SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » It’s time to change the conversation and dump the birth certificate debate

It’s time to change the conversation and dump the birth certificate debate

There are people who think Obama is not eligible to be President because they believe he was born in another country and the constitution clearly states that in order to be President you must be a natural born citizen.  Some believe he was born in Kenya while others feel he was born in Indonesia.  They also believe President Obama is hiding something because he won’t show the long form of his birth certificate and this has only fueled the conspiracy.  They call these people “birthers.”  To show you just how popular this topic has become you need only to google “Obama birth certificate”; you will find over 6.3 million results.  This is simply astounding and sad at the same time.  It’s time to put the matter to bed and dump the birth certificate debate.

The reason I say this is because it’s a conspiracy theory and conspiracy theories are what they are; fringe theories based on some sort plot that can’t be proven.  It’s a complete waste of our time and shifts the national conversation from facts to fantasy.  It’s the topic that the left wants to focus on because it paints the right as a bunch of conspiratorial tin foil hat wearing wackos.  This is why the MSM is grilling Donald Trump so hard on the issue. They want the nation talking about Obama’s birth certificate and not the real issues.  The left wants us to stay in fantasy land because reality paints a very dark picture about their failed policies.  The left doesn’t want us talking about the economy, ObamaCare, out of control spending, a trillion dollar deficit, debt ceilings, bankrupt entitlement programs, and unemployment.  If we’re talking about these topics then the electorate will see just how destructive the left’s policies have been and this is a reality the Democrats don’t want to deal with.  The right doesn’t need the birth certificate debate to defeat Obama, they have his dismal record.  So in my opinion it’s time for Donald Trump to shelve it and move on.  If he wants to point out the failures of Obama’s economic policies and the impact it has had on small businesses and the economy then fire away Mr. Trump.  If he wants to talk about Obama’s spending and the growth of the national debt under his watch then drive it home.  Obama’s record will do far more damage to his chances of getting reelected than some fringe theory that can’t be proven.  So it’s time to move on and dump this toxic issue.  We need to stay on target and address the real issues that are destroying America and our economy.  We need to stop giving the left the ammunition to keep us off topic.  And every time Donald Trump or some person at a townhall meeting brings up the birth certificate debate it distracts the people from the issues that really matter.

I say we change the national conversation and the first step is by dumping the birth certificate debate and focus on his record.  Think about this, this administration will run up more debt in its first term than in the entire history of this country.  This is Obama’s record and it is this record that will be his undoing not whether or not he has a birth certificate.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • Fuzzy April 21, 2011 at 4:27 AM

Hear, hear! This is exactly what we need to do, and fast.
    Fuzzy recently posted..Responding to the Escalating Bad Behavior of Unhinged LeftistsMy Profile

• LD Jackson April 21, 2011 at 4:59 AM

Amen, John. As Mike Huckabee has often said, there are plenty of real reasons to be working against the President. It is far past the time to move past the birth certificate issue and focus on his record and job performance since he moved into the White House.
    LD Jackson recently posted..President Obama’s Debt Failsafe Includes Raising TaxesMy Profile

• Steve Dennis April 21, 2011 at 5:23 AM

I do believe there is a good chance that Obama is hiding something, but I have always held the belief that we still needed to focus on his policies instead of getting distracted in a dead end issue such as the birth certificate. I also believe there is the chance the only reason he hasn’t released it is so that people would still focus on it and not what he is doing. Either way, you are right and we must focus on the issues. But I do think that Trump could play an interesting role here because he can say things that politicians cannot. Of course, if he runs third party it will send Obama to the White House again so maybe we are better off if he goes away right now.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Battlefield diaryMy Profile

• John Carey April 21, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Trump is getting away with it because Obama and the MSM want this to be the topic of the day, It works in their favor when we’re talking about this crap and not deficits and the economy. Thanks for the comments Steve.
      John Carey recently posted..It’s time to change the conversation and dump the birth certificate debateMy Profile

• Steve Dennis April 22, 2011 at 5:16 AM

A very good point John. The more the media focuses on this during the campaign, the less focus will be given to the issues that are more important. While I do think he is hiding something, I agree that the reason he must go is because of his policies and we must not let him get a free pass on the real issues.
        Steve Dennis recently posted..Battlefield diaryMy Profile

• Trestin Meacham April 21, 2011 at 6:50 AM

Amen John. I think this is why he does not release his records, it’s a calculated distraction.
    Trestin Meacham recently posted..MY WARNING FOR AMERICAMy Profile

• John Carey April 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM

It could be Trestin. My point is that because it will never be proven one way or another why waste the energy on it.

• Colin April 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I am not a birther, but he is hiding something. You don’t spend the millions (money that could feed the poor children of Union workers) to hide your past the way he has unless you got something to hide, not just the birth certificate, but his college transcripts and so forth. I agree this isn’t the main discourse we should be having, but we also can’t just let this go. He is the most powerful person in the world! If we can’t be positive of his past, what does that say about our election process? If you can unequivocally tell me you believe everything of import about Obama’s past has been revealed, then I guess there is nothing to talk about, but that most assuredly is not the case. There are questions, questions germane to his qualifications as holder of his lofty office. If we let them go, will they ever be brought up again? Will there be post-Obama investigations by the senate, I think not. He will go into history as the president no one was truly sure about whence he came from. I am sorry, there are too many questions regarding his past, fully fueled by his insistence that they NOT be revealed. You guys know me, I don’t harp on my blog about this issue, in fact, I don’t think I have made one post on any typical “birther” issue. So I am not speaking from some kook conspiratorial “fantasy”, but from a concerned American who is unsure as to the past and credentials of his freaking president. Does that make me a wacko?

• John Carey April 21, 2011 at 9:39 PM

Colin you may be 100 percent right on everything you’re saying but ask yourself if pushing this issue is going to advance the conservative cause. Is this issue really going to unseat a sitting President? If I was a betting man I would say no. The birth certificate issue should have been vetted long before he ran for the highest office in the land; but it wasn’t. Shame on the MSM for not doing their job again, but no surprise there. We’re wasting our time,money, and energy on an issue that is going the weight us down. This is a losing issue for the right, so I say drop it and move on to his record.

If we truly want Obama removed from office the best way to do it is with his own record. This can happen in less than two years. The MSM did an effective job at painting birthers as nut jobs and many independents agree. We need center right independents to embrace the conservative way of thinking and send Obama packing.

You do make great points here Colin and I don’t disagree with you when you say he might be hiding something, but the only thing that matters is to make sure he’s a one term President and riding the birther wave isn’t going to get that done.

Thanks for the comments.

• Colin April 21, 2011 at 11:48 PM

I agree it shouldn’t be a focus, but it should be investigated. I do not want it investigated in hopes of him somehow getting impeached, my trust in the Senate and the justice system are practically nil so I wouldn’t even consider that an option, my point is, if we let this crap slide, then it can happen again. Our government ceases to be ours when we aren’t even allowed to know whom the hell we are electing. It becomes an oligarchy of the Media and the two parties picking for us, we just pick which color we like. That is not the way our Republic is supposed to work, transparency is the key to our freedom, not some Obama/Pelosi version of transparency, but true open government that only an honest and forthright election process can guarantee, we are getting away from that as the Obama election has highlighted on so many levels. This is so much more important than a single election, this can effect elections for a long time.

• John Carey April 22, 2011 at 5:14 AM

I concede the point to you that we must do something for future elections to ensure transparency and the eligibility requirements of candidates who want to hold elected office in our nation. It will maintain the integrity of the process. I believe some states are already moving forward by passing laws that will require candidates to show documentation to prove they meet all the eligibility requirements and this is a step in the right direction.

• Jim at Conservatives On Fire April 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM

“The right doesn’t need the birth certificate debate to defeat Obama, they have his dismal record.”

Right on, John. I f we force him to run on his record, he doen’t have a chance. You are right; we must stay on message.
    Jim at Conservatives On Fire recently posted..Obama’s Plan for Automatic Tax IncreasesMy Profile

• John Carey April 21, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Thanks Jim. That’s exactly what I’m thinking. Use his record against him.

• rjjrdq April 21, 2011 at 2:21 PM

I agree with Colin. My current job required me to present a copy of my full birth certificate and my passport. They would not have considered me without it. What’s strange is that Obama has spent millions to make sure that information isn’t public. Does that not seem strange?
    rjjrdq recently posted..Arizona Steps up Once AgainMy Profile

• John Carey April 21, 2011 at 9:43 PM

It is definitely worth noting, but is shouldn’t be the focus of our efforts to unseat him in 2012.

• Infidel de Manahatta April 21, 2011 at 2:33 PM

The birther issue is a red herring. I’ve never been a fan of conspiracy theories or theorists. I wonder how many birthers are also truthers?
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..Congress Repeals Article 1 Section 9 Clause 8 of ConstitutionMy Profile

• John Carey April 21, 2011 at 9:43 PM

I agree that it is indeed a red herring. I also believe it plays into the left’s hand.

• 5etester April 21, 2011 at 2:54 PM

No matter where you stand on this issue, I can’t see it going away. There are too many people invested in it now. Jerome Corsi will release his book next month and ignite it even further.

Now that states are enacting legislation to force candidates to provide it in 2012, we’ll likely find out what Obama has on his anyway.

Why has he spent a couple million bucks keeping his records under wraps? Who knows but if he really invented this whole issue as an intended conspiracy to use for political gain, that’s pretty shrewd. Sorry John, I don’t think you’ll get your wish. People love a good conspiracy and you can’t just put the genie back in the bottle now.

• John Carey April 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I’m not saying people don’t like a good conspiracy, I’m saying if the ultimate goal is to remove Obama from office, the birth certificate issue is not the way to go. I know it might not go away, but I see it doing more damage to our cause than good.

• Matt April 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM

I’ve been banging my head off the wall with this one since it emerged. It’s been my “conspiracy theory” that Obama won’t release anything because people are spending time and money to “expose” it. WND is putting up billboards. They cost into 5 figures each. How many candidates could that help? How much manpower is being wasted on this? In light of that, why release anything when your opposition is wasting time and money on it? And all the while, his policies are killing the country.

Gotta go and facepalm now.
    Matt recently posted..Classic Conservative Hideout- Individual Rights Vs The CollectiveMy Profile

• John Carey April 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM

Very good point Matt. Maybe the plan is really to use the issue to keep us distracted and not talking about the real issues. As Manhattan said it’s nothing but a red herring.

• LD Jackson April 22, 2011 at 4:38 AM

There is something else about this issue that no one has mentioned. Keep in mind who Barack Obama was running against in the Democratic primary. I am positive the Clintons would have uncovered and exposed anything even remotely suspicious about his birth certificate, had there been something to this theory.
    LD Jackson recently posted..Do We Really Need Government Insurance AgentsMy Profile

• Mike April 23, 2011 at 8:39 PM

You know it’s possible the Dems have promoted Trump as a Conservative GOPcandidate with Trump’s approval, much like the Dems accused the GOP of doing in the South Carolina Senate race with Alvin Greene. Trump WAS a Democrat at one time.
    Mike recently posted..Why Republicans Are Scared Of AbortionMy Profile

• John Carey April 23, 2011 at 9:33 PM

That could be. He’s not very conservative.