SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Judge Napolitano: Do we have a constitution?

Judge Napolitano: Do we have a constitution?

Do we have a constitution anymore? Can the republic be restored? Judge Andrew Napolitano and Utah Senator Mike Lee examine this topic in the below video.  Please take a few minutes and watch it.

Mark Levin says we are living in a “post constitution” period in America.  Conservative talk show host Mike Church believes our constitution is dead and that we need to get over it.  The other day I was listening to Andrew Wilkow and he made the case that DUI checkpoints which is now commonplace in America are 100 percent unconstitutional.  Think about it, every time law enforcement set these checkpoints up to randomly pull over cars and subject the individual to a sobriety tests or breath alcohol test without any probable cause they are violating the 4th amendment which was crafted to guard against unreasonable searches and seizures without probable cause.  I never really thought about until Mr. Wilkow talked about it his show.  This is another example where our society has traded off their personal liberties for what they view as a safer driving environment.  Constitutional violations occur everyday in America and no one is willing to stand up and challenge these violators.  This brings me to a conversation I had with Right Hand Man yesterday.

We both believe that the solutions to our problems resides within each of us.  It will not be found in a politician with a silver tongue or a governmental body. The solution will be found in us.  The first step is taking off the political party goggles and examine ourselves as individuals with a critical eye.  Until we find the Cicero in each of us to stand up and defend the republic I’m afraid we will watch our once great republic slip away.  You see the problem isn’t just with the politician; it with us.  After all we are the ones who elected these individuals and at the end of the day they are a reflection of who we have become.  The constitution is violated each day because we have not stood up as a whole and defended it.  We must hold these violators of the constitution accountable for their acts and this is done by replacing them with an individuals who is constitutionally grounded.

Looking at our candidates I only see two who are constitutionally grounded and they are in the back of the pack.  What does that say about us?  What does that say about the future of individual liberty in America?  Our government is growing and our nation is drowning in debt.  We’re on the verge of financial collapse and two big government candidates are leading our field.  All I will say is we get the government we deserve.  If I sound frustrated it’s because I am.  I don’t want to live in a post constitution America.  I want to live in an America where the constitution is reestablished as a wall between the government and the people.  I know I’m partly to blame for the mess we’re in because I blindly voted for the “R” and not for the conservative in the past.  No more.  Big government Republicans are not going to restore the republic or reestablish our constitution.  Only we the people will restore the republic and reestablish our constitution.  And we will do this by replacing those who are ignoring the constitution with those who have a strong desire to reestablish it; but it all starts with us.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , ,

Comments
  • Steve Dennis November 30, 2011 at 5:30 AM

This is something I have thought about as well because we really do not have a constitution any more. Nobody in Washington looks at a bill from a constitutional perspective before deciding whether or not to support it. The constitution has become nothing more than a talking point which is used every four years during the campaign and then forgotten about.
    It is sad that both Republican front runner are big government people who will not even think about the constitution if elected. You are right John, it is our faul we have gotten to this point and only we can turn it around.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Gunrunner: Eric Holder blames the media for his unpopularityMy Profile

• John Carey November 30, 2011 at 6:09 AM

It’s extremely frustrating for me Steve. We all claim to want to restore the constitution, but then we throw our support behind people who have no intentions of supporting and defending the constitution. Instead we support candidates who believe the government will provide the solutions to our problems and we do it under the “anybody but Obama” mindset no matter who we nominate. And then we are surprised when nothing changes. We will blame everything and everybody for the same old politics as usual in DC, except the people who put these buffoons in office…and that’s on us my friend.
      John Carey recently posted..Judge Napolitano: Do we have a constitution?My Profile

• Steve Dennis November 30, 2011 at 8:43 PM

The old “lesser of two evils” mindset during the elections has helped to lead us to this point. It really is no wonder that politicians don’t feel bound by the restraints of the constitution because we have let them run wild for too long.
        Steve Dennis recently posted..Newt Gingrich and the Fairness DoctrineMy Profile

• theCL November 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM

Exactly! As long as you’re gonna “support the team,” we’re gonna do whatever we want.

As long as we place “winning” above principle, we’re screwed. See the budget, see the police state, see the corruption in Washington as proof. It’s up to those of us who are more interested and pay closer attention to affect change. Instead of reading the day-to-day drama of the National Review for example, read some Kirk, Nisbet, or Chodorov. Read Albert Jay Nock, HLMencken, Richard Weaver, Joseph Sobran, Robert A Taft, Leonard Read, and Murray Rothbard.

These Old Right titans were in the thick of the battle when the leviathan state had just begun. Learn what they had to say, what they wanted, and what it was they wanted to conserve. These brave remnants are the biological fathers of American conservatism. Maybe, just maybe, they have a lot of wisdom to share. At the very least, we owe it to them to learn and deeply understand.

The more knowledge you have, the further away from partisan politics you’ll drift. And as blog writers, little by little you can change the world.
          theCL recently posted..theCL Report (November 30, 2011)My Profile

• John Carey December 1, 2011 at 6:23 AM

“The more knowledge you have, the further away from partisan politics you’ll drift.”
            How true! I find the more I read about the founders and the early republic the less I see things in a partisan way. The problem is that when you finally figure it out you feel like you are on an island and no one can see or hear you.

• Infidel de Manahatta November 30, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Our Constitution died a long time ago. We are not worthy of it. Too bad. It was a great document.

• Bunkerville November 30, 2011 at 1:41 PM

You said all that is to be said. Our local Tea Party had a get together at the last debate. There were about 50 or so. At the end, a ballot was cast. Gingrich was the overwhelming favorite. That said it all for me. Little hope there.
    Bunkerville recently posted..Obama orders killed Border Agent Brian Terry’s records sealedMy Profile

• John Carey December 1, 2011 at 6:27 AM

It must have been so frustrating Bunker. To see people you thought were looking for a restoration of constitutional principles fall into the “Anyone but Obama” trap and throw their support behind a big government guy like Newt. So much for standing by principle.

• Country Thinker November 30, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Try taking Constitutional Law at a law school…

• […] Conservative Hideout has a 1949 Ode to Welfare written by a “prominent Democrat” and entered into the Congressional Record. Finally, consider this discussion at SENTRY JOURNAL, on living in a post-Constitution era – watch the video with the excellent Judg…. […]

• Bob Mack December 1, 2011 at 12:17 AM

Term limits for all politicians—preferably 5 to 10 with no time off for good behavior (not that they ever display any…)
    Bob Mack recently posted..Bye Bye BarneyMy Profile

• John Carey December 1, 2011 at 6:30 AM

I think term limits are a good idea. The one thing I really thing need to change before term limits is that all the bill they pass apply to them as well. They need to be part of social security and Obamacare. They need to feel the pain by being participants in the terrible programs they establish. As of now they are not required to be participants. That needs to change.

• theCL December 1, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Welcome to my world … Don’t worry though, you’re not as alone as you think.
    theCL recently posted..Newt Gingrich: Serial HypocrisyMy Profile

• Teresa December 1, 2011 at 7:59 PM

We have a Constitution that’s on paper but is it followed today? No. The American people have been asleep at the switch for awhile now but with the out in front in your face shoving tyranny down our throats Obama administration many have now awoken. This is good. I just hope its not too little too late in order to save our country. While I agree that we need to elect conservatives who follow the Constitution I also believe that it is imperative for us to vote Obama out of the White House in 2012, and I think whomever of the GOP makes it to the WH will at the very least help us reverse course from this horrible path Obama and the Dems have us on.
    Teresa recently posted..Viral Video: The Democratic Party and Blacks – A Consistent History of Abuse and ExploitationMy Profile

• John Carey December 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I agree Teresa. When we make it through the primaries and whoever comes out on top we should support them to remove Obama from office. However it is the primaries and I believe we need to elect the most conservative candidate running and one who is willing to actually support and defend the constitution. This is what the primaries are for.
      John Carey recently posted..Ron Paul Ad Exposes Newt GingrichMy Profile

• […] Moonbattery: Uhbama Wishes His Subjects a Happy Winter Solstice Pundette: Not Mitt, not Newt SJ: Do we have a constitution? Spellchek: What’s the easiest way to reduce unemployment? Stop counting […]