SENTRY JOURNAL » economy, Uncategorized » You can play through an injury for only so long until it eventually sidelines you

A long time ago on a football field a far far away I played the game of football.  I played the game hard.  I played the game to win.  Growing up in Pennsylvania in the 1980s it was God, guns, and football.  From August to November high school football in Pennsylvania is life.  You’re either playing it or you’re supporting it.  That’s how it was back then.

Because football was such an important piece of every community there was a sense of pride when your team took the field.  You felt like you were part of something larger than yourself and you didn’t want to let the team down.  By doing so you were not only letting the team down, you were letting the community down and that was unacceptable.  I played for a high school that had a long tradition of winning.  We were the Lions and we had a chip on our shoulder.  As I said earlier I played hard and played to win.  I played through a number of injuries to include bruised ribs, concussions, and bad knees.  There were times when I was in so much pain I could barely pick myself off the ground after a play was over.  I had my bell rung so hard that I actually got up from the play and huddled up with the opposing team.  My disorientation was so bad I was actually was escorted off the field to our sidelines by the referee.  Two plays later I was back in the game.  That’s how it was.

I did a great deal of damage to my body during my high school football years; damage that has greatly affected the quality of my life today.  The body can only take so many hits before it adds up and eventually it sidelines you.  Today I walk with a noticeable limp because both of my knees are trashed.  I’m not sure football should get all the blame but it definitely was a contributing factor.  I sometimes wonder if there was anything I could have done to better protect myself.  Should I have used the tools before me like rib pads or knee wraps to help insulate me from the blows?  I now know I should have used the most important tool, my mind and played smarter.  My point is that no matter what it is in life, nothing can withstand a constant bombardment of hits against it.  Not even the greatest walls can withstand a steady amount of hits.  Eventually they will come down.  This is how I see it with our economy.

Our economy, the greatest economy in the world has taken some serious hits to it over the last two years.  These hits came in the form of bailouts, the Frank-Dodd financial reform bill, ObamaCare, QE1 and 2, out of control spending, crushing debt, massive regulations, an out of control EPA, and oh yeah CRUSHING DEBT!  There has been an intentional or unintentional massive assault on our free market system from all angles and I believe it’s finally buckling.  It is painfully obvious that it can no longer play through the injury inflicted on it by the forces of government.  It’s deciding to head for the sidelines and sit the rest of the game out and this is not a good thing.  So now we have both sides blaming the other for the injury.  We hear it’s the Tea Party’s fault.  The President owns the economy and it’s his fault.  The Republicans didn’t allow tax increases so it’s their fault.  Oh yeah I almost forgot that the left is still blaming George Bush for our economic woes and the downgrade so we can’t forget him.  Everyone appears to be in the blame mode.  But where should the blame really rest?  I submit the blame rest with us.

This is not Obama’s economy, it’s ours.  It’s not his country, it’s ours.  We own it folks and it’s going to take effort on our part to turn it around.  Perhaps if we paid more attention when the seeds of housing crisis were planted back in the 1990s things would be much different today economically speaking.  We are now seeing how destructive overregulation is to the business community.  Just last month the Obama administration proposed and implemented a massive amount of new regulations.  They continue to deliver blow after blow on our free market.  And the simple truth is we won’t find the answer we seek from the dysfunctional system in DC.  All we will end up with is extremely flawed solutions that will create even more problems.  We must continue to stay engaged on the national level; however we need to start turning our focus towards local politicians because local politics will play a major role in turning this thing around.  I have always believed this because our founders believed the same.  We can turn this thing around and unlike my body, the hits our economy has taken are recoverable it we tackle our spending an overregulation problem now.  Our economy can be robust again and be the envy of the world, but it’s up to us.

If we don’t start focusing and using the tools we have before us at the state level to help protect us from the hits coming from Washington, we could very well be the next players in this economic game to be sidelined.

Liberty forever, freedom for all.

Filed under: economy, Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Comments
  • silverfiddle August 9, 2011 at 7:39 AM

Nice analogy!

• Infidel de Manahatta August 9, 2011 at 9:08 AM

Can’t say I’m particularly optimistic about our chances of recovery. Regulations never go away peacefully.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..The 12 Steps of Democratic RecoveryMy Profile

• Bunkerville August 9, 2011 at 9:14 AM

I recall the days when the housing bubble was in full force. My home doubled in value. It was absurd. No documented mortgages were given out. We knew it was trouble. But there was nothing the folks could do. Everyone was suppose to own a home. The government said so. This was Fannie and Freddie, Dodd and Frank. The same folks who will now fight to the death to take away what the Goverment has given them.
    Bunkerville recently posted..United States holds majority of Gold ReservesMy Profile

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire August 9, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Well said, John. From the outside looking in, I know that most Americans are angry with government as usual. But I don’t sense that they are speaking out often enough nor loud enough. You wrote in a post several months ago that we needed a candidate that would get people excited and motivated to take to the streets and get out the votes. those words have stuck with me since the day I read them. I think we need that leader right now! It may sound silly but we need a cheerleader. You’d probably be surprised if I told you who I thought could best do this job.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Has The Time To Pay The Piper Arrived?My Profile

• John Carey August 10, 2011 at 1:01 AM

I believe we do need a candidate that is real. Someone that will indeed generate excitement on the right and drive the left absolutely insane. Someone who is willing to speak about the plain truth about the state of the state and provide a clear path to getting us back on our feet. We need this Jim. I’m interested to know who you believe could be this candidate.
      John Carey recently posted..Money With a Chance of MurderMy Profile

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire August 10, 2011 at 5:40 AM

Strangely enough, because I made numerous negative comments on her as a candidate for President, not because I thought she be a bad President, I just didn’t think she was the right choice. But after Sarah Palin’s speech in Madison, I began to pay more attention to her. She is dynamic and she stands on her priciples. She does motivate people and the left is scared to death of her.

• John Carey August 10, 2011 at 12:54 PM

I believe she has a huge role to play Jim. She can definitely energize the base, however I’m not sure she could garner enough independent votes because the left was so effect in demonizing her and making her out to be an unintelligent buffoon. They spent a great deal of time and money selling the notion to the public that she is unfit to be president and unfortunately many in the public have bought into the idea. This is what happens when you have an uninformed public…they can be easily manipulated and swayed. Governor Palin is a rock solid conservative no doubt and the left is crazy afraid of her but in my opinion the damage is done.
          John Carey recently posted..Money With a Chance of MurderMy Profile

• Trestin August 9, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Our leaders get away with the things they do because too many simply have either given up or don’t care.
    Trestin recently posted..What I wantMy Profile

• John Carey August 10, 2011 at 1:03 AM

I agree that many have thrown in the towel Trestin. I also believe there are a large number that are simply ignorant and don’t know any better. These are really the most dangerous because these will be the first to turn into the mob once it all comes crashing down around them.
      John Carey recently posted..Money With a Chance of MurderMy Profile

• Matt August 9, 2011 at 9:08 PM

That is a great analogy. I can’t add a thing to it.
    Matt recently posted..Former Thatcher Adviser Unleashes on ObamaMy Profile

• […] You can play through an injury for only so long until it eventually sidelines you This is not Obama’s economy, it’s ours. It’s not his country, it’s ours. We own it folks […]