SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » I am what I am because I’m the master of my own destiny

I am what I am because I’m the master of my own destiny

Can you say that you are masters of your own destiny; that you control your own fate?  That all you are and all you will become is based on the decisions you have made or will make in this life; a series of choices that lead to life events with more choices to make.  Or do you believe your life is predestined and no matter what road you travel or what choices you make it has already been mapped out?  There is so much I don’t know about life, but what I do know is I am what am because of who I am and I’m living the life I have chosen.  And it’s good.

I don’t envy those who are successful and wealthy because being master of my own destiny is all the success and wealth I need.  Deciding how my life unfolds is more powerful than all the power the kings and queens of the world wield over their subjects.  Everything I have achieve or not achieve I own.  And I don’t hold a grudge against those who have achieved or earned more.  The most important thing we have in this life next to God and family is the opportunity to be masters of our own destiny and that’s something that can’t be measured in dollars or gold.  It’s a powerful force that motivates people into action.  It was the force that moved the founding fathers to pledge their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor to fight so a nation and a people would have the same opportunity to be masters of their own destiny.  Unfortunately today there are forces trying to sell the idea that we cannot be trusted to decide our own fate.  They believe we need guidance and direction in our lives.

These forces are stoking the fires of envy and pitting us against each other over wealth and material things.  They have created a regulatory state that not only stifles innovation but also limits our choice, suffocating liberty and the ability to be masters of our own destiny.  Their constant meddling in the free market via regulations has created a toxic environment for investors, small business owners, banks and anyone who wants the opportunity to succeed.  They have single-handedly destroyed nearly everything our founders fought so hard to attain.  These forces must be defeated on every front or America will fall.  The great experiment will come to an end and the light of liberty will flicker out.  These things will come to pass if we lose our individual ability to choose, to decide our own fate and to be masters our destiny.

I am what I am because of who I am.  My life is the life I have chosen.  I do not envy the rich because in the end as long as I can choose my path I’m the richest individual in the world.  You see the secret to America’s success is not in its economic power or military strength.  The secret to our success is the individual and our ability to choose our destinies, our paths, our careers, and our fates.  This is a secret the President either abhors or has failed to grasp.  I’m hoping and praying it’s the latter because America has survived incompetent Presidents.

Liberty forever, freedom for all.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , , , ,

Comments
  • […] June 20th, 2012 | Add a Comment […]

• Steve Dennis June 20, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Great post John! We control who we are through the decisions we make in life and while life may throw things at us once in awhile it is how we react that makes us who we are. But the government doesn’t see it this way; the government wants to “protect” us by taking away choices so we won’t be able to make the wrong decision (in the government’s eye) but of course that comes with a loss of freedom.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..MSNBC edits a Mitt Romney speech to make him appear out of touch with the peopleMy Profile

• John Carey June 20, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Thanks Steve. I really do believe if we want to stop the madness going on in our nation, stop all the corruption in D.C. and get the country back on course we first must be masters of our own destinies. With that we need to understand the self-imposed limits we willingly place on ourselves with the choices we make and instead of being angry at the other person for achieving more, we should be elated that we have the capacity to choose our own path and if that path leads to successes or failures it still the path we have chosen.

• Silverfiddle June 20, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Hayek called it personal sovereignty. We’ve lost the concept, chasing the chimera of equal outcomes.
    Silverfiddle recently posted..Illegal Immigration Benefits all AmericanMy Profile

• John Carey June 20, 2012 at 9:47 PM

We have indeed lost the concept of personal sovereignty Silver. In fact the founders believed that the sovereign individual was the cornerstone for self governance. When you lose your individualism, you lose your desire and capacity to to self govern your actions.
      John Carey recently posted..I am what I am because I’m the master of my own destinyMy Profile

• Infidel de Manahatta June 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Master of our own personal destiny? Without government handouts? What a radical concept!

Better keep this opinion under your hat before the Democrats rough you up.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..The Gospel of Barack Obama (Part XXI)My Profile

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire June 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Sadly, those that choose to give government power over their lives are choosing their own destiny and at the same time making it harder for the rest of us to choose our destinies with less government interference.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Will Obama’s New Immigration Policy Turn Into An Oops Moment?My Profile

• Teresa Rice June 20, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Even though I believe that the answers to both questions are yes or partly true for each I fully agree with your points in your post. It is my opinion that some things happen in which we have no control over. But then the question is: How do we deal with the surprises, events, or accidents that happen to us? Do we act like victims or do we pick ourselves up and choose our own destiny? Do we let life beat us down or do we pick ourselves up to persevere?

• John Carey June 20, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I don’t discount the power and influence of God in our lives. However I do believe that no matter what happens in our lives we do have free will. Even God gives us a choice. How we deal with adversity and success is based on the choices we make.

• […] Post:  The Sentry Journal This entry was posted in Op-Ed and tagged Choice, choose, Destiny, fate, Freedom, […]