SENTRY JOURNAL » Conservatism » 2012 is when conservatives MUST nominate a conservative

2012 is when conservatives MUST nominate a conservative

It has taken me a few days to put this post together because I wanted to make sure there was a way I could clearly convey my thoughts without alienating the entire conservative community.  You see I’m beginning to question if many conservatives want unconditional liberty with limited government or if they want conditional liberty with government playing a stronger central role in our lives.  I watched the debate the other night and it is now becoming abundantly clear that there is movement afoot to steer conservatives in the direction to accept either Mitt Romney or Rick Perry as their nominee to run against Obama.  The problem is neither candidate is really a solid conservative.  These are the same establishment type Republicans we have all expressed ire towards.  They will do little to change the status quo in Washington.  Our debt will increase.  The economy will continue grow at a snail’s pace, and in the end nothing will change if one of these two candidates wins the nomination for the Republican Party, even if they beat Obama.  The reason nothing will change is because we will need a rock solid conservative to dismantle all the little programs we’re not talking about that Obama is implementing.  We need someone who is principled with a mile of integrity.  You see as polished as Mitt Romney and Rick Perry appear on the surface, they don’t have the strong conservative foundation within them that will be needed to scale back or dare I say dismantle Leviathan.  It’s going to be a tough task to do and quite frankly neither Mitt Romney nor Rick Perry is up to the task at hand.  They will both compromise on key issues when they should stand firm.

The other day when I was driving home from work I was listening to Mark Levin and he said something that really got me thinking.  There was an almost desperate frustration in his tone.  He was talking about how the establishment and the MSM were steering us towards either Rick Perry or Mitt Romney while dismissing the other candidates.  He even said they we can’t even rely on Fox News to do the right thing and allow the process to unfold.   He went on to say that we MUST have a conservative nominee and that even though Ronald Reagan wasn’t perfect he was “solid as hell.”  As I continued to listen his tone changed.  There was a seriousness and clarity in his voice as he began to speak about our current state.

The following is an excerpt from that segment.

“The country…folks, the country is collapsing.  I’m not trying to be controversial; I’ve been explaining this for awhile now…the country is collapsing.   We have an absolutely irresponsible man as President who is unconscionable in what he is doing to this country as is his party.  The Democrat Party is now controlled by the radical left like the green parties of Europe.  That’s what we have here.  It’s not a moderate party.  It’s not a party that respects the traditions and institutions of this country.  It is set on burning down this society and rebuilding it in some image that it can’t even define for us.  So we’re going through the burning down part.  Obviously not literally but you get my point.  And the misery is awful, you can see it.  And it’s going to get worse.  Because the things that have to be done, the things that we know must be done are not going to be done as long as Obama is President, Harry Reid is the majority leader in the Senate, we don’t have 60 solid Republicans in the Senate and frankly, alright are you ready Mr. Producer here’s the next one…as long as John Boehner is Speaker of the House.   The things that need to be done are not going to get done! “

His words were sobering and 100 percent accurate.  This is what we’re facing.  We’re facing a group of radical leftists dressed up as Democrats pretending to be something they are not and hell-bent on burning down the traditions and institutions that have made America great.  It’s time for conservatives to wake up and see this with eyes wide open.  It’s time for Conservatives to stop worrying about who looks the most Presidential.   It’s time for conservatives to stop losing sleep over which candidate will appeal to independents.  It’s time for conservatives to embrace conservatism and nominate a conservative candidate.  This shouldn’t be too hard because Obama has already beaten himself with his failed economic policies, ObamaCare, the scandals that surround his administration (which I predict will get worse).  He has nothing to stand on and he will not win in 2012.  So if this is the current environment, why is it so damn hard for conservatives to embrace and nominate a conservative?  Mark Levin said, it’s going to take a rock solid conservative to undo everything Obama has implemented.  And here’s a newsflash folks…Mitt Romney and Rick Perry are not rock solid conservatives.  One created a massive state healthcare program that was the template for ObamaCare, while the other signed into law his state’s own version of the Dream Act.  Now if someone can please tell me which one of these programs promotes sound conservative principles of smaller government and individual choice I will gladly back that candidate.  The truth is both Romney and Perry are conservatives of the establishment type.  The sooner we come to terms with this, the sooner we will get to work nominating a true conservative.  I’m not wasting my time with either of these candidates anymore.

I’m tired of the games we’re playing and I’m tired the media telling us who we should nominate.  We’re facing serious problems that if not addressed could have profound consequences for our country.  It’s time to stop worrying who is the most likable candidate and get to the business of nominating the most conservative candidate.  Can we or our country afford anything less?

Liberty forever, freedom for all.

Filed under: Conservatism · Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • LD Jackson September 24, 2011 at 7:49 AM

I would have no quarrel with you about Mitt Romney, as I have no love for the man. I find it very difficult to trust him. As for Rick Perry, I know he isn’t perfect, but I happen to like him. He hasn’t done well in the debates, to be sure. Is he a rock solid conservative? Probably not, but can you tell me a candidate who is?

Most certainly, we do not need to nominate another candidate who would continue the status quo. It would be foolhardy to do so. However, can we not find something on which to disagree with all the candidates? Sure we can, and I think we make a mistake if we think we are going to find the “perfect” candidate.

That doesn’t mean that I am ready to roll over and vote for any old dog claiming to be a conservative, but neither am I ready to disqualify a candidate, just because I do not agree with them 100%.
    LD Jackson recently posted..Thoughts On The GOP Fox News/Google DebateMy Profile

• John Carey September 24, 2011 at 8:42 AM

All I’m saying Larry is that both men have signed two very non-conservative pieces of legislation into law in their states. I’m not saying that we’re going to agree on every issue, but what I am saying is that RomneyCare and the Dream Act on a state level are as about as far from the conservative base as you can get. That’s not a little disagreement on the issues…that a grand canyon size departure from conservative principles. And any candidate who would support these types of legislation are not even close to what we need as conservatives. I know I’m not going to agree on all the issues with a certain candidate, but I at least want to agree on the basics of conservatism and Romney and Perry can’t even check that block. Thanks for the comments my friend.
      John Carey recently posted..2012 is when conservatives MUST nominate a conservativeMy Profile

• LD Jackson September 24, 2011 at 8:49 AM

In defense of Perry and the Texas DREAM Act, it needs to be noted that the Texas legislation isn’t even close to being the same as the national DREAM Act that was defeated in Congress.

• John Carey September 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM

I agree Larry, these two laws are not a clone of what has been floated by our elected officials; however the foundation is very much the same. As for me it’s the primary season and this is what this time is for…too separate the pretenders from the real deals. In the end I will support who goes up against Obama even if it is Romney or Perry…because I’m not insane. I know this country cannot take another four years of Obama.

• Silverfiddle September 25, 2011 at 10:23 AM

Perry turned me off when he said if I didn’t support his dream act I didn’t have a heart. That’s a typical emotion-driven liberal talking point. I didn’t appreciate him aiming it at me and millions of other God-fearing patriotic Americans who simply believe our immigration laws should be enforced.
          Silverfiddle recently posted..Clean Energy is DirtyMy Profile

• Steve Dennis September 24, 2011 at 10:31 AM

I agree with you 100% John; the media is steering us toward Romney and Perry just as they did with McCain because the liberals in the media feel as if either of these two would be more acceptable than a true conservative in the event Obama loses and I for one am not falling for it. I will not vote for either man and am still looking at the “second tier” candidates.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Chris Christie is reconsidering his decision not to run for presidentMy Profile

• John Carey September 24, 2011 at 3:06 PM

I know. Even for the debate the other night they had this stupid rule that if you mention another candidate’s name that candidate has an opportunity to respond. Well you can already see where this is going. Let’s say the two leading candidates reached some agreement before the debate to mention each others name to monopolize the event. Well that’s exactly what happened and Fox set it up. So for the majority of the debate we heard Romney and Perry opinions for 11 to 15 minutes because it was set up that way, while the other candidates got their 3 to 5 minute token time. It was absolutely insulting. I’m tired of these games Steve. We deserve better.

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire September 24, 2011 at 11:33 AM

You know that I agree with you, John. I’ve been criticized by fellow conservatives for saying the same thing. I don’t always agree with Levin, but in this case I do. Our country is being destroyed from within and it is facing financial collapse. I also agree with Levin on John Boehner. When I look at the current crop of candidates, I am very disappointed. Only Ron Paul seems to recognize just how serious America’s problems are. Unfortunately, because of his foreign policy stances, I don’t think Paul is electable. However, if no one else enters the race that I see understands our problems, I will be supporting Paul in the primaries.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Guest Saturday with A Conservative TeacherMy Profile

• John Carey September 24, 2011 at 3:16 PM

I am in total agreement with you Jim. The candidate I’m leaning towards is Ron Paul. Our foreign policy has been a disaster for the last 20 years and our standing in the world continues to decline. All the other candidates want to stay the course while Paul gets chastised for wanting trying something the founders preached. Paul is really the only one talking about the big picture and being proactive in tackling our issue. The rest of the candidates are reactive.

• Silverfiddle September 25, 2011 at 10:20 AM

No it’s not, and here’s why. There are not enough self-identified conservatives in this nation. Elections are won and lost in the middle.

This does not mean we compromise our values and principles. What it means is we pick someone who knows how to accurately and uncompromisingly communicate our values and principles in a way that attracts those in the middle. Reagan of course is the gold standard. He was a staunch conservative but he knew how to get his message across, and it resonated even with working class democrats, despite liberals in the press doing their damnedest to make him into a hateful warmonger.

I share your misgivings about both Romney and Perry, but if either gets the nomination, they get my vote. I guess I’m more of a “don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good” kinda person.

You’ve written a sincere and well thought out post, and I do not disagree with the points you make. Now is the time to be conservative. If not now, when? This may be the last chance.

I do believe a president Romney or Perry could stand up for that change under the right circumstances. They are politicians and they are malleable. With the tea party watchdogging them and some key congressional insurrectionists pushing them, they will go along, and especially Romney could put a good, responsible adult face on it.

Again, I don’t say this to be argumentative, I think you’ve written a great article.
    Silverfiddle recently posted..Clean Energy is DirtyMy Profile

• John Carey September 25, 2011 at 11:07 PM

Don’t get me wrong Silver I do understand the importance of independents; however I also know that conservatism sells when conveyed in a manner that relates to the people. Ronald Reagan was a rock solid conservative and he didn’t hide the fact that he thought government was the problem. He was confident because he knew that conservatism was what was going to pull the nation out of the pit of despair that Carter left her in. Reagan was labeled by the establishment as unelectable because of his strong conservative position on the issues. And yet he captured a large number of Democrats (Reagan Democrats) during the national election. All I’m saying is conservatism can win on a national level and we don’t need a moderate to capture the middle. The middle will buy into it if we have a solid conservative who can sell it. My point in the article is how can you sell an idea if you have already bought and promoted the other idea (RomneyCare and Texas Dream Act lite). That’s the equivalent of me saying to you that GM cars are the best cars on the road from the window of my Ford. You’re not really going to buy what I’m saying. So it is with Romney and Perry…I’m not buying what their trying to sell.

As I said though if either wins the nomination I will support them. Obama be a on term President and I am united with my fellow conservatives in doing my part to make this happen. I just would rather do it with a real conservative and than one who is conservative lite. Thank you for the comment my friend.
      John Carey recently posted..Teeing it up: A Round at the LINKsMy Profile

• republican mother September 26, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Have you guys read about the Blue Republican phenomenon? This is a group of anti-war liberals changing their party registration to vote for Ron Paul. Not sure how big this group is, or what it’s impact will be, but it looks like Ron Paul may be able to use his coalition powers to get together a group of former “Reagan democrats” to bridge the gap
      republican mother recently posted..Reagan’s Budget Director Speaks OutMy Profile

• John Galt September 25, 2011 at 12:42 PM

We are using dangerous and extreme generalities to dub Rick Perry’s College tuition program towards none legal residents as a “Dream Act”. It most definitely is not.

We might lose our breath discussing states tuition programs for illegal’s until we are blue in the face, and none of it will make any difference towards the election or even towards the basic fundamentals of a future immigration policy – which is the path to citizenship for those 6-8 million of resident illegal’s and the security of our border.

Perry Texas tuition policy is just that, a tuition policy, and it has nothing to do with a path to citizenship, which the ‘Senate Dream Act” bill most definitely does. Not it could. States do not set or impose citizenship law. It is the sole realm of the Federal government.

That is the basic but very important fundamental difference. Now, lets talk about what Perry’s policies to create jobs are, shall we?
    John Galt recently posted..The Danger of the Republican Debates.My Profile

• Silverfiddle September 25, 2011 at 2:25 PM

I think LD and John’s exchange earlier in the thread cleared that up.

A “dangerous and extreme generality” is Perry calling all of us who disagree with him “heartless.” As I said earlier, that’s an emotion-driven liberal talking point.

Perry can talk about job creation all day long, but he won’t get my vote by insulting me.
      Silverfiddle recently posted..Clean Energy is DirtyMy Profile

• John Carey September 25, 2011 at 11:12 PM

John my opinion on this matter differs from yours and that’s ok. I simply want the most conservative candidate to represent us and I do not believe that neither Romney or Perry are those candidates. I’m not saying the Texas Dream Act is identical to the one our congressional leaders wanted to pass, but what I am saying is the foundation is very similar. Please read my response to Silver as to why I believe as I do. Thank you for the comment. They are always welcome here.
      John Carey recently posted..Teeing it up: A Round at the LINKsMy Profile

• John Galt September 26, 2011 at 10:17 AM

John C., I agree with you on the basics and believe in the Reagan rule, “choose the most conservative candidate that can get elected”.

I just don’t think is necessary to give free ammunition to the opposition or shoot ourselves on the foot.
        John Galt recently posted..The Danger of the Republican Debates.My Profile

• […] Original Post: The Sentry Journal […]

• Martin September 26, 2011 at 9:18 AM

I’m not naive enough to think that there is a perfect candidate out there. However, I agree that both Romney and Perry are establishment (and certainly Rino in Romney’s case) Republicans. Someone with solid conservative foundations is the only hope this country has.

I think we are beyond “anybody but Obama.” He has done too much damage. I’m leaning in the same direction as Mr. L.D. Jackson, Santorum seems to be the best of the lot.
    Martin recently posted..Signing Their Rights Away By Denise Kurnan & Joseph D’AgneseMy Profile

• John Galt September 27, 2011 at 8:23 AM

We, at Robbing America Chronicle, do not want to pretend that the editorial board of the Wall Street Journal read our “The Danger of the Republican Debates” piece before they issue their editorial of today, “Texas’s Immigration Choices”, but we are nevertheless gratified that their position reflects the long standing arguments that we have endorsed.

They end up their piece with, “Mr. Perry’s immigration positions reflect a Texas political consensus that makes far more sense than his opponents’ demagoguery”.
    demagoguery”.