SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » D-Day: June 6, 1944

D-Day: June 6, 1944

It was 67 years ago this day when land, naval, and air forces of the allied forces launched Operation Overlord; a daring assault to establish a foothold on Hitler’s Fortress Europe.  Normandy France was the target as the largest amphibious assault involving over 160,000 troops and 5,000 ships attacked on the morning of June 6, 1944.  Below is a clip of the very beginning of the invasion to retake Europe.

The next phase was hitting the beaches.  The soldiers knew the odds were against them and many felt they would not survive the day.  One such soldier was a young American soldier named Hal Baumgarten.  He was a private in the 116th Regiment and part of the first wave to hit the beaches of Omaha.  Below is his account of that day.

Many of us today could not even imagine such chaos.  As you can see by the above clips once the troops landed on the beaches they were hit hard by entrenched Germans.  Omaha beach was a nightmare because of its high cliffs giving the German troops an advantage.  Below is another clip of how these beaches were taken.

The courageous acts of these men on that day should always be remembered.  We should never forget how much they gave for each of us so that we may live as a free people.  Below is a final clip that displays some of this courage in the face of certain death.

The Military Channel did a great job with these videos. I will never forget this day or the men who fought to save our world.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • Bob Mack June 6, 2011 at 1:32 AM

Great post. My own D-Day memorial is up, I wonder how many libs/Progressives/Democrats will take time to remember…any bets?
    Bob Mack recently posted..It’s A Mad- Mad WorldMy Profile

• John Carey June 6, 2011 at 6:06 AM

Thanks Bob. My guess is not many. I didn’t see one story on it on Huffington Post…not surprised.
      John Carey recently posted..D-Day- June 6- 1944My Profile

• Steve Dennis June 6, 2011 at 5:42 AM

Great tribute John! We must never forget what these men did on that day, in my opinion it was the most important day of the 20th century. Those videos are phenomenal, I have the DVR set to record the show tonight.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Barack Obama’s “Red Right Hand”My Profile

• John Carey June 6, 2011 at 6:10 AM

Thanks Steve. I think it’s vital that remember days like today because it is who we are. These men took the first steps that day in not only saving Europe but saving the entire world. We owed to our children and these fine men to honor and remember their action on this day.
      John Carey recently posted..D-Day- June 6- 1944My Profile

• Infidel de Manahatta June 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM

It would never happen today unfortunately. The Democrats would start crying over the loss of life and pull all troops out.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..My Exclusive Interview with Anthony WeinerMy Profile

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire June 6, 2011 at 8:33 AM

America has never been short of brave and valiant men and women when needed to defend our freedom. But we do seem to be running low on those that appreciate and remember them. You did a great job here today, John. Thank you.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Guest Saturday with Frankenstein GovernmentMy Profile

• John Carey June 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM

You are so right Jim. Whenever I see a vet from any of our wars I make it a point to go up to them and shake their hands and thank them. I feel obligated to do so. Thanks for the comments.
    John Carey recently posted..Case of the Mundays 6-6-11My Profile