SENTRY JOURNAL » Free Market » Judge Napolitano: Do we REALLY have a free market in America?

Judge Napolitano: Do we REALLY have a free market in America?

Do we really have a free market in America or is the free market dead?  This is a question that doesn’t seem so outlandish anymore.  I was telling a friend the other day how different the 1980s felt as compared to today in terms of opportunity.  What I was feeling in the 80s was a market that was less regulated than the one we have today.  You could feel the opportunity in the air.  Back then the landscape of the market permitted people like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs too take an idea and turn it into something great.  Could they do the same today?  My guess is no.  Below is a clip of my favorite judge asking the question, “Do we really have a free market in America anymore?”  Check it out.

YouTube Preview Image

So based on the judge’s analysis and your own personal experience in today’s economic environment, do we really have a free market anymore?  I definitely have my doubts.

Filed under: Free Market · Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • Steve Dennis September 28, 2011 at 5:07 AM

This is a great analysis and no we don’t really have a free market any more. I think sometimes we (I know I do) mix up the terms “free market” and “capitalism” and the judge did a great job od explaining the difference.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..DHS released an admitted terrorist who entered the country illegally, and they don’t know where he isMy Profile

• Silverfiddle September 28, 2011 at 6:37 AM

The Judge is right, as usual. Imagine if there were a free market for health care?

Now, imagine if government controlled phones and computers the way they did health care. Every call would cost a fortune, cell phones (if they even existed in such a stilted market) would be the size of cinderblocks, and we’d still have one rotary phone per house.

Indeed, look at what happened to the home phone market when government broke up Ma Bell. Technology took off and the cost of calling, even overseas, plummeted.
    Silverfiddle recently posted..Multi-FailureMy Profile

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire September 28, 2011 at 11:32 AM

Government through regulation and more recently by means of cronyism have all but destroyed the free markets. I still object to the term crony “capitalism” but I’ve given up the fight. When a capitalist decides to get in bed with government for a competitive advantage, he stops being a capitalist and becomes a statist. The elites have a new concept that receives little or no media coverage. It is called the Public-Private Partnership, which is just another means of consolidating control over all of society.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Regulation Nation and JobsMy Profile

• John Carey September 28, 2011 at 10:40 PM

I agree Jim. Perhaps the term crony capitalism is not the correct one. I agree that once a company gets in bed with the government to gain a competitive advantage of their competitor, then cease to be capitalist and become statist.
      John Carey recently posted..Judge Napolitano: Do we REALLY have a free market in America?My Profile

• republicanmother October 1, 2011 at 7:22 AM

I, too, dislike the term “crony capitalism” as it sends a picture of industrial titans and government officials just golfing together and scratching backs. The reality is much more stark, as real people pay the costs. Those “capitalists” who funded the Bolsheviks/Communists and gave Hitler his war money are the true statists of the world.
        republicanmother recently posted..Wall Street and the Bolshevik Revolution: Chapter 8My Profile

• Bunkerville September 28, 2011 at 12:50 PM

It is all well and good, however we are in world economy now with other countries having State supported industries. This tilts the so called free makets, and makes it often impossible to compete as would otherwise be possible.Unless we all have the same standard of living, I am unsure one can exist as suggested.
    Bunkerville recently posted..Come on down and get yourself some Obama money!My Profile

• John Carey September 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM

I’m going to disagree with you on this one. State sponsored industries are some of the most inefficient monsters out there. Privately run corporations in an environment that promotes free market principles are more responsive to customer needs and way more efficient than any state sponsored company could ever think of being. Government cannot do it better than the private sector. The only thing the government does well is the military. All other entities from Fannie Mae to the post office are inefficient, bankrupt entities.