! The Dems have folks like anthony Weiner who get all fired up, and though I call him the Cown Prince of Congress, I don’t know how many times Dem Facebook friends of mine have posted clips because he gets them so energized. I’m not saying that the GOP needs a clown, but they do need to speak with conviction, and I’m not seeing it.

An avowed independent I know said he doesn’t get the feeling the GOP’s heart is in it, other than Michele Bachmann and a few others. That’s not good when Indy voters are starting to conclude that the GOP doesn’t believe in its own message.

• innominatus April 20, 2011 at 11:43 AM

That’s the ONLY thing that goof-wad Trump has going for him, and suddenly he’s getting great polling numbers. If Romney or Pawlenty or X or Y or Z would quit being polite little wallflowers, they’d be at the top. But so far they’re all the same “can’t well all just get along” types.
        innominatus recently posted..Yay Portland My Profile

• John Carey April 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM

I 100 percent agree. It’s time to call out this administration and the Dems for the out of control spending that has us standing on the edge of financial cliff. No more playing nice, time to get to it and call it like it is. Trump is doing so well because he has taken the gloves off and is on the offensive. The rest of the field would be wise to take notice of this.

• John Carey April 20, 2011 at 7:43 PM

You nailed it Ted. Where is the fire in the speeches. Where are the counter punches when Dems call Republicans radical for wanting to cut less than 1 percent from the budget. There just doesn’t seem to be much fight in the GOP as a whole. The Dems flawed ideology and policies were soundly rejected in Nov and what do the Republicans do with it…zip. Status quo. Thanks for the comments.

• LD Jackson April 20, 2011 at 4:49 AM

I am one of the ones who have been reminding folks that the GOP only controls 1/3 of the government. I think that is important to remember. However, I am reminded of something Rush Limbaugh talks about a lot, which is the fact that the GOP seems to be very reluctant to fight the Democrats on some of these issues. As much as I dislike how Rush carries on, he has a point. The leadership of the Republican Party allows the debate over any particular issue to be framed by the Democrats and the media and the fight never seems to get off the ground. They need to learn to stick to their guns and take the fight to the Democrats, instead of waiting around to let the Democrats walk all over them, even though their arguments are all false.

Good post, John.
    LD Jackson recently posted..Why the Tea Party Needs the Libertarian Party- Part 2My Profile

• John Carey April 20, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Thanks Larry. I’m with on they only have limited power and can only do so much with the numbers they have. I get that. What I and apparently many others want is for them to stand by their principles and fight the good fight to get our financial house in order. So far they have failed to do this. In fact they have made life easy for the party that was soundly defeated this past November. Why let them off the hook so easy?

• Steve Dennis April 20, 2011 at 5:29 AM

It has been disappointing to say the least and I think that these poll numbers indicate that we are far from alone on this. When are the Republicans going to realize that we sent them there to make the tough decisions that nobody else will and do what we want them to? They are most likely going to look at these poll numbers and misread them; instead of linking the drop in the polls to straying from the conservatives who got them elected, they will decide this means they must cause fewer waves and as a result the Democrats will once again win the war on message. It is so frustrating.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Battlefield diaryMy Profile

• John Carey April 20, 2011 at 6:34 AM

I’m with you on this Steve. These numbers are very telling. If they fight I believe the people will stand behind them because they know we cannot continue to spend more than we take in. The only place this leads to is bankruptcy. That is not an option.

• RandyG April 20, 2011 at 7:48 AM

The beltway boys better pay attention fast, the regular folks are P O !
    RandyG recently posted..Midweek Rule 5 BreakMy Profile

• Bunkerville April 20, 2011 at 8:58 AM

There is no one out on the stump correcting Obama’s lies about Ryan’s plan. Obama is scaring people, and we are not responding. If you tell a lie often enough people will believe it. Alinksky 101. Trump is sucking up the air with the birther bit… move on, please, move on and save our country.
    Bunkerville recently posted..Paul Ryans admiration for Ayn Rand make him pro-terroristMy Profile

• Infidel de Manahatta April 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM

I think the Republican party is going to go the way of the Whig party. Republicans today are too concerned that if they stand up for their ideals they won’t be invited to the next hip Democratic cocktail party and they might miss out on the chance to meet Ben Affleck or George Clooney or Bono.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..Congress Repeals Article 1 Section 9 Clause 8 of ConstitutionMy Profile

• Jim at Conservatives On Fire April 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM

The Republican establishment , just like the Democrats, wnat to maintain big governemnt. Our Tea Party congressmen need to undestand what the liberals understand. The liberals are using campaign rhetoric and our guys need to do the same.
    Jim at Conservatives On Fire recently posted..Obama’s Plan for Automatic Tax IncreasesMy Profile

• Teresa April 20, 2011 at 6:48 PM

The Republicans are cowards. They should have fought harder on the budget on principle. If they can’t stand up on principle what can they stand for? But, with the GOP only controlling the House there are some major limits to what they can do. They need to start being fighters for the people, like they were during the health care debate. The GOP better stop being afraid of alienating some voters if they stand up and fight against the Dems because if they continue on the path there on now the GOP is going to risk alienating even more voters with their appeasement mentality or play nice mentality.
    Teresa recently posted..McDonalds Parking Lot RageMy Profile

• John Carey April 20, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Appeasement will only work for so long Teresa. Sometimes you just need to stand your ground. People might not always agree with the Republicans, but they will respect them for standing by their principles.

• Matt April 20, 2011 at 10:58 PM

I think a lot of people are getting nervous because of the inflation, and the perception that we are getting closer and closer to economic collapse. Some are afraid that we are out of time. Maybe we are, and maybe we aren’t, but we do need to keep applying pressure. The newer Conservatives need our support, and the establishment types need our boot.
    Matt recently posted..Conservative Group Announces Enough Signatures for Recall of a Fleabagger- Office Burglarized- Ballots StolenMy Profile

• John Carey April 20, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Well said Matt. They cannot hide the truth anymore, inflation is hitting us hard and we feel it. This is why Obama’s approval numbers are starting to tank. Because in the end, “it’s the economy stupid.” He’s in a panic right now. You can hear it in his rhetoric as he continues to point the finger of blame at everyone but himself. He’s becoming desperate.