SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » When will traditional Democrats wake up and realize their party has changed?

When will traditional Democrats wake up and realize their party has changed?

Lately I’ve been thinking a great deal about the Democratic Party and its dramatic shift to the left in recent years.   Most of us have witnessed this extreme lurch to the left and find ourselves asking how did we go from fighting socialism and communism to one of our major political parties embracing many of tenets of these ideologies in some aspect?  How did we go from rewarding success based on individual effort to taking the wealth from the successful and redistributing it?  The answer is really not that complex.  The reason for this dramatic shift is due to the rise of the progressive left in the last 20 years.  The rise has led to a takeover by them of the Democratic Party.

The progressive policies support a nanny state model for America.  This is a model that regulates every aspect of our lives and in the early 20th century this ideology was soundly rejected by the American people.  In fact the rejection was so profound; the label progressive became a dirty word in the political landscape.  Progressives were driven underground where they patiently waited for their day to come again.   Well their day came and in 2006 when they were put back in power by the people and for many it signaled an acceptance by the people of their progressive policies.  The nation became more and more polarized as the rift between conservatives and liberals/progressives grew.  This divide is so deep that we do not see compromise as an option anymore.  For many conservatives compromising with this radical faction of the left means compromising with an ideology that contradicts everything America is about.  An example of this mindset was displayed yesterday morning on Fox and Friends.  Hank Williams Jr. was being interviewed and stated that he viewed Obama and Biden as the enemy.  He further went on to say that any compromise with these people was a bad thing.  His comments cost him his job with ESPN and his opening song was removed from Monday Night Football.  This is how divided we have become.  We have indeed fundamentally transformed into a nation where two separate Americas exist; the conservative right and the progressive left.  As for many traditional Democrats who still believe this is the Democratic Party of the grandparents they are living with their heads buried in the sand blindly voting for any candidate who has a (D) next to their name.  They’re so blinded by party name they don’t even realize their party has dramatically changed.

One person who did notice this change was country music star Toby Keith.  In 2008 Mr. Keith a lifelong Democrat decided to leave the party because he felt it no longer represented his values or views.  Now if you know anything about Toby Keith, he is a solid supporter of the military and he strongly believes in American exceptionalism.  This is who Toby Keith is, and something inside of him told him his party no longer represented these values or views.  Now if Toby Keith can see the light how many other traditional Democrats will see the light in the near future?  I believe many are starting to come to terms with the notion that this is NOT the Democratic Party of their grandparents.  And as the progressives continue to reveal themselves for who they are, the Democratic Party will slowly began to dissolve.  Looking in my crystal ball this is what I see for the Democratic Party.  They will become irrelevant.  Let me know what you think.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , ,

Comments
  • Steve Dennis October 4, 2011 at 5:39 AM

There is no doubt that the left is no longer the party of the working class as they once were and I hope that people are starting to realize this, and I think they are. We are reaching a point in this country where a collapse is going to happen if we don’t get entitlements under control and I think moderate Democrats even see this now, but it is going to take a long time to turn things around. We did see some conservative Blue Dog Democrats win elections and hopefully this is a sign of things to come.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Barack Obama marched with the New Black Panthers in 2007My Profile

• LD Jackson October 4, 2011 at 6:24 AM

I can personally attest that I know several people in our county that vote Democrat, no matter what the election. Those people never pay attention to the issues and the only thing they care about is if the candidate is a member of the Democratic Party. If they are, they get their vote. It doesn’t matter how they stand on the issues.

Admittedly, the worst Democrat in Oklahoma is arguably more conservative than some Republicans in Washington, but I think you get the idea.
    LD Jackson recently posted..Occupy Wall StreetMy Profile

• silverfiddle October 4, 2011 at 7:01 AM

As the hard left becomes more vociferous and more openly socialist (yes, it used to be a slur, but many are now wearing it as a badge of honor), it will hopefully chase the good people to our side.

But the GOP needs to adjust as well. It can’t just be a more conservative form of we-say-so statism. The GOP needs to position itself as the personal liberty party, and that means loosening up and becoming more libertarian. Some conservative Christians may get nervous at that prospect, but go read Reason magazine, Mises, or CATO, and you will see that unlike the left, libertarians do not denigrate believers. They place our speech and our right to worship exactly on par with every other natural right.
    silverfiddle recently posted..Fractured BankingMy Profile

• republicanmother October 4, 2011 at 7:59 AM

As a very conservative Christian, I find libertarianism more compatible with my views. I think Jesus would have been a libertarian. He did not go around handing down rules, but espoused principles. I am discovering that the “religious right” is not what I thought it was and is not speaking for me.
      republicanmother recently posted..John Quincy Adams Warned UsMy Profile

• John Carey October 4, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I agree Silver. The Republicans need to adjust their own position a bit. I agree that it benefits us the more the far left loons get press time. I say wall to wall coverage of occupy Wall Street. It’s time to have to conversation about liberty or tyranny. This is the best way to draw them out. Most of the time they run from this debate.
      John Carey recently posted..When will traditional Democrats wake up and realize their party has changed?My Profile

• republicanmother October 4, 2011 at 8:05 AM

I personally politically group people as collectivists vs. free men. A collectivist can be in either the d or r party. For instance, the Rockefellers have traditionally donated to the Rs, but also funded Planned Parenthood and played a big part in opening up China – thanks a lot! When you go back to the early era of progressives, you find Ds like William Jenning Bryant speaking out against the collectivists and the Fed. Just as Carrol Quigley, the collectivists official historian said, they set it up so that you can “throw the bums out” and never change a daggum thing. Thus statism has moved forward with each election for the past 100 years.
    republicanmother recently posted..John Quincy Adams Warned UsMy Profile

• John Carey October 4, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I absolutely agree with everything you are saying. I still believe there are more who desire to be free but this number is shifting over time because progressives have had a hold on our public schools and institutions of higher education. They are conditioning a generation to accept collectivism and reject individualism.

• Bunkerville October 4, 2011 at 8:17 AM

It is hard to believe that there will ever be a middle for the Dems. Government is now for those who take, and those who would like to make a decent living.
    Bunkerville recently posted..Frances Fox Piven breeches- not done with us yetMy Profile

• Infidel de Manahatta October 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM

I wonder what John Kennedy or Harry Truman would think of the Democratic party today? Probably WTF??
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..On the Front Lines With Occupy Wall StreetMy Profile

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire October 4, 2011 at 10:42 AM

The only counter balance to the far left is the far right. There is no room for centrist in the “New” Republican Party.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Our Fiat Monetary Systems Are Not Worth SavingMy Profile

• M LaChance October 4, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I’ve wondered about this too. I can’t even talk to my sisters anymore because there are so many subjects that are off limits with them. One of them told me, “you’re not going to change my mind”, when I was talking to her about the best way to create jobs. I don’t understand why she didn’t just tell me what SHE believed was the best way to do it. Why end the conversation, instead? It’s as if they have been trained to cover their ears and close their eyes and I don’t recognize them anymore.

I liken it to the movie, “Invasion of the Body Snatchers”. If you say something politically incorrect, they point and screech like the informants who no longer have minds of their own. This alerts the aliens so that they know who to go after next.

I’m hoping democrats wake up, not only because our country needs them to; but because I miss my sisters.
    M LaChance recently posted..Herman Cain, Winning Hearts & MindsMy Profile

• John Carey October 4, 2011 at 10:06 PM

You said something I should have said in my post..we do need these moderate Democrats to help fix what is so broken. Have faith, reality sometimes has a way of smacking some sense into people. The reality will be more economic pain. People will see that it is the policies of the progressive left that are causing these problems and I believe just like in the 1920s Americans will soundly reject them. I have added your site to our blogroll. Thanks for stopping by.

• M LaChance October 5, 2011 at 6:08 AM

Thanks for adding me. I added Sentry Journal too.

I think that we do need the moderate Democrats to help fix this and I hope you’re right that the economic pain will wake them up.
        M LaChance recently posted..Herman Cain, Winning Hearts & MindsMy Profile