SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Friday Ramblings: Are politicians nothing more than crooks and liars?

Friday Ramblings: Are politicians nothing more than crooks and liars?

Each night I call my mother and we talk about a variety of different subjects.  From the weather to politics, everything is on the table.  Yesterday the topic of our conversation was about the current state of affairs in Washington and where we both thought the country was heading.  My mother has very real concerns about the state of Medicare.  She has advanced renal cancer and treatment is not cheap.  She understands that Medicare needs to be reformed but she is having a hard time sifting through the rhetoric to determine which side is telling the truth.  She hears the Democrats say the Republicans want to throw grandma and grandpa off a cliff because they want to cut Medicare.  She hears Republicans say that Medicare is going to go bankrupt in the next few years if something isn’t done.  She said someone is not telling the truth.  Ding…ding…ding, we’ve got a winner.  My mother is correct; someone isn’t telling the truth in this instance.

I decide to play a little word association game with her.  I asked her to tell me the first thing that comes to mind when I say politician.  Immediately she replied with crooks and liars.  She gave the response that probably eight out of ten people would give if asked the same question.  She had no idea that the Democrats already pushed grandma and grandpa off the cliff when they cut $500 billion from Medicare in ObamaCare.  She asked my why the Democrats were saying this.  I replied because they’re politicians and as you said politicians they’re nothing but crooks and liars.

Now some of you might say that not all politicians are crooks and liars and you would be correct. However there are many politicians who have absolutely no problem lying if it means scoring political points or scaring the crap out of people to advance their agenda.  We’ve heard a flurry of lies from the Democrat side of the aisle these past four months.  America is going to default if we don’t raise the debt ceiling…LIE.  Paul Ryan’s budget pushes grandma and grandpa over the cliff…LIE.  It doesn’t touch Medicare for anyone over 55.  Social Security checks might not being mailed out if the debt ceiling isn’t raised…LIE.  Law requires these checks to be mailed out.  So clearly the left has no problem lying if it advances their agenda.  I’m sure the left can and will say the same about the right, starting with the Iraq war.  The truth is both sides tell their constituents the things they want to hear and they’re not always truthful.  They will tell you just about anything if it means winning your vote.  Perhaps this is why nothing gets done in Washington.  Because when they get to Washington the truth becomes an evasive thing.

The second question, are politicians crooks?  Let me ask you this question.  If you had an uncle or a cousin that said to you that I’m going to take a portion of your paycheck without your permission and invest it into a program that guarantees a minimal return in your retirement years and you find out they know that this money is not going to be set aside for you, instead it’s going to pay for investment returns coming due would you approve?  I hope not because this is called a ponzi scheme and people in the private sector go to jail for it.  They are labeled as crooks.  Now you tell me what the difference is between what I described above and social security.  Not much. The only difference is the social security ponzi scheme legal.  So I guess we can say that they are crooks in regards to this.  I’m sure we can find many more examples but this seems to work to get my point across.

The reason things never change in Washington is because we continue to reelect these crooks and liars and send them to Washington.  And what’s really sad is deep down we know they’re lying to us and stealing from us and yet we continue to send them back.  Why?  I ask myself this question again and again and the only answer I can come up with is deep down many people are afraid of changing the status quo.  Changing the status quo is a scary thing.  Injecting integrity into a system to set things right is way too radical for DC these days.  Even though we know these politicians steal from us and lie to us, the notion of sending a person with integrity to DC is hard to grasp.  I believe many people would rather live in ignorance because that’s the easy path.

Think about this when you’re listening to the candidates desiring your vote in 2012.  Which candidates are telling you the truth and which are telling you what you want to hear?

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • Steve Dennis August 12, 2011 at 7:04 AM

Unfortunately this is the state of politics in America. Another reason we keep sending these same people back is because they are well funded and can basically spend enough money to get re-elected while the lesser known candidate has to struggle just to get heard.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Gunrunner: At least two felons were allowed to buy firearms under Fast and FuriousMy Profile

• John Carey August 12, 2011 at 9:01 AM

I agree with that Steve. It’s tough to unseat a well established politician. Look at Harry Reid. I mean here’s a guy that is not that well liked in Nevada and was losing in the polls big time. Then within a few months the polls tightened and he eventually won with a comfortable cushion. Very hard to unseat an incumbent.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings: Are politicians nothing more than crooks and liars?My Profile

• RandyG August 12, 2011 at 7:15 AM

Short answer to your title question…Yes.
    RandyG recently posted..Jay ‘The Carnival Barker’ CarneyMy Profile

• silverfiddle August 12, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Yes it is fear of changing the status quo. Also, it’s all so big, who can understand it?
    silverfiddle recently posted..Riot Round-UpMy Profile

• John Carey August 12, 2011 at 11:04 AM

That’s what I found with my mother silver. She often says what can we really do? We’re just small fish in a giant ocean. There is a reason that politicians craft 2,000 page bill. It overwhelms and confuses the average voter and it allows them to hid little nuggets in it. Bills should be to the point and easily understood. This in my opinion is a practice in deception when they write these lengthy bill. My mother had no idea the Democrats cut $500 billion from Medicare. This after we in the blogging community got this information out…she still had no idea. How many others out there simply have no clue.

• Infidel de Manahatta August 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM

They are afraid of changing the status quo. It’s kind of like choosing between the Devil you know and the Devil you don’t know.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..Rise of the Apes Forces Businesses to AdjustMy Profile

• theCL August 12, 2011 at 3:26 PM

fear of changing the status quo

I think most people, quite understandably, don’t pay that much attention. Often I wish I was one of them! It’s those of us who do who most fear change. At least that’s how I see it.

Follow history back 100 years. Election after election, the political right’s critique of government in general softens each and every election. The right went from “Our Enemy, the State,” to merely “Sock it to the Democrats.”

Think about it, from global crusades to “spread democracy,” to the income tax, to the Fed, to fiat money, to welfare, federalized education, abortion, prescription drugs … The left made it the status quo and the right fights to preserve the status quo. Are we afraid of the freedom our grandparents enjoyed? Do we find as much comfort in our shackles as the left?

Me no understand.
    theCL recently posted..Economics, Politics, News (08/12/11)My Profile

• John Carey August 12, 2011 at 6:59 PM

You are correct CL the Democrats have pulled the conversation to the left and the Republicans have followed to argue why the conversation was pulled so far to the left. They haven’t bothered to try to pull it back to the right, they just settle with the position the left has moved it to. Sometimes I wonder if this done for a purpose. It is clear that both parties support big government solutions, which means liberty takes a back seat. You wonder if we are afraid of the freedoms and liberties our grandparents enjoyed? The answer is we don’t know anything different than the soft tyranny we now live under and we’re fighting to keep it from becoming a harder tyranny and this is a sad sad place to be.

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire August 12, 2011 at 4:30 PM

My take is that there are far too few people politically involved. the majority of people don’t believe they can make a difference. If you can’t fight city hall, how can you hope to fight Washington? They vote for the candidate that seems to support some of the things that they do and then they hope for the best. Very sad. Very frustrating.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Want To Stop The Blame Game? First We Must Stop The StupidMy Profile

• John Carey August 13, 2011 at 12:32 AM

It is very sad Jim. Feeling helpless is such a weight to carry. Many out there feel very helpless and don’t know what they can do that will make a difference. They see corrupt politicians on both the local and national level and they feel like what’s the point. So they disengage. This disengagement is how we got here in the first place.

• proof August 12, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Are politicians nothing more than crooks and liars? You forgot “sex addicts”.
    proof recently posted..Friday Night BabeMy Profile

• Aewl August 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM

I have some of the same conversations with my MIL. Unfortunately, she has voted democrat all her life and gets most of her news from left-wing news outlets. Lately, she is slowly starting to question the liberal line. She regrets voting for obama last election and won’t do it again. One day, she may come around and actually vote republican.
    Aewl recently posted..Union Thuggery In PA.My Profile

• John Carey August 13, 2011 at 12:38 AM

My feeling is there are a large number of Democrats out there who are willing to embrace the conservative ideology if presented in a manner that is plain and simple to understand. There comes a point when you can no longer dismiss what you see and liberals have been seeing how destructive progressive policies have been on our economy. They feel it in their purse or wallet and you can’t hide that.

• Jack Camwell August 13, 2011 at 8:22 AM

I guess I’m kind of late to the dance on this one, but great article John. We have to keep in mind, however, that politicians,throughout history and every culture, have always been a bit crooked. They have to be. If they’re to accomplish what their constituents want and in turn get reelected, then they have to be willing to sell little pieces of themselves. Unless of course you’re lucky like Ron Paul, and your district falls compeltely in line with your ideological views.

But even then, politics is not about standing firm on every single issue. So long as you’re not doing anything that actually destroys liberty, or causes real harm to others, then you’ve got to be able to sacrifice some principles to keep the ball rolling.
    Jack Camwell recently posted..A Movie Everyone Should See: "Network"My Profile

• John Carey August 13, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I understand that politicians will be politicians and they will compromise their principles to a point to help their constituents, however my point is that we have reached a level of corruption with our politicians that we have not seen in some time. They are passing and signing into laws bills that do infringe upon our liberties. And they’re doing it without even reading them. This is a very scary thing. I have serious concerns Jack. Thanks for the comment.

• Trestin August 13, 2011 at 7:24 PM

Great one, John! Social Security is something that has always gotten under skin. It is a terrible program that will eventually leave millions destitute.
    Trestin recently posted..Monsanto The New Evil EmpireMy Profile

• Teresa August 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

Many people believe that one person can’t make a difference but if a number of individual persons decide to stand for liberty and the constitution together they can make a difference. We do need to shift this country to the right and explain conservatism to the average voter in an easily understandable way. We need to breakthrough the misinformation that the MSM feeds the average non-political voter. It shocks me to think that these same people who want choice and privacy in their lives would also want or allow the government to make important decisions for them or control much of their lives. You would think that these people wouldn’t want the government to have any or much control over their lives.
    Teresa recently posted..Felonious Munk’s wild anti-Obama rant on government debt/debt ceiling *profanity alert*My Profile

• John Carey August 13, 2011 at 11:56 PM

They know nothing different Teresa. Think about it, we actually abandoned capitalism during the time of FDR. We have an entire generation that knows nothing but government interference. You would have to go back to the generation of the 1920s to know what a free market actually is. This generation has been robbed of know what a free market system actually is. To ask them to embrace liberty and freedom and be responsible for their own actions without government intervention is breaking from the status quo and is very scary for many.

• [...] Friday Ramblings: Are politicians nothing more than crooks and liars? [...]