SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Friday Ramblings: Where’s the conviction for conservatism?

Friday Ramblings: Where’s the conviction for conservatism?

A few weeks ago I was asked if I thought there would be some type of compromise in the debt ceiling debate.  I replied, “I hope not!”  The truth is I know the Republicans will cave in because there simply aren’t enough of them that have a strong conviction for conservatism, which tells me that we have far too many Republicans pretending to be conservative.  These pretenders are easily recognizable.  They are always the first to move to the center to find compromise even though the center is now located firmly to the left.  They are the first to jump out of the rank and file to cut bad deals behind closed door.  They are more concerned with their own influence and power than representing their constituents or states.  They’re always looking for a way to run away from the conservatism they profess to embrace and they have been playing this game for years.    If only they had the same conviction for conservatism as Democrats have for progressivism, Obamacare wouldn’t have made it to the floor of the Senate or House of Representative.  The truth is the Democrats’ conviction for progressivism and their unwillingness to bend or compromise has served them well.

The Democrats have managed to successfully pull the ideological center in America to the left because they stand firm in their belief that big government is the answer to all our problems.  They embrace the concept of the ends justifies the means and will say and do anything to shamelessly advance their cause.  They do not care who they steamroll or hurt; all that matters is their agenda.  They will use any method or process to spread their poison.  There is no compromise in their mindset; it’s a one way street.  As flawed as their ideology is, they embrace it and believe in it and this is why they have been successful.  This is how they managed to garner so many votes in the 2006 and 2008 elections.  They did whatever it took to win and if they meant portraying themselves as center-right politicians so be it.   Americans tend to turn away from wishy washy politicians and gravitate towards those who they believe stand for something.  They tend to be pulled towards people who are strong in their convictions and firmly believe in what they are peddling.  This is how it always has been in America and how it will be in the future.

I believe in conservatism because it embraces the individual and dismisses the collective.  It reduces the size of government and protects individual liberties.  My conviction for conservatism is strong and anyone would be extremely hard pressed to move me from my position.  I’m 100 percent sold on it.  The problem in Washington these days is there is a large number of Republicans who are not sold on it.  This is why they are so quick to turn their backs on conservatism.  Ronald Reagan was really the last true conservative President and he ran on solid conservative platform.  He beat Jimmy Carter and pounded Walter Mondale in 1984 in a landslide victory.  He stood by solid conservative principles and did what many did not think he could do, win.  Ronald Reagan attracted a variety of voters from all walks of life.  He cut across the political spectrum and advanced the conservative message during a time when people were uncertain about America.  He didn’t believe in the wishy washy, he championed the bold colors of his political philosophy.  Folks this can indeed happen again if the Republicans stand firm in their convictions and embrace conservatism instead of discarding it at the first sign of trouble.

We need to feel good about being conservative.  We need to be strong in our conviction for conservatism.  Ronald Reagan blazed this trail for us and laid out the roadmap for success.  Maybe it’s time we follow his example and lead from the front instead of from the rear.

Liberty forever, freedom for all.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • Infidel de Manahatta July 22, 2011 at 2:09 PM

We need another Reagan. Sadly as the post points out Republicans for the most part will do anything to avoid being labeled “extreme” or conservative. I’m no expert in psychology but the Republicans are internalizing. 50 years of the press calling them stupid, extreme, out of touch with core American values and the Republicans are starting to believe the press’s drivel.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..Price of Bacon Soars!My Profile

• John Carey July 22, 2011 at 6:05 PM

They don’t want to upset the apple cart. They have been bullied around for so long by the Democrats and MSM that alll they know is how to operate in the parameters both groups have created. They’re playing by the left’s rules and they’re losing. Big surprise.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings: Where’s the conviction for conservatism?My Profile

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire July 22, 2011 at 5:07 PM

The liberal/progressives have been very diligent in selecting and electing people who share their point of view. We conservatives are either a small minority of the right or we have done a terrible job of selecting and electing people who share our point of view.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Libertarians Say Conservatives Support Welfare and Statism?My Profile

• Bunkerville July 22, 2011 at 6:51 PM

After witnessing Obama and Boehner’s pressers, I have little hope that we will hold firm I think Obama wants to have a shut down so he can blame the GOP for the bad economy. Who is Moody and S&P? They wern’t worried about our debt before?
    Bunkerville recently posted..Fart Chart : State list of farts and burps of Dairy CowsMy Profile

• Steve Dennis July 23, 2011 at 6:45 AM

You are right on the money John, the Republicans always run as conservatives during the election only to move toward the center once elected; they either are not true conservatives or they are afraid to hold firm in their beliefs no matter what. Either way, it doesn’t matter because the results are the same.
    I hope they hold firm this time but history shows us what is going to happen in the end. House Republicans look solid at this point, and these are the Tea Party guys so while I don’t want to get my hopes up there is a chance that the House Republicans will remain solid. I do worry about Boehner though.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..The Senate votes to table “cut, cap, and balance”My Profile

• John Carey July 24, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I hope they hold firm also Steve however they have established a pattern of not holding the line. We need to stay more engaged and start hold them accountable for their votes. I know that sounds like the common sense answer, but it’s really that simple.

• […] SJ: Where’s the conviction for conservatism?  […]

• […] at Pundit and Pundette – President Planless preaches and […]

• Trestin July 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM

There is something about Washington that kills conservatism. I’ve all but given up on change on a federal level in the near future.

• John Carey July 24, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Then perhaps the states should start having their own closed doors meetings and change things on the state level.

• KingShamus July 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM

What Infidel said.

The thing is, when another Reagan does show up–Sarah Palin comes to mind–half the GOP is ready to trash her as an extremist.

The GOP might be a hopelessly flawed vessel for conservatism to further it’s goals.
    KingShamus recently posted..Amy Winehouse-RIPMy Profile

• John Carey July 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM

I think we just need people who stand on their principles and not worry about the press. We need people who do not care so much about power that it paralyzes them in their actions. This is what is happening with conservatism.

• […] Original Post:  The Sentry Journal […]