SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Friday Ramblings: I’m not the same conservative I was five years ago

Friday Ramblings: I’m not the same conservative I was five years ago

I’m not real sure the exact date of the change, but one thing is very different about me today as compared to five years ago; I’m not the same conservative I was back then.  Five years ago I supported acts, agencies, military endeavors, and spending I felt strengthened America’s standing in the world and promoted our form of representative style of government.  I didn’t care what method was used or how the task was complete. I was a staunch supporter of the actions of the Bush administration no matter what liberties were sacrificed to ensure the continued advancement of the American model and our way of life.  These are the ideals I believed were representative of the conservative view point or at least my understanding conservatism and I willingly fell in line behind them.  It wasn’t that I was a mindless tool; I just didn’t have the necessary tools to understand the difference between a form of conservatism that supported the above ideas and the one I embrace today.  It wasn’t until towards the end of the Bush administration when I started to question my own position on the issues.

It was the out of control spending of the Bush administration that really started me down the path towards reviewing my positions on a number of conservative issues; however it was his comments in Dec 2008 that really opened my eyes as to what I had supported for the previous 8 years.  It was then when an outgoing President Bush stated in an interview with CNN the following, “I’ve abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market system.” He further went on to say, that the reason he abandoned free-market principles was to make sure the economy didn’t collapse.  This in my mind was like saying that 1+1= 3, it just wasn’t adding up.  So I decided to take off my so-called conservative goggles and examine the acts of his administration over the past eight years with a critical eye.  The list of his big government solutions is extensive.  The No Child Left Behind act, The Patriot Act, TARP, the Medicare Prescription Drug Act, and The John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007 which allows the President to declare a “public emergency” and station troops anywhere in America and take control of state-based National Guard units without the consent of the governor or local authorities, in order to “suppress public disorder,”; all big government programs that infringe on the liberties of Americans.  These are the programs I and many other so call conservatives backed with little or no complaint.  I began to question what the modern day version of conservatism really stood for and if I was subscribing to some bastardized version of it.  I needed to know what conservatism was about and I felt the best source could be found in our own history.

I spent a great deal of money buying all kinds of books that pertained to the founders and their debates, conservatism, and the constitution.  Books written by leading conservative intellectuals and various other historians; however the two books that really moved me were Mark Levin’s Liberty and Tyranny and the 5,000 Year Leap.   Both books were very easy to read and opened my eyes to just how far we had steered off course as a people and republic.  We were embracing the failed political and economic systems Europe and moving away from what made America great; individual liberty and our free-market system.  Instead we were moving closer and closer to a system of government and economic activity that relied on central planning and governmental controls.  This is not what made our nation great and President Bush with an “R” in front of his name had gently steered us down this path for 8 years.  Five years ago I would have blindly supported a Mitt Romney as my candidate for President, not because he was the most conservative, but because he would have the chance to beat the Democrat holding office.  Not so much anymore.   I believe the solutions to our problems can be found in the past and that past encompasses principles that promote individual liberties which lead to unfettered free-markets.  Five years ago Ron Paul’s foreign policy position would have been viewed by me as irresponsible and naïve.  I would have rejected him as a viable candidate in a second and moved on to the next big government, establishment type Republican.  Today I am much different.  I cannot simply reject his position anymore because he is promoting the one thing that can save us…liberty.  I now believe I have a better grasp on what true conservatism is about.  It’s about limited government, liberty, the constitution, and preserving the institutions that promote these ideals.  It’s not about a prescription drug plan or an act that provides us a bit more security while at the same time sacrificing our liberties.  It’s not about repealing ObamaCare and replacing with another big government program.  It’s about liberty.  Without liberty we are nothing.  We are slaves to a system that will manage every aspect of our lives.  Without liberty we are no longer will be master of our own destiny.  Without liberty we lose the things that made America great.  Without liberty we are nothing.  This is something we conservatives need to always keep in the forefront when choosing who we believe will best advance the above ideals no matter who you support in the Republican primaries.  Saving America will require us to get back what we have lost…liberty.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments
  • Fuzzy October 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Fantastic post, John! I, too, am not the same conservative I was five years, or even two years ago. The more off-the-rails this admin takes us, the more I see the foundations of that built on former “Republican” presidents’ actions, the more I reject what passes for conservatism in the Republican party. They’re doing the exact same thing, but even more “progressively” than the actual commies who call themselves “progressives.” Enough is enough.
    Fuzzy recently posted..Open Letter To #OWS "Revolutionaries"My Profile

• LD Jackson October 22, 2011 at 3:17 AM

You make a very compelling case, John. As you know, I was leaning towards Ron Paul earlier in the campaign, but his statements about 9/11 turned me off. I have since came to reexamine his position, and mine as well, and have came to the conclusion that I agree with him much more than I do any of the other candidates. There are still portions of his foreign policy that I have differences with, but I am not so sure they matter much at the moment. Especially given the fact that our country is in such dire financial straits.

As you have been stating for several months, Dr. Paul is the only candidate who is talking about what really matters, ie. the liberty that we have all taken for granted, yet have given so much of it away.

• John Carey October 22, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I wouldn’t have said this three years ago Larry, but Ron Paul offers us the best possibility to reverse our course towards tyranny and restore liberty. I like you still have some reservations with his foreign policy position; however I believe that restoring our constitution and liberty far outweighs his position on whether we should start bringing some of our troops home and reducing a military footprint around the world. The truth is because our government has far exceeded their constitutional authority by creating all these entitlement programs, we can no longer afford the endless wars. Make no mistake though, I am absolutely confident Ron Paul would defend America if we were attack or there was a direct threat to our nation. As for the likes of a Mitt Romney, well he is a fake. He believes in big government solutions at the expense of liberty.
      John Carey recently posted..Friday Ramblings: I’m not the same conservative I was five years agoMy Profile

• Steve Dennis October 22, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Amen John! Great post! I can totally relate to what you have written for I also blindly supported President Bush when he began implementing these big government programs and it wasn’t until he tried to pass amnesty that I began to question him. And then came TARP and we all realized that he was nothing more than a big government Republican. No longer will I blindly follow one party and not be critical just because a candidate has an “R” after his name. We need to elect small government constitutionalists and it doesn’t matter what party they are from.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Gunrunner: ATF supervisor told gun shop to “stock up” before Operation Fast and FuriousMy Profile

• Quite Rightly October 22, 2011 at 8:45 AM

Hear, hear!
    Quite Rightly recently posted..Fri. Flashback: Sending Your Green $$$ to FinlandMy Profile

• Teresa October 22, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Fantastic post, John! I am also a different conservative than I was a few years ago. I still have my differences with Ron Paul on many of his foreign policy positions but he is one of the few candidates promoting liberty so I could definitely support him even though he is not my top choice.
    Teresa recently posted..Back from hospital and will be taking it easyMy Profile

• John Carey October 22, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Thanks Teresa. I think the point I’m trying to really make here is that we were all duped by George W Bush. He spouted off such nonsense as compassionate Republican. Conservatives are the most giving and compassionate people I know. We don’t need a slogan to expand our tent to get the votes of the people who want to be governed by feelings. We need a rock solid conservative who will reduce the size of government, get spending under control, and restore our constitution. There are only about three candidates I believe who are capable of doing that. Ron Paul is one of them.

• Silverfiddle October 22, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I share your thoughts, and they are very well expressed. I think we are all different than we were five years ago, and I too look back to Bush’s destroying the free market in order to save it, among many other things.

I served in Iraq and I served in Afghanistan, but I think both were mistakes. It takes nothing away from the brave warriors who fought and died in those places to say that. We fought our enemies and we tried to make a better life for people.

Enemies punished, but you can’t change people who don’t want to change. Will we learn anything from all of this?
    Silverfiddle recently posted..Sic Semper TyrannisMy Profile

• John Carey October 22, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Nothing will ever take away from the outstanding character and performance of our Armed Forces during this War on Terror. I agree that I wasn’t so sure about Iraq, but I do believe we were justified going into Afghanistan. Al Qaeda was set up and operating out of Afghanistan and we simply couldn’t allow this after 9-11. Thank you for your service Silver.

• Trestin October 22, 2011 at 1:08 PM

John, this one hit home. I have changed a lot in the past few years. Being in the military has changed my views on many things, as has my research in blogging. If I were to travel back in time I think the old me would think the current me was crazy.
    Trestin recently posted..Biological WeaponsMy Profile

• […] Smoke and Mirrors Bus Tour WyBlog: Lech Walesa says “Nie” to Occupy Wall Street SJ: I’m not the same conservative I was five years ago Cof: Has the Whole World Gone Mad? theCL: Mainstream Politics Killed the American […]

• theCL October 23, 2011 at 10:44 PM

As I read your post, my mind kept going back to a conversation with a gentlemen I met yesterday. He was buying his son a remote-controlled helicopter that was recommended for older kids. I told him I had bought one for my nephew last year who was a year younger and could fly it with ease. We started talking real helicopters … A Marine, he had served multiple tours in Iraq and wanted to go fight more.

Big strapping dude, about my age, nice guy. Chaldean, immigrated here when he was 11. One thing about our conversation that really struck me is that while he’s certainly loyal to America, his home, the way he talked about fighting and why, it was unlike any other conversation I’ve had (or argument read) about the war. It was personal. He was born there. I respect him for that.

Being the shy, wall flower type that I am, I told him if they wanted to fight for freedom they should invade and conquer Washington, DC. He was really caught off guard by that statement, loyal soldier and all, but I was smiling. I said that people like me who are against the wars, are so because we don’t believe the reasons the 545 in DC give, think they’re crooks, and disapprove of their actions (which never match their rhetoric). I said just look at how much freedom we’ve lost over the past 10 years in the name of these wars.

We began talking about how much freer we used to be, when cops weren’t scary, how absolutely abusively ridiculous our taxes are, how the Fed counterfeits trillions., and that the government is so upside down in debt it’s sure to blow. America, “the land of the free,” used to be a beacon of hope for all the world. Everybody’s welcome! We led by example. We proved freedom produces the most virtuous and prosperous of societies. And that no matter how good our weapons, or how badass our soldiers, we can’t bring to anyone that which we don’t have ourselves.

Maybe the 2 of us have some disagreements, but the way he looked me square in the eyes as I said these things, and the way he shook my hand as we departed, we undeniably bonded. He shared his fears about the direction of America too. A young boy who escaped Iraq in search of freedom, then went back to fight for freedom, understood deep in his soul why I hate Washington, DC. How could we not be friends?

Bastardized liberty is no substitute for the real thing. We don’t have to fight literally yet, but if we keep supporting pretenders who keep backing us into the corner …
    theCL recently posted..Best Read (10/16 – 10/22/2011)My Profile

• John Carey October 23, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I was that same guy a few years ago CL. I wised up and realized that without liberty we have nothing. Looking back now I cannot believe how I blindly support Bush. I’m a different man now. You played a role in that…your posts.
      John Carey recently posted..Teeing it up: A Round at the LINKsMy Profile

• Matt October 24, 2011 at 12:01 AM

That’s a fantastic post John. I started getting very disillusioned in about 2006. I too was too blind in my support. What clicked for me was the fact that our allegedly “conservative” members of Congress, as well as our POTUS at the time, talked a good game, and got us to vote for them about every time, but showed no intention of shrinking government, spending, or anything else. I don’t think any of us are the same, and hopefully, we’ll keep on reading, learning, and speaking out.
    Matt recently posted..From the Culture Wars: What a gay kiss proves about the public indoctrination systemMy Profile

• John Carey October 24, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Thanks Matt. When I look back now I can’t believe how foolish I was to blindly support these people. The thing about it is once you embark on that journey to find conservative “enlightenment” there is not turning back. You change and I did change.
      John Carey recently posted..9-9-9: The Beauty is in the DetailsMy Profile

• Martin October 24, 2011 at 9:02 AM

As per your normal, a high quality article. I’m not ready to support Paul just yet, although he may be best of the bunch. However, when someone like you comes out in support of him, I have to re-examine, as I respect and agree with the vast majority of what Sentry has to say.

That being said, I will not vote for Romney, even if he is the nominee. If we can’t get a significant change, then it’s too late. Ironically, having another RINO, big-government establishment politician is probably worse than having Obama. At least SOME won’t fall back asleep as they are likely to do in the event of a Romney win.
    Martin recently posted..Ignorant and Indoctrinated, Not Necessarily StupidMy Profile

• John Carey October 24, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Thanks for the kind words Martin. I’m with you I simply can’t support Romney. He is as RINO as they come. He’s also supported by the establishment. Not for me.
      John Carey recently posted..9-9-9: The Beauty is in the DetailsMy Profile

• Lars October 25, 2011 at 7:39 AM

The problem is that Ron Paul is the only candidate that is not an insider. Cain was chairman of the Kansas Federal Reserve Bank. It is hard to get more inside than that.

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire October 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM

I went through a very similar transition, John. It wasn’t easy to face the truth. Our government has been dominated by “Big Government” administrations since Reagan left office. Even Reagan, in his farewell address regretted the increase in spending that occurred on his watch. Several of the Republican candidates know that we must reduce spending and make serious changes to our fiscal policies. But, Ron Paul is the only one who also knows how critical it is to change our monetary policies.
    Great post, John!
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Government Subterfuge?My Profile

• John Carey October 24, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Bush was a wake up call for me Jim. He was a great commander in chief, so I let an awful lot slide. Not any more my friend. We need rock solid conservative solutions and it all starts with liberty. Thank you for the comments.
      John Carey recently posted..9-9-9: The Beauty is in the DetailsMy Profile

• CAFM October 24, 2011 at 10:50 PM

Mr. Carey,
    I read with great interest your very reasoned and intelligent post. I am delighted that you took the time and put in the effort to understand for yourself just what liberty really is. The decision you have taken is one of the most important ones you may ever have taken in determining to support Dr. Paul. I am so glad that you now understand what so many others of us who support Dr. Paul also understand. I, too, remember what life in America was like as a child and today does not resemble those recollections in the least. I remember President Eisenhower and his warning to America to beware the military-industrial complex. I have read Reagan’s Goldwater speech and listened to it numerous times. (A Time For Choosing) Even though Mr. Reagan somewhat abandoned his ideology once he became president, that speech was the best speech of the twentieth century and still brings me to tears. It encapsulates much of what you wrote about in your post.
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts about how you came to legitimate conservatism. Better later than never. 🙂

• Rick October 24, 2011 at 10:58 PM

Great post John, I made the same transition right after the 2008 debates. In fact, I was so ticked off that I actually wrote in Dr. Paul during that election. For me the choice is Dr. Paul or the same old same old, which is really no choice at all. None of the Republican candidates even come close to Dr. Paul’s clarity and understanding of Liberty.
    Rick recently posted..The "Perfect Politician"My Profile

• FedupExpression October 24, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Stories like this make me smile John as they are always a testament to my own journey, and they provide the foundation for my present hopes to build upon.

As to the foreign policy reticence, and as the son of a West Pointer who grew up standing at attention in front of the TV as the National Anthem was played, and as an all around Rah! Rah! boy for the military and all around American power, I found it difficult to face the reality that we live in a world of consequence and that someone I respected so much seemed so damned niave on the subject of Islamic Terorism was bothersome to me.

Rather than dismiss him over this, and seeing that main stream information streams seemed aligned against him, and given their ownership, I decided to do a litlle more digging than what I was used to getting from Rush, To Mark, To Bill…etc.

What finally brought me off my high Red, White and Blue horse enough to solidify a new position was the Youtube presentation of Robert Pape and his University of Chicago Pentagon/Carnegie funded study of suicide “terrorism” entitled “Dying To Win”. I highly recommend taking an hour of your life to hear the conclusions. There is a book as well.

If that isn’t enough…I recommend a screening of the old Swayze/Sheen film “Red Dawn” and then do a little ruminating about what we’ve been doing…it is rather liberating.

Anyway. Thanks for sharing the same journey/differrent day thoughts. An interesting thread to read is the Ron Paul Supporters Who Are You Guys? thread at the Daily Paul. It has been ongoing for years and is a wealth of similar journeys of the mind.

• bob October 24, 2011 at 11:25 PM

• R Morales October 24, 2011 at 11:46 PM

Wow! Welcome aboard the Paul Express I recently researched the causes our national problems and jumped on with Dr Paul. If you liked Levin’s books wait till you read Liberty Defined by Ron Paul or any of Tom Wood’s or Andrew Napolitano’s books.

• GreatScott October 25, 2011 at 12:25 AM

If I didn’t know anybody, this article sounds like me you are describing. My studies of the housing bubble collapse led me to the Federal Reserve led me to Ron Paul.

• Carolyn Karger October 25, 2011 at 12:59 AM

Simply wonderful essay! I have a song for you – called “Ron Paul Free”. I hope you will enjoy it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wdmP8PRThQ

• Ofarrell October 25, 2011 at 2:23 AM

I, too, am not the same conservative. I jumped ship a few months ago. I’ve had some time to follow around the blogosphere commenting on various articles and there they are… Paulites. It is truly amazing what I have seen as no other candidate has such a large, devout base, most very knowledgeable about current affairs, economics, and the principles of liberty and where they came from. And a large chunk is from our youth. The founding fathers would no doubt have delighted to see this energy. Welcome to the Revolution 🙂

• […] Sentry Journal […]

• JimFromAnaheim October 25, 2011 at 5:40 AM

I’m glad to hear about your journey. I think you’ll find Ron Paul’s foreign policy makes just as much sense as his economic policies once you examine them in more detail.

For one thing, attacking a group of thugs that do not belong to a nation-state as if they were a nation-state is absurd. It’s the exact trap that terrorists executing asymmetric warfare wanted us to fall into, and we did so — hook, line, and sinker. The whole point of asymmetric warfare is to make a superior enemy that you could not defeat in pitched battles spend vast amounts of resources fighting you. The terrorists won that because we fell into the trap. Ron Paul’s congressional bill for a Letter of Marque made much more sense (not to mention the “minor” fact that it was actually constitutional as opposed to an undeclared war).

On top of that look at everything that is happening that Ron Paul warned about in advance. Iraq looks like it is going to be controlled by pretty radical Islamists who are sympathetic to Iran. Egypt is going to be controlled by Islamists unfriendly to the U.S. I’m betting that happens in Libya as well. The United States is spending vast sums of money to install our supposed enemies all around the globe. It’s absolutely insane!!!!! Yet the only neocon solution is more of the same. It would be funny if it weren’t so seriously sad and pathetic.

There are lots of things in life that when you try to hard to accomplish your goals, things backfire and you wind up with the opposite of what you intended. U.S. foreign policy is one of those things. Ron Paul is right again in his approach, and people need to listen again before it’s too late.

• David Cole October 25, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself, I had almost the same exact experience. For me it was the “Bush Stimulus”, when he and Pelosi sent all those checks out. I knew that wasn’t right and it slowly started me down the path of examining just what I was supporting.

• Mark October 25, 2011 at 7:41 AM

If there is one thing Liberty and Tyranny wasn’t it would be “easy to read” that book was difficult to read unless you’re an attorney. I got through it though and I would agree that it was the most candid, thorough book written to date.

• Lars October 25, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Having read all the comments it seems that a lot of us started leaning towards Dr. Paul’s positions sometime during the last 2-5 years.

Think about this. Ron Paul has held these same positions for more than three decades. He predicted a 911 like attack back in 1998 (search youtube). He predicted the housing bubble back in 2001. He even predicted the constraints on our liberty back in the 80’s.

Having listened to and read the good doctor for more than 4 years now I can only recommend listening to this incredible man. I am proud to be a humble supporter and I hope America is now wise enough to choose President Paul.

• pblumel October 25, 2011 at 7:53 AM

I think a lot of us learned from the failures of the Bush administration. It was not a failure of our limited government principles however, it was because Bush-style conservatism does not represent those principles. For all his superficial imperfections (debating ability, choice of suits), Ron Paul is the only candidate in the primary that does, so we don’t really have a choice but to support him. I am no longer reluctant about this, but was initially. He is making real progress toward reforming our party just by running I find this inspiring; in a sense he has already won!

• Sam Perricone October 25, 2011 at 9:25 AM

John, bless you for this endorsement. I think, more and more, we are seeing former establishment Republicans “waking up” so to speak, and coming to the conclusion that Ron Paul is really our only option if we are to save the union.

My story of how I came to support Dr. Paul is much like yours. I clearly remember the very same press conference, when Bush said he abandoned free-market principles to save the free-market. I was immediately aghast, thinking it was something I would expect to hear from Barack Obama or John McCain.

However, I didn’t come to notice Dr. Paul until the debate in South Carolina this past May. His answer about foreign policy, of all things, is was really got to me. I think I went from being establishment Republican to staunch Paul supporter in the span of 24 hours, and I haven’t looked back since. This is what Dr. Paul said at that debate that jolted me out of the status-quo:

“You know, I spent five years in the service, and I’ve spent a little time in the Pakistant/ Afghanistan area. But I wouldn’t wait for my generals; I’m the Commander in Chief! I make the decisions, I tell the Generals what to do, and I’d bring ’em home as quickly as possible, and I’d get them out of Iraq as well. I wouldn’t start a war in Libya, I’d quit bombing Yemen, and I’d quit bombing Pakistan. I’d start taking care of people here at home because we could save hundreds of billions of dollars. Our national security is not enhanced by our presence over there. We have no purpose there. We should learn the lessons of history. The longer we’re there, the worse things are, and the more danger we’re in. Our presence there is not making friends.”

• John Carey October 25, 2011 at 11:06 PM

That press conference Bush had about abandoning free-market principles really got to me. My jaw dropped. Looking back it was actually the best thing that happened to me. It forced me to do my own research and what I discovered is I was a fake supporting a bunch of fake conservatives. Thanks for the comments Sam.
      John Carey recently posted..#Occupy Wall Street: UMASS Professor Explains how to “Get Rid” of People in Order to Achieve CommunismMy Profile

• Sam Perricone October 26, 2011 at 9:12 AM

To me, the worst thing about the last four years or so, is this popular wave of “too big to fail”. I have never believed, for a second, that such a thing exists. Whether it’s a company, or even a country. If you fail, you fail. I don’t think people, especially conservatives, should ever allow themselves to be fooled into thinking anything is ever too big to fail. I think Greece should have gone under a long time ago, and because they have been continually propped up by other countries pooling their resources together, to bail out a country, Greece is likely, in my view, to bring the rest of Europe down with them. I think it’s a mistake for Britain to ever consider transitioning to the euro. They should keep their own currency, because they minute they start using the euro, they cede their sovereignty to a foreign body, and they’d be more apt to spend their limited capital on bailing someone out instead of taking care of their own country.

I respect Britain, so far, for at least not transitioning to the euro. My fear, though, is that too many people here in the US don’t seem to have a problem with being part of the IMF, and eventually making a worldwide currency. That to me, is unacceptable. We should transition back to having our money backed by something like gold, so it’s actually worth something. This system is just all messed up, and we’re bringing the rest of the world down with us if we don’t do something.

• JLS October 25, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Beautifully said! I was in that exact same place that you were in 2008 and then I heard Ron Paul speak and all of a sudden I could see it-we conservatives had become just another flavor of big government socialism and were betraying everything the founding fathers fought for. You are right, without liberty we are nothing.

• Mrs K October 25, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Hello, Mr. Carey,

Welcome to the rEVOLution! Freedom is still popular in America, but you’d never know it from the “reality” being perpetuated around us… You may take some hits for “outing” yourself as a Paul supporter (I certainly have) but stay strong in the knowledge that there are countless Americans who will stand for liberty with you. The other patriots are, albeit slowly, coming along… I hope they arrive before the primaries “! 🙂

Ron Paul 2012 or bust!!!

• John Carey October 25, 2011 at 11:10 PM

It took some time for me to figure it out, but better late than never. I don’t think I’ll take that many hits because most of the conservatives I run with know the score and they understand how important this next election is. They may not all support Ron Paul, but they’re outstanding people I will continue to stand with. I will make my case in support of Dr. Paul and we shall see how the chips will fall. Thanks for the comments Mrs. K

• Libertas1983 October 25, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I want to thank you for being open and honest about the path that led you to supporting Liberty. I do not know conservative history very well, nor do I claim to. However, I do know what being free is, and I love it, as much as I love this country of ours. So again thank you for recognizing what was once lost.

• A Conservative Teacher October 25, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Fantastic… you all vote Ron Paul and then sit on your hands and refuse to vote for Romney, and you’ll all help Obama win re-election. Pick Romney or Perry and back them with all your power and strength, but any other choice is just dumping time and money into Obama’s re-election campaign. Oh, I know, you’d rather be true to yourself than support a non-perfect candidate, but meanwhile Obama is our President and our nation goes down the tubes. Grow up people.

• David Cole October 25, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Last I checked, the primary is not over yet. In fact, it’s barely started. If and when Ron Paul doesn’t get the nomination, I’ll decide what position to take regarding the nominee. Can we expect the same from mainstream GOPers should Ron Paul win the nomination?

• Lars October 25, 2011 at 5:56 PM

The two party system is like one bird with two wings flying in the wrong direction. Have you forgotten the Bush years? The largest debt, huge spending increases, explosion in big government, foreign wars and intrusion in our private lives through the Unpatriot Act etc. Obama promised “hope” and “change” and gave us more of the same. The Democrats were fooled in the same way as we are fooled at every single election. Both parties pay lip service to the voters to get elected and then progress their agenda towards more government and less freedom. When will you grow up and start voting your conscience, vote for what is right, rather than the latest liar of the day. Ron Paul is the only true statesman in either party and apart from Gary Johnson I would not consider voting for anybody else.

• Bdubya October 25, 2011 at 8:30 PM

Obviously your eyes are still wide shut. It is exact mindset which continues to enslave a nation. ROMNEY OR PERRY you have to be kidding. Id rather Obama get back into office for this one reason and one reason alone – It will keep main line sleephead republicans from sitting back down on the sidelines and sayng “yahoo we got rid of Obama everything will be OK now because we won back the white house” SO WHAT !! A different puppet in a Red tie is just as unsuitable as a puppet in a red tie if they are controlled by the same corporate and banking interests. I HOPE YOU GET PERRY OR ROMNEY. You love being conned. I love the false thrill of being on the winning team when in the end you just get screwed. Give me a break Perry or Romney! The same perry and Romney who are getting all of their campaign denotions from the same banks as donated to Obama and McCain. Its A rigged Don King Boxing fight. King always wins no matter which fighter goes down.

You are the epitome of where I was and where most of those posting comments were and plain and simple you just gotta wake up and see reality. I’m sorry if this is strong but I was really encouraged read all the other post seeing people who, by God’s grace are finally seeing through the facade. I then I read your post.

Damn we deserve everything were going to get if this is the mindset of the majority

• John Carey October 25, 2011 at 11:27 PM

I refuse to blindly support a non-conservative candidate just because the have an “R” in front of their name and they have the best chance to beat Obama. I refuse to compromise my conservative principles anymore. This is the kind of thinking that has gotten us in this mess. For far to long we have let these RINOs slide. No more for me CT. No more.
      John Carey recently posted..Useful Idiots Belong to the BourgeoisieMy Profile

• cshoff October 25, 2011 at 11:31 PM

If you could show a credible difference between the policies of Bush 43 and Obama, then you might have a valid point. The truth is, Romney, Perry, et al, simply advocate the same policies that Bush and Obama advocate. If your are going to replace big-government candidate “A” with big-government candidate “B”, you haven’t gained anything at all. You keep doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. That is the very definition of insanity.

• JLS October 26, 2011 at 9:58 AM

You still don’t get it. Apperently you think we conservatives should prefer the big government socialist republican party to the big government socialist democratic party. A Romney presidency won’t be any different from an Obama presidency, a Hilary presidency, a Huckabee presidency or a Palin presidency. They are all exaclty the same! Each of those people are pragmatists who will govern as they see fit in each situation and are not in the least bit restrained by what the constitution says. Only Ron Paul has any actual philosophy of governing. Every one of those others will continue the course of police state at home and empire abroad. It’s a stark but clear choice-Ron Paul or status quo.

• Bdubya October 25, 2011 at 8:07 PM

John

I came here from a link on the dailypaul dot com. And i’m glad I did. I moved to the U.S. eight years ago from England when I married into a staunch Republican Pennsylvanian family. I easily slipped into this ‘glove’ and even remember staying up late to hear the results of the Bush / Kerry election and was so thankful when Bush won. I even recall once saying to a colleague how “we need to give up more freedom for security” when the renewal of the Patriot Act was going through. I HAVE COME A REALLY LONG WAY SINCE THEN. (probably more than some of you guys that have posted here – But I think that is because looking back at my upbringing in England I have SEEN where America is headed and there is no way that I am going to sit back an allow it to go that way for my Children). As a Christian I understand why many people have an issue with withdrawing foreign Aid to Israel. However we have given far more to her enemies. I have also come to see that the religious right use the theology of dispensationalism to make anything and everything that Israel does as an OK thing. Jesus said “Blessed are the peace makers” and “Love your enemy”, A Ron Paul ‘Non Interventionist’ foreign policy is not Isolationism as is so often stated. I prefer to see it as the foreign policy of the golden rule ‘Do unto others as you would have them do unto you’. Concerning 9/11 no matter what you believe – Asking questions to a government that does nothing but lie, rob and cheat us should not be condemned.

I’ll stop there. All I’ll say is I think the awaken is happening and I’m glad to think that I with you all are a part of it.

Thanks for your post John

• John Carey October 25, 2011 at 11:35 PM

Thanks telling me your story about how you changed. I agree with you. I believe there is indeed a great awakening taking place in America; one voter at a time. We have a long road ahead of us, but the journey is definitely worth it. Once you take off the establishment glasses, you will never see things the same again. Thanks for stopping by.
      John Carey recently posted..Useful Idiots Belong to the BourgeoisieMy Profile

• Abigail October 26, 2011 at 8:50 AM

Thank you for your post and sharing your thoughtful journey. I’m thrilled to see a shifting of support toward Ron Paul. I wish more people would take an honest look at the state of our country and use some critical thinking. Too often, I think, people are manipulated into submission and complacency. We must keep our fellow patriots engaged in issues that matter. Ron Paul doggedly brings up these core issues again and again. We must insist and even demand that our liberties, granted by God not the government, not be infringed upon. We must recognize that the government does NOT have our best interest in mind. They are only interested in gaining and keeping power. It is our responsibility to remind them that they serve at OUR pleasure. Please keep spreading the word of liberty, constitutionalism, the rule of law, and true Americanism!

• Daphne October 26, 2011 at 4:38 PM

I could have written your first two paragraphs, John. It sounds precisely like what has happened to me over the past five years.

Since opening my eyes to the reality of what the GOP has become and the damage they have done to our country, my conversion to a more libertarian stand point has significantly deepened.

I openly support Ron Paul for president, a stance I never would have taken even four years ago. He strikes me as intelligent, principled, capable and the candidate who is most aware of the seriousness of our deteriorating condition and how we might rectify the damage.

His economic plan hits every point I want to see, from $1 trillion in cuts to the eradication of HUD, DoE and other bureaucratic wastelands.

I like the fact that he doesn’t pander to anyone and repeats the same opinions and ideas no matter who he’s speaking to. I think he has integrity and will try to implement his ideas if elected.

I find it very odd that so many Tea Party and Evangelical voters write him off without giving the man or his positions a single look. Instead they focus on Israel, abortion and gay marriage to the exclusion of more seriously pressing national matters.

Thanks for writing such a great piece, from the comments it appears to have resonated with a lot of conservatives who’ve opened their eyes.

• […] Original Post:  The Sentry Journal […]

• […] is why more and more conservatives “cannot simply reject” Ron Paul anymore, while others have “decided to back” Ron Paul for […]