SENTRY JOURNAL » Elections, Politicians » Winning in 2012 is about generating excitement

Winning in 2012 is about generating excitement

How many of you are really excited about the current collection of Republicans who are expressing an interest in running in 2012?  With the exception of Herman Cain and Ron Paul almost all of them are big government center right politicians.  These are the same type of establishment politicians we complain about on a daily basis in our post.  They are the middle of the road lukewarm brand the Tea Party movement is rallying against and yet we’re being steered in the direction to support a Mitt Romney or a Mike Huckabee.  I just watched Sean Hannity with Dick Morris and not once did Morris mention Herman Cain or Ron Paul as serious candidates who could beat Obama.  Instead he talked about Mitt Romney, Mike Huckabee, Mitch Daniels, and Newt Gingrich; three of the four being big government types.  He dismissed the likes of a Herman Cain by not even mentioning him and I found it quite insulting.  What’s worse is I can see what they’re trying to do and it’s really starting to tick me off.  You hear words like electability and mainstream tossed out there by the establishment supporting Karl Roves of the political world.  They talk about being able to expand the tent and be acceptable to the electorate.  How much excitement is this really going to generate with the conservative base?  The answer is about the same amount that was generated with John McCain.  They’re offering us cookies and milk when we want pizza and beer.

The truth is we tried this terrible strategy in 2008 and it failed us miserably.  We didn’t generate the excitement in the base we needed to get enough volunteers required to win a national election.  Don’t be fooled, in national elections it takes boots on the ground going from door to door to get a candidate elected.  The more volunteers you have on the ground the better chance your candidate has of winning.  This only happens when people are excited about the candidate they support. It happens with candidates who are bold and who separate themselves from the herd of political fence riders.  This doesn’t happen with lukewarm politicians like Mitt Romney and Mike Huckabee.  There is minimal excitement and fewer ground pounders.  We witnessed first-hand this lack of excitement in John McCain’s campaign.  Obama killed us with his ground game and much of this had to do with the excitement his candidacy generated with his liberal base.  People in his camp knew he was a far left guy and he stood by his far left ideology.  By doing so he generated excitement with his base and won easily in 2008.  So don’t let anyone sell you on the idea your candidate can’t win standing on firm conservative ground.  That’s a load of crap!

We must heed the words of Ronald Reagan and separate ourselves from these pastel Republicans.  We must support the candidates that the MSM hates and the political pundits call too extreme.  Ronald Reagan was viewed as extreme and unelectable and yet he won twice.  How could this be?  It was because he separated himself with bold colors and stood on principle.  He generated excitement with the base and this excitement spread like wildfire across party lines.  This is why there were so many Reagan Democrats.

We cannot allow ourselves to be steered once again into this trap.  We can’t afford a John McCain part two.  We simply don’t have the energy to waste on moderates.  Our republic is in dire straits and we’re running out of time.  We need to stand up and support candidates that excite us; electability or not.  And as conservatives what excites us is our constitution, limited government, reduced spending, and unwavering support of our free markets.  Find a candidate who truly stands for those principles and you have something to be excited about.  And excitement is the key to beating Obama.

Filed under: Elections, Politicians · Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments
  • rjjrdq May 10, 2011 at 2:45 AM

I don’t know if you’re familiar with the talk show host Hugh Hewitt, but he said guys like Cain should just get out of the race. They have no chance of winning and are wasting valuable media time. That’s what we’re up against. He’s got an audience and is actually campaigning against the best candidates.
    rjjrdq recently posted..Pakistan Lobbies Washington With Taxpayer DollarsMy Profile

• John Carey May 10, 2011 at 6:25 AM

I know what you mean. Some of these talk show host are nothing but mouth pieces for the establishment. They are misguided in their stance and they are leading the people astray.

• LD Jackson May 10, 2011 at 5:20 AM

This all sounds exactly like 2008, except that time around, people like Sean Hannity excluded the one candidate that could possibly have defeated Barack Obama. At the time, it was Mike Huckabee that was left out in the cold, with virtually no media coverage by news organizations such as Fox. During that campaign, I said some of the same things you have said in your post.

I know you are not a fan of Huckabee and I am not sure he is even going to run, but he is not as much of a big government man as you suppose.
    LD Jackson recently posted..The Irony of EgalitarianismMy Profile

• John Carey May 10, 2011 at 6:30 AM

It sounds very similar to 2008 and I’m not liking it it. I just want them to stop steering the people in the direction they want us to go. What they’re doing is wrong Larry. As for Huckabee, I should have said stated it a bit differently. I’m not a fan because he does have some big government tendencies. I’m not necessarily against him as much as I’m against the entire process that locked him out in 2008. He has now become one of the golden boys and sound candidates are being locked out as he was in 2008.

• Steve Dennis May 10, 2011 at 5:25 AM

Great post John, we let the media pick our candidate in 2008 and now they are trying to do it again. We must not let them tell us who can and who cannot beat Barack Obama. People like Rove are trying to protect the good ole boys and are trying to shape our opinions, but we must ignore them for where have they gotten us? As of right now I am voting for Cain but I would love to see Allen West jump in the race. I would actually consider voting for Ron Paul if he wasn’t so much of an isolationist.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Barack Obama turns his back on 9-11 family member at today’s Ground Zero ceremonyMy Profile

• John Carey May 10, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Thanks Steve. I like what Ron Paul has to say in terms of his position on the role of government. I agree he is a bit of a isolationist and this is a turn off. As of I now I too support Herman Cain. I would like to see an Allen West of even a Rand Paul jump in.

• Trestin Meacham May 10, 2011 at 6:43 AM

After 10 years of war with no end in sight, a growing debt and more and more freedoms taken; I would love some isolationism. Cain is out in my mind because of his ties to the Fed. He may talk a good game, but he gets his marching orders from the same people as Obama.

Ron Paul is the anti Obama. You can look at any almost issue and Obama’s actions and stance on it and you will find Ron Paul is the opposite.
    Trestin Meacham recently posted..PARNELL &amp THE ROYAL WEDDINGMy Profile

• John Carey May 10, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I absolutely agree Trestin. I’m still not a fan of isolationism, but we’re not always going to agree. The point of the post is that we need to stop being manipulated by the establishment and being told who we should vote for. We need to vote for the conservative, not for the conservative lite. We don’t need another John MCCain. We need bold colors and stark differences to win.
      John Carey recently posted..Winning in 2012 is about generating excitementMy Profile

• Country Thinker May 10, 2011 at 1:34 PM

Two points:

1) Cain is a big business guy, and his Fed ties and support for TARP show he’s a big government guy, too. The two who stand out from the pack on an ideological basis are Paul and Johnson.

2) Winning in 2012 may become a matter of energy, but first it must be a matter of nominating a candidate who fully appreciates the gravity of the situation we’re in. Nominate one of the RINOs and there will be no “victory” regardless of the energy the candidate garners.

• John Carey May 10, 2011 at 8:58 PM

This may be true about Cain, so sift through the field and find the true conservative and vote for them no matter what the pundits say. The first step is always the hardest but I’ll be damned if I allow these talking heads to choose our candidate. We must choose or like you said we will be far worse off in the end.

• Country Thinker May 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM

The good thing is that the presidential nomination is one of the hardest for the establishment to control due to the broad amount of information available. A candidate for the House can easily get washed away when the RINOs put there minds to it. I watched it happen here last year.

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire May 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM

You nailed it, John. We must stand on principles or we have no where to stand at all. I too don’t like the way Cain is being treated in the media. Unlike Trestin, I don’t hold his time at the Fed against him. That was a side trip. He is a businessman above all. If we allow the establishment Republicans to decide who our candidate is going to be, we can kiss America goodbye .
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..What Is The Debt Ceiling Debate AboutMy Profile

• John Carey May 10, 2011 at 10:11 PM

Thanks Jim. I believe a good compass that will help guide us towards true conservatives is how the MSM and the establishment Republicans treat them. If the MSM are ignoring or attacking these candidates or the establishment Republicans are treating them as too far right or even extreme, here is where we can start our search for our candidate.

• Infidel de Manahatta May 10, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Hopefully the Republicans won’t commit suicide and nominate big government moderate. If they do it’s time for another party.

God help us if Obama is reelected.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..New York Bans Competitive Sports for ChildrenMy Profile

• John Carey May 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM

We need to get this one right Manhattan or you’re right…we’re in trouble.

• Teresa May 10, 2011 at 8:19 PM

You hit the nail on the head, John. Although, I disagree about Huckabee. But, my two favorites at this point are Herman Cain and Rick Santorum. We cannot have a repeat of 2008. No dang RINOS. We need to put up a small government conservative against Obama the believer in big or HUGE government and not just give the electorate the choice between BIG government and not quite as big government.
    Teresa recently posted..A Roll Model is ToastMy Profile

• John Carey May 10, 2011 at 10:28 PM

Thanks Teresa. We need to take back the discussion as we the people and not fall into this trap the MSM is setting. I fear for our nation if we do.

• steve May 12, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Great post. We don’t need the media (or talk radio mouthpieces like Hannity) picking the most conservative candidates for 2012.
    steve recently posted..Fitz and the Tantrums and Daryl Hall- MoneyGrabberMy Profile