SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Friday Ramblings: The truth can be a painful friend

Friday Ramblings: The truth can be a painful friend

Over the last few days the Stock Market has responded negatively to the debt deal.  Yes I said the debt deal.  Don’t buy what the MSM is peddling about it being our slowing economy.  Our economy has seen anemic growth since the beginning of the year.  Unemployment has hovered around 9.2 percent for the last two years.  Each month we see an “unexpected” increase in unemployment numbers. The housing market is still in the crapper.  New construction is down.  Manufacturing jobs have been disappearing since Obama took office.  And banks are still closing their doors in unsettling numbers.  This has been the state of our economy for the last two years and the market actually grew under these conditions.  And yet the MSM would have you believe that suddenly market has noticed the lackluster performance of our economy and this is why it’s tanking.  Really?  Maybe the real reason the market is beginning to implode on itself is because it understands something many seem to be missing.

That something is the debt deal signed by the President earlier in the week.  This sham of a deal does very little to address Washington’s out of control spending and our overall debt problem.  Maybe the market sees the financial cliff we’re about to drive off of and they’re just existing the vehicle before it’s too late.  They see the predictable strategy of printing more money (QE3) to throw at the problem; an act that will only devalue our dollar even more and greatly reduce the spending power of the average American.  They see that very soon our credit rating WILL be reduced because there was not a serious effort by Washington to get their spending under control.  And lastly during all the debt ceiling talks in July they witnessed the Obama’s administration continue to write and enact massive regulations on the private sector.  Folks the truth can be painful friend.  What I mean by this is a painful friend will tell you the truth no matter how much it hurts.  It might make you angry but it doesn’t take away from the fact that it’s the truth.  And if you stomach it, face it, and accept it, you will be better for it.  And the truth is we were all played by Washington this past week.

Speaker Boehner settled for a do nothing plan that cuts just over $2 trillion in spending in 10 years.  The problem is we’re projected to spend over $ 8 trillion in the next 10 years.  So our overall debt is going to increase by over $6 trillion.  This means government will continue to expand and the private sector will continue to contract. Nothing but smoke and mirrors and the market sees this.  We need to come to terms with this simple truth; Speaker Boehner is part of the problem and should step down as Speaker of the House and someone should be installed in that position who stand by principle and advance the conservative cause.  Boehner in my opinion has actually hurt the cause.  Ronald Reagan once said never speak ill of fellow Republicans.  Out of all the great things Reagan did and said this is the only point where I disagree with him.  We have allowed these establishment beltway types to run the show for far too long and look where they have taken the conservative movement.  At some point we need to cut our losses and demand new leadership that will actually help usher in the conservative wave on its way.  These establishment types like Boehner are not about getting things done, they’re about creating the illusion of getting things done.  This debt deal, like the previous deal he brokered this past March during the government shut down “crisis” is about creating the illusion that something is actually being done.  He actually found agreement with progressives like Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama.  How can a conservative find common ground with a progressive?  I ask any of my conservative readers if they could find common ground with a progressive.  I know I wouldn’t be able to.  The market is reacting to the shell game they are playing with our future and that’s the painful truth.  I don’t believe a house divided can stand and that is what we are now a house divided.  We have a year to build off the conservative gains we made in 2010.  It’s time to take a hard look at those who voted for this debt ceiling bill and ask the hard questions.  Do they represent conservative values and deserve our votes? Will they stand on principle or cut and run?  The primary season is coming.  We need to take it very seriously of we want to continue to advance the cause.  If we just vote for the same, we will continue to be a house divided and in the end we will be unable to stand.  And that’s the painful truth.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , , , ,

Comments
  • Steve Dennis August 5, 2011 at 5:15 AM

This debt deal is very disappointing, and there are really only $10 billion in cuts over the next two years we can count on, after that it is doubtful a new Congress will honor these cuts. But the worse part of this deal to me is the Super Congress because I feel this is unconstitutional and I feel the Republicans were sold down the river–we had a majority in the House and controlled the purse strings and we gave it away to a bipartisan commission.
    While the Tea Part held firm the establishment cracked once again and I think this shows us we still need to elect more Tea Part members to the Congress in 2012.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Video: New Hampshire Senator Kelly Ayotte on the Senate floor explaining her opposition to the debt ceiling billMy Profile

• John Carey August 5, 2011 at 6:23 AM

Exactly Steve. We gave up our one major advantage. This was a self-imposed leveling of the playing field. I don’t get what Boehner was thinking. It no one else will say it, I will. It’s time for Boehner to step down. His has caved in one to many times for me. Now he gave away our one true advantage. It’s very said. 2012 will not come soon enough.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings: The truth can be a painful friendMy Profile

• LD Jackson August 5, 2011 at 6:27 AM

I can understand your frustration, as the debt ceiling deal leaves much to be desired. Could John Boehner have gotten a better deal? Possibly so, but it would probably have resulted in missing the deadline on August 2 and unlike you, I fully believe the Republicans would have been torn apart by the media. Even though much of what would have been said would have been untrue, the general public wouldn’t have known that. The results would not have been pretty, to say the least. As much as I would have liked to see a much better agreement, I believe we need to keep an eye forward to 2012. We have to win those elections and I am not convinced being the target of a media campaign designed to discredit the GOP is the best way to achieve that goal.

Having said that, let me reiterate that I do not like much of the agreement that Boehner and company negotiated. I just think it is the best we could do, given the reality and current makeup of our government.
    LD Jackson recently posted..The Obama Administration – Attacking The 2nd AmendmentMy Profile

• John Carey August 5, 2011 at 10:49 PM

As you know Larry I think this deal was cut back in July on a golf course; however I have zero proof to back it. So I must go with what I know and I know that not only doesn’t this bill address the debt issue but it diminishes the advantage the Republicans have in the house and this is what makes it such a bad deal. I do believe we could have done 10 times better. It would have been better to do nothing than to pass this sham of a bill in my opinion. At least the markets would think we were actually serious about debt reduction. I know you feel much the same about this being a bad deal overall. Thanks for the comments.

• silverfiddle August 5, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I agree with your observations, but not the conclusion.

It’s the economy. The market for treasurys is brisk and the interest on them is going lower, which means investors have confidence in dollars, only because most other currencies are in an even more precarious position.

Also, don’t believe that we’re “only” going to grow the debt $8 trillion over the next 10 years. It will be double that, especially if the Obama economy remains in the toilet.

Boehner and the repubs did the best they could, not having the senate or the white house. There was no way we were going to win the war with this battle. They lived to fight another day, avoiding the lefty smears.

2012 is the big battle. We’ve got to send Obama packing and take back the senate. Then we can begin setting things right
    silverfiddle recently posted..We Have a Long Way to GoMy Profile

• John Carey August 5, 2011 at 11:03 PM

I wish I could see things your way silver but my gut tells me we were sold out by Boehner and personally I’m tired of it. Sometimes you must stand on principle and in my opinion he did not. Raising taxes was nothing but a ruse that many fell for. For far too long we have granted actions like this a free pass. As for me…no more. The conservative movement has the wind at its back and it’s time for our so called party leaders to embrace conservatism instead of compromising it away whenever they believe it to be politically expedient to do so. We had already won the debate in the public eye and we gave it away. Very sad if you ask me.

• silverfiddle August 6, 2011 at 8:34 AM

I am not saying you are wrong, maybe they did sell out. But I’m suggesting another possibility is that they did not have the power to push their complete agenda through. Boehner doesn’t control the senate and he doesn’t have the White House.

They could have dug their heels in and refused to cooperate unless they got 100%, but the debt limit would be hit and then Obama holds all the cards, playing each one for dramatic effect. The toadies in the press would subject us to 24/7 heartsob stories about children and old people starving, and its all the greedy, uncompromising rich republicans’ fault.

I agree that this deal accomplished nothing, but the GOP did avoid the propaganda smear. The lefties are trying it, bu the people ain’t buying it.

The GOP will need credibility with the American people to really fix things if they win in 2012. This helps them, not hurts.

Be patient my fellow tea partiers! In politics, you need power to get your agenda through. The GOP does not have it right now, but be encouraged by how far the tea party had pushed the debate to the right. We’ve got the democrats now arguing not for new programs, but how to cut and how to save their favorite ones.

We are winning, but it’s going to take time
        silverfiddle recently posted..Quotable QuotesMy Profile

• Bunkerville August 5, 2011 at 10:52 AM

The trojan horse is the super congress. Just wait when they cannot come to an agreement. Good luck.. one big morass of bickering, which will end in us losing big time.
    Bunkerville recently posted..Iran’s joyless world for youthMy Profile

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire August 5, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Events in the world’s stock and bond markets are likely to take on a live of their own and we will realize that our leaders missed their last chance to do the right thing. Silverfiddle is right that investors are flocking to US bonds, but that is because Euro bonds are even worse. Right now investors have on other choice of where to park their money. But when returns go negative because of inflation, the party is over.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Did You Know That The US Funds Salaries For Palestinian TerroristMy Profile

• Infidel de Manahatta August 5, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Our paper fiat currency is beginning to make the Weimar Republic’s look good.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..The Manhattan Infidel’s Guide to Man-SpeakMy Profile

• Trestin August 5, 2011 at 2:33 PM

One positive aspect of all of this, more people are waking up to the fact that big media is nothing more than propaganda.
    Trestin recently posted..Weekend Triva #3My Profile

• Reaganite Republican August 5, 2011 at 2:43 PM

I agree with Rush, TOTAL waste of time an effort

And where were the GOP candidates through the epic debt battle…?

Except for Bachmann, that is
    Reaganite Republican recently posted..Last Surviving Pilot of 1942’s Astonishing ‘Doolittle Raid’ Col William Bower; a Brief History and Memorial Service in PicturesMy Profile

• proof August 5, 2011 at 4:39 PM

The reason the stock market plunged was the fact that neither the President or the Congress dealt with reducing the debt. Slowing down before you drive over the cliff is not the same as stopping or turning around.
    proof recently posted..Friday Night BabeMy Profile

• Matt August 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM

John, I really think that it’s a case of the economy wearing thing on Obamanomics. You can only beat on something for so long before it stops trying to get up.

I think we have to remember that this fight is years in the making. We have the House, and nothing else. We need to build for 2012, and get the White House. Then, we can have higher expectations. The next year and few months is really all about holding the line as best as we can, and preventing Obama from wrecking the place. Yes, he might be doing damage, but nothing like what would be happening if the Democrats still held control.
    Matt recently posted..SEIU Alinsky Styled Guide Revealed: Thug Tactics AboundMy Profile

• John Carey August 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM

I understand this Matt. I do believe there are a number of factors impacting the performance of the stock market to include Obama’s policies the Dodd and Frank financial reform law, and over regulation of the business world; however the source of all our problems stems from our government’s failure to address this spending. I truly believe this Matt. As for Boehner selling us out…well I believe this to be the truth also. Even though I can never prove it, my gut tells me he cut this deal on a golf course a month and a half ago and everything else was political theater for the base. Is this what we stand for? If it is then they can have it because I’ll have none of it.
      John Carey recently posted..Losing an A isn’t a +My Profile

• Teresa August 6, 2011 at 8:19 PM

John, I am so ticked about the whole “Super Congress” with regards to it being given so much power, and most likely unconstitutional. I don’t think Boehner liked the debt deal but realized that was the best he could do under the circumstances, with Dems holding both the Senate and the White House. Plus, the GOP would have been blasted by the media if we defaulted and the economy went even further south than it already has. Obama could really have pointed to something as to why the GOP should share the blame for our economic woes and the voters would be spoon-fed this propaganda by the media and many voters would eat that right up. If that had happened it could have ruined our chances to take back both the White House and Senate. Boehner was for Cut, Cap, and Balance so I’m not sure whether Boehner sold us out.
    Teresa recently posted..This is awesome! True Friendship – dog and dolphin loveMy Profile

• John Carey August 6, 2011 at 10:28 PM

I think what bothers me the most are conservatives who are so quick to settle for a watered down version of conservatism because we’re too gun shy to embrace it. We have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. Conservatism is on the ascendency and yet so many so called conservatives are running away from. They’re so used to losing and being out maneuvered they don’t know what to do when they have a winning hand. Teresa the propaganda the left would predictably push wouldn’t be effective if the Republicans shoved back hard with attitude and facts to back it. Instead they would rather settle for what they can get instead of demanding how things will be. 2010 was a mandate by the people to change the course in DC and they voted a large number of conservatives into office to do just that. It’s almost as if we still don’t believe we won. It’s time to start acting like we have the winning hand and stop folding at the first sign of a bluff. In my opinion we have made matters worse with this terrible deal. Anything Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Obama agree on can’t be good for the country.
      John Carey recently posted..Losing an A isn’t a +My Profile

• silverfiddle August 7, 2011 at 7:54 AM

We are not embracing “watered down conservatism.”

The. votes. are. not. there.

The democrats own the senate and will never pass the Ryan Plan. Period. If by some miracle they did, the president would veto it. Period.

That’s politics. You get what you can when you can. The progressives did not hijack the country in one robbery. They did it in tiny incremental bites over 100 year. Conservatives need to learn such patience (although I agree that we don’t have 100 years!)

I agree with you that conservatives in the public eye, especially politicians must be out front more, and be unapologetic. Libs have set the tone for too long.

I’m not trying to start a fight here, but all this talk from conservatives throwing up their hands and giving up or talking about a third party upsets me. We are winning. Look at how the DC debate has shifted. Look at polling. Conservatives outnumber libs two to one, and the moderates are running from Obama.

We have a real chance to beat Obama in 2012 and to take back the senate. Now is not the time for infighting.

The only way we lose is if we give them propaganda fodder to use against us. Now is not the time for carping. It’s time to dig the foxholes and hold the line.

This is not “watered down conservatism.” It is smart politics. You get the power, then you implement true conservatism.
        silverfiddle recently posted..Problem (not) SolvedMy Profile

• LD Jackson August 7, 2011 at 8:40 AM

I have refrained from entering this conversation since my first comment, but let me jump in here with my support of what silverfiddle is saying. There is a lot of wisdom in his words and no matter how much we all would like to turn our country around overnight, that isn’t the reality of how things are going to have to work.
          LD Jackson recently posted..The Makeup Of The Super CongressMy Profile

• silverfiddle August 7, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Thanks LD.
            And John, I love this blog. You guys have made it a home of common sense conservatism. Please don’t take my comments as an attack.
            silverfiddle recently posted..Problem (not) SolvedMy Profile

• John Carey August 7, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I have no problem with what you are saying silver. We are all on the same team but even teammates disagree. As long as we don’t lose sight of the goal line and that goal line is defeating Obama in 2012 and retaking the senate, then all is good. We need to have these discussions. Unlike the progressives we invite open and honest discussion and that’s a good thing. I’m not naive to believe this is something we can turn around over night. I know we have work to do. I’m just a bit more aggressive with my methods.
          John Carey recently posted..Teeing it up: A Round at the LINKsMy Profile

• […] Friday Ramblings: The truth can be a painful friend […]

• […] John Carey’s post Friday Ramblings: The Truth can be a painful friend , he expressed his discontent at both the debt deal and Speaker John Boehner. He also asserted that […]