SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Friday Ramblings: What if…

Friday Ramblings: What if…

Have you ever asked yourself what if?  I know I have and lately I find myself asking “what if” more often.

What if we fired Ben Bernanke and the Federal Reserve was eliminated?  In my opinion Bernanke has been an absolute failure as the Chairman of the Federal Reserve.  Appointed by President Bush in 2006, Bernanke has used smoke and mirrors to create the illusion of a sound monetary policy.  His decision to monetize our debt by implementing  QE1, QE2, and now there’s talk of a new round of money printing this summer has not only devalued our currency but has had a direct impact on our fiscal standing in the world.  We need to take a critical look at the central bank Thomas Jefferson and James Madison were so vehemently opposed to.  We need to consider eliminating the central bank and passing the baton back to the free market.  I understand this is a scary notion because we have grown accustomed to a central bank manipulating the free market; but at this point what do we have to lose.  We’re heading off a financial cliff under the Fed’s watch.  Maybe it’s time again for the free markets to dictate interest rates and for the banks to be free at last.

What if we actually gave capitalism a chance?  Let’s face it we haven’t been operating under a capitalistic system for the last 40 years.  We have been operating under the illusion of a capitalistic system; they now call it a mixed economic system.  I call it socialistic because the government is trying to control the means of production.  The car industry, banking system, and healthcare industry were all nationalized under our very noses.  Now the government is seeking to control the means of production of our energy companies using the EPA to impose strict environmental standards.  They are trying to control our agricultural industry through the Food Safety Modernization Act.  They want to control the internet by forcing net neutrality down our throats.  Folks this is what socialism feels and looks like and they actually have the audacity to call it a mixed economy.  The one thing I do know is it’s not capitalism.   The government should not be in the business of picking winners and losers and that’s exactly what they’re doing using regulations and acts.  It’s time to try something we haven’t tried in 40 years…capitalism.

What if we used our Founders as the benchmark for all elected officials to be measured against?  Would any of our present-day elected representatives measure up?  I would say only a hand full and that’s simply not enough to get it done.  We need to learn about our Founders and understand the type of people they were.  What did they stand for?  How did they view liberty and the role of government?  Would they have tolerated any of buffoonery going on in Washington these days?  My feeling is absolutely not.  And if they wouldn’t tolerate these clowns why should we.  They wouldn’t stand for the conduct of a Charlie Rangel or an Anthony Weiner.  These were honorable men who pledged their fortunes, lives, and sacred honor to secure the blessing of liberty and freedom for all of us.  These are the type of people we should be sending to Washington.   How many of those clowns in Washington today would do the same?  If I had to take a stab at it I would say zero point zero.

These are a few of the “what ifs” I’ve been pondering lately.  I feel they’re important because until these issues are addressed the republic is going to continue to slip away and one day we will find ourselves asking what happened to our beloved republic and what if we did things differently.  I’m already asking that question.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • Steve Dennis June 3, 2011 at 5:22 AM

Hamilton is one of my least favorite founders, mostly for the way he turned on Madison after the Federalist Papers and for the way he ended up actually supporting a stronger federal government. His support of a central bank is another reason, it is looking more and more as if Thomas Jefferson was right on this issue, it is amazing how far into the future our founders could see. If people would only ready the founding documents they would be stunned to see what is in them.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Barack Obama’s Commerce Department nominee admits that cap and trade is a hidden taxMy Profile

• John Carey June 3, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Hamilton was a big government type founder. He was actually one of the few founders who believed we should have a king. I agree with you when you say if people would just read some of the founders writings they would be amazed just how in tune these folks were with the signs of the time.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings- What if…My Profile

• John Galt June 3, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Alexander Hamilton was a giant of a man.
    We have to put thing into historical context. He was an advocate of more centralized government when there was none – the opposite of today where there is too much – and the dangers of breaking-up the Union were very high if each State went its own merry way.

Second, the finances and debts of the Union were in disarray after the revolutionary war. Washington could not pay his army.
    Third, there was no banking and financial system to back-up the central government budgets. Fourth, he was the brains behind every move that Washington made. Washington was the glue, Hamilton was the wheels.

Another rap on Hamilton that was demagogued by Jefferson, his ultimate enemy, and consequently, that of Washington, is that he wanted a King. Nothing is further from the actual facts, for Hamilton wanted centralization, and he accepted Washington as the central pivot; what Hamilton wanted was a Parliamentary Democracy like the British. For that system you need a central maximum figure that is above politics, i.e., Washington filled that role in the mind of Hamilton. I might point out that 8 of the freest nations in the world today (as compiled by the Heritage Foundation) have Parliamentary Democracies.

Note 1: In a Parliamentary Democracy, Obama would not be President (Prime Minister) today after 3 years.

Note 2: Hamilton was the author of 75% of The Federalist, with the other 25% filled by Madison an Jay. The Federalist papers are the basis of our Constitution.
    Hamilton was a giant of the likes we do not have today.
    John Galt recently posted..The Donkey That Played the Flute – Part IMy Profile

• John Carey June 4, 2011 at 10:04 AM

I appreciate the contributions Hamilton made; however I’m a Patrick Henry type person and therefore in favor of very limited government at the federal level. Hamilton’s approach was designed to consolidate power at the federal level and diminish the power at the state level. I give the founders credits for finding a balance, something it seems no one in Washington is willing to do these days. Yes Hamilton was indeed one of the main authors of the the Federalist Papers; articles that were crafted to sell the idea of the constitution to the states. For every argument Hamilton, John Jay, and Madison made in favor of the constitution there were sound arguments in the anti-federalist papers to counter each. In fact if you read the anti-federalist papers you will see that the fears they had about a stronger central government growing out of control have come true. Thanks for the comments John.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings- What if…My Profile

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire June 3, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Exactly because of all of your “what if” questions is why we must throw the bums out and start over again. Can we do it? I have my doubts.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Death Panels are NICE – ReallyMy Profile

• John Carey June 4, 2011 at 10:23 AM

I have my doubts also Jim because they are masters at playing into the fears of the people. These people in Washington are not about ideas or solutions, they’re about money and power and they’re using fear to gain more each day.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings- What if…My Profile

• Infidel de Manahatta June 3, 2011 at 1:57 PM

We’ve been using the Fed as a crutch. People are scared to not have a central bank. I’m not saying that if we eliminate it there wouldn’t be short term dislocations. But we managed to survive (even fund the Civil War) without a central bank from the 1830s to WWI.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..Chewbacca Confirms Rumors- Yes- I’m Gay!My Profile

• John Carey June 4, 2011 at 10:40 AM

There would be some pain and a learning curve; however we would be far better off in the long run. With a free market as our vehicle we would be just fine. Thanks for the comment.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings- What if…My Profile

• Silverfiddle June 3, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Infidel explains why it won’t happen. People have been conditioned to believe a central bank is like air. Remove it and we all die. Nothing is further from the truth.

Congress is charged with coining money and regulating its value. It has outsourced that responsibility (abdicated it, really) to the Federal Reserve, which it also gave two conflicting mandates: maximum employment and stable prices.

This is a recipe for constant fiddling, masking essential market signals.

George will explains this folly well:

Silverfiddle recently posted..Ron Paul for PresidentMy Profile

• Matt June 3, 2011 at 8:27 PM

I have to agree. Conditioning has a significant role in any control structure.
      Matt recently posted..Self Fulfilling Prophesy Unions to Erect a “Tent City” in MadisonMy Profile

• John Carey June 4, 2011 at 10:54 AM

It always has Matt. This is why so many conservative are leery about Sarah Palin. They have been conditioned by the left. The left pitched these wild claims about her without anything to back up over and over again until finally it started to stick even though none it was true. They successfully conditioned the masses.
        John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings- What if…My Profile

• John Carey June 4, 2011 at 10:48 AM

You are absolutely correct Silver. People have grown so accustomed to the FED tinkering and manipulating the money supply and markets that many it as the all knowing entity that can steer and power our economic vehicle. This is simply not true and as you so eloquently stated it is indeed a recipe that will masks the real market indicators.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings- What if…My Profile

• TexasFred June 4, 2011 at 4:50 PM

What if?

What if Americans remain as apathetic as they have been of late?

What if we can’t get Obama out of office? What if the GOP/RNC offer up an even worse choice for 2012 than they did in 2008?

What if Obama truly IS as evil, and as intent on destroying the USA as many, me included, believe him to be?
    TexasFred recently posted..Bleak jobs report dampens hopes of steady growthMy Profile

• Teresa June 4, 2011 at 5:28 PM

@John Galt made some good points but I think in looking back we can say that the anti-Federalists were correct in their fears or concerns. IMO for at least 40 years we have had a combination of socialism and crony capitalism in our country. I agree that the Federal Reserve needs to be eliminated.
    Teresa recently posted..Ultimate Undercover Operation- Ben Shapiro Gets TV Executives To Admit That Hollywood Pushes a Liberal AgendaMy Profile

• Mike June 4, 2011 at 6:17 PM

There are several “what if’s” we can surmise, such as – What if we did away with the Dept of Education -or – What if we did away with the Dept. of Energy and the EPA. The “What if’s” are infinitesimal.
    Mike recently posted..Toxic Light Bulbs And The Vehicle Mileage Tax Coming To A Town Near YouMy Profile

• What If…? « That Mr. G Guy's Blog June 4, 2011 at 6:21 PM

[…] friend, John Carey over at The Sentry Journal asks a serious question in his latest Friday Ramblin’s essay…What if? Have you ever […]

• […] Sentry Journal posts Friday Ramblings: What If… […]

• […] It’s about our founding!   Last Friday John from Sentry Journal wrote a great piece called What If… in which he criticized both Ben Bernanke and the Federal Reserve, he advocates for using our […]

• Teresa June 11, 2011 at 11:14 AM