SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Friday Ramblings: How overcoming our fears can save a nation

Friday Ramblings: How overcoming our fears can save a nation

I’m not a big fan of going to the dentist.  In fact I really can’t stand it.  I have this thing about someone probing around in my mouth poking and prodding at my teeth; but I know it’s necessary for good oral hygiene.  So each year I psyche myself up and reluctantly schedule my annual dental examine.  This year I scheduled it out of cycle because I was having some issues.  Sure enough a cavity was discovered under one of my fillings.  This did not sit well with me.  I don’t get cavities that often and the thought of having the area numbed up using a needle, the filling and cavity removed, then a new filling installed was daunting prospect.  I actually thought I might be able to live with the discomfort for awhile and put the procedure off.  I know this doesn’t sound very smart, but my fear of dentists had me in its grip.  I finally came to my senses and realized that I had to go through this major ordeal in order to fix what was wrong.  Even though this was going to be an uncomfortable experience for me I knew that if I ignored my bad tooth it could lead to bigger health issues.  So to improve the overall health of my body, I needed to suck it up and get my tooth fixed.   I went back in a week and it was every bit as bad as I thought it would be; however before I knew it the torture session was over and I was on my way out the door.  Now I know many of you must think I’m a pansy, but for me dentists are the devil and I will do just about anything to avoid a visit to their office.  So what does this have to do with politics and our current national events?  Well a great deal.

You see sometimes we act irrational out of fear and allow our fears to overwhelm us.  Right now many people in America are demanding that we address our spending and fiscal problems.  They want a plan that will balance the budget and reform entitlement programs.  Well at least this is what they’re demanding.  The truth is many are afraid to truly address these problems because in their hearts they know it’s going to be a painful task.  They would rather live with the pain for awhile longer and jeopardize the entire health of the system than get it fixed.  They have been so dependent on the federal government for so long they fear a world where the government plays a more limited role.  They fear standing on their own two feet and being responsible for their own financial future because for so long the government has held their hand.  And trust me our elected officials know this.  This is why we keep hearing that this is a problem that cannot be fixed over night.  This is a problem that was 8o years in the making and it will take time to turn it around.  We need to live with the pain of an anemic economy and high gas prices for a while longer until we can get the right party in place to change it all.  We’ve heard this same sad excuse for not doing anything for the last 30 years and we’ll keep buying this lie because it’s a safer thing to accept the status quo than fix the problem.

We will live with this pain and allow our politicians to continue to kick the can down the road until finally everything we know collapses in on itself and we’re left with nothing.  We will ignore the pain until the overall health of the system is in jeopardy and we’re left with very few options.  We will be irrational because of our fear and 10 years from now when we still have the same problems x 10, we will wonder why the Republicans didn’t fix it when they had the chance.  It will be the same as it has been for the last 30 years.  Our government will be spending beyond its means and propping up dead end entitlement programs with borrowed money.  It’s time to overcome our fears and make the appointment to get the problem fixed.  It’s time to face the music and get our financial house in order and save the future for our children.  Yes it will be painful at first but in the long run the overall health of the nation will improve.  We will be stronger for it as a nation and a people and just maybe save our republic in the process.

It’s time for the political games and delay tactics to end.  It’s time to overcome our fears and fix our problems.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • Steve Dennis April 29, 2011 at 5:29 AM

I can relate John, I also can’t stand going to the dentist and it led to some problems which I had to get fixed before it was too late. I did and I have learned my lesson, I only hope that we as a country realize that the problem must be fixed before it is too late. People claim they want reform until they realize they may lose something they have been getting all along and I hope that the people–and the politicians–realize that we are reaching the breaking point and it must be corrected now.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..New Hampshire poll 04-23-11 shows Mitt Romney ahead of Barack ObamaMy Profile

• John Carey April 29, 2011 at 6:17 AM

I think we just need to suck it up and fix the problem. The first step is making the appointment and that means electing the right people for this job. People who will put principle and country above all else and not worry about their own self preservation.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings- How overcoming our fears can save a nationMy Profile

• Fuzzy April 29, 2011 at 10:05 AM

Excellent post. (tweeted)
    Fuzzy recently posted..The Last Gasp of the RAAAACISM AccusationMy Profile

• Jim at Conservatives On Fire April 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Getting a cavity fixed is a great analogy, John. Your choice was to suffer a lot of pain now or suffer a lot more pain later. You made the wise choice. Today, America faces the same choice. God willing, America will make the wise choice
    Jim at Conservatives On Fire recently posted..Is China About To Be A Party PooperMy Profile

• Infidel de Manahatta April 29, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Whenever Prince Barry talks about the economy I get the same feeling that Dustin Hoffman did in the Marathon Man. Is it safe yet?
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..Star Fleet to Rethink Betazoid Ships CounselorsMy Profile

• Teresa April 29, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Great post! You hit the nail on the head with this post. This country needs to take our medicine now before it is too late. I fear that is what the progressives wish on our country, that it is too late to save it. That’s why I say compromising with the Left is detrimental to our nation. I tweeted your post.
    Teresa recently posted..Prince William and Kate Middletons Royal Wedding- Music Pays Tribute to Princess DianaMy Profile

• John Carey April 29, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Thanks Teresa. We do need to suck it up and fix the problems. No more delay tactics, no more games. It’s time to take our medicine. Thanks for the tweet.

• Matt April 30, 2011 at 11:33 AM

Fear is a very strong inhibiting factor against change. As we have seen. Many will resort to violence to keep their hands in someone else’s pocket.
    Matt recently posted..A Fun Way to go on the OffensiveMy Profile

• Tony Fernandez April 30, 2011 at 2:20 PM

A brave politician is an unelectable politician in our current system of voting. Just some food for thought.

• John Carey April 30, 2011 at 3:03 PM

I agree because our fear to really address the problems has created this current environment. We the people are responsible for this mess because we can’t understand the freedom our grandparent’s enjoyed. And as long as they know we’re too afraid to live in a country where government’s role is much more limited, they will continue to expand the size of government and kick the can down the road in regards to our fiscal woes. Thanks for the comments.

• Trestin May 1, 2011 at 5:00 AM

John, my hope is that the pain will drive us to fix the problem before the damage becomes irreversible. I do think things will get better, but we may are going to have to go through some serious pain.
    Trestin recently posted..BIRTHER-MANIAMy Profile

• John Carey May 1, 2011 at 8:31 PM

I agree Trestin. This will need to get worse and maybe that’s what it will take before we finally decide it is time to fix the problems.
      John Carey recently posted..Teeing it Up- A Round at the LINKsMy Profile