SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » My Greatest Fear

My Greatest Fear

If my concerns resided in the hands of the RNC my greatest fear for America would be four more years of Obama and his failed policies.  It is not.  Allow me to illustrate my greatest fear.

In 2007 the state of Nevada had an unemployment rate of 4.2%.  In January of 2008 it was 5.4%, January of 2009, 9.6%, January of 2010 it was 13.4%, January of 2011 it was 13.8%, and finally 12.7% in 2012.  During that time of the greatest increase the Democrats had the super majority in Congress and Obama in the Oval Office.  The state of Nevada reelected Sen. Reid and 50% of Nevadans are supporting President Obama in the polls.

Keeping with the same January trend, let’s look at a couple of other states.

Michigan
’07 – 6.8%
’08 – 7.1%
’09 – 11.3%
’10 – 13.8%
’11 – 10.9%
’12 –  9%

California
’07 – 4.9%
’08 – 5.8%
’09 – 9.7%
’10 – 12.3%
’11 – 12.1%
’12 –  11%

Obama is up in both of these states (up big in California).  Sadly the left is still successfully selling that 8 years of Bush policies, which had an average unemployment rate during that 8 years of 5% is responsible for the average 8.6% unemployment over the last 4 years.

Of course readers of this blog aren’t naive enough to fall for that or even think that a President can or should take responsibility for economic success or turmoil – after all, we build business.  It is much harder for a President or Congress to influence business positively rather than negatively.  A friendly environment allows business to create its own successes or turmoil.  The best that our fed can do is completely stay out of the business of business and allow them to shape their own fortune.  This can result in their success or failure; free market principles 101.  On the flip side, an intrusive government can stifle growth and investment through taxation, regulation, and uncertainty.

There’s a bigger issue at stake than jobs though.  Like it or not, jobs fall under the least important portion of the unalienable rights triad; “pursuit of happiness”.  The other two “life” and “liberty” are superior in nature and are required in order to accomplish the last.  The problem is that our pursuit of happiness is not the only thing being attacked in this present crisis – but life and liberty as well.

Life is the most important element in our existence for “self-evident” reasons.  Without life, liberty and happiness are moot.  Still, that basic right has been stolen from millions of unborn babies over the past 4 decades.  They were offered no chance to enjoy the liberty of life or to pursue anything.  The vast majority of them were cast off, unwanted by a selfish generation; the same generation that now looks to the youth to be burdened with higher taxes in a less fortunate economic environment to fund their entitlements.  If only we had a few million more to help assist or a less parasitic people that didn’t require such great assistance.

Liberty is also being besieged on every front.  Government involvement in our lives is so daunting that it is hard to think of where they aren’t.  Every bill I pay is taxed by multiple (sometimes unknown) entities, what I consume, what I throw away, what I eat, how I work, what I build, where I build, “my” healthcare, “my” education, “my” transportation; all and more are influenced in some way by government.  I am taxed, limited, protected, rejected, enrolled, forced, and discouraged by a body that neither knows nor understands me.

And through all of this and the expansion thereof over the past four years, amidst undeniable failure on the grandest of scales half of the American people are still supporting this President and his ilk.  My greatest fear is not four more years of Obama – but an American people that desire four more years of this!  That fear is compounded by a synonymous concern; that the people turn things around but have the credit convincingly stolen by politicians.  Imagine, for instance, if Obama is reelected and the unemployment rate drops to 6% because we adjust to the new norms.  Keynesian economics will take a victory lap in spite of its two lame legs.  Conversely, if Romney wins and the economy continues to falter (Even if Romney were to attempt to limit government as a strong libertarian, which he is not, he couldn’t possibly reverse the trends in a short period of time) the Keynesians will arise like Lazarus and declare victory over death.

America’s future is bleak when half of citizens are convinced that a successful and progressive America looks like a modern Greece.  What hope have we when we make excuses and deny the abuses of our government in spite of our injuries and blackened eyes?  When Burke is replaced with Marx and Americana with Che, how can we keep our identity?  When half of us still support this failure, lack the understanding of liberty and capitalism, and want at least four more years of this environment then I’m afraid we have come to a stand still in the battle for America’s conscience.

We cannot measure success by narrow political victories.  If Romney wins what have we really won?  Half of America is still convinced that the quasi-socialist policies of the left are ideal.  When half of the population thinks that way it stifles what any opposition can do, it lessens the range of a pendulum shift and all the while we are no more than a few percentage points away from being right back where we were.  America needs a sea change political revival.  We cannot simply win an election or two and boast of our past deeds – we need to conquer this rising ideology until it is dead, buried, and forgotten.

RightHandMan

Written by

Yeah, I tweet. If you want to follow me on Twitter, just click on the link below. I hope you do.

Filed under: Uncategorized

Comments
  • Silverfiddle September 4, 2012 at 7:34 AM

It is a battle of ideas. When will the GOP wake up and use the objective lessons around us? Greece. Closer to home, Detroit and California. That is liberalism on crack. They should be discussing these real-world examples and ask people if that is really what they want.
    Silverfiddle recently posted..Liars for ObamaMy Profile

• RightHandMan
      RightHandMan September 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I’m not sure that the GOP will be discussing them so much as we will. Our leaders will only change when we change our leaders. Currently, I would argue, that our leaders aren’t in government roles.

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire September 4, 2012 at 8:37 AM

California is a lost cause. However, according to Fox News yesterday polls are now showing that Michigan and Wisconsin and New Mexico and Nevada, which were all considered to be leaning toward Obama, are now considered to be toss-up states. So, maybe some people are waking-up.
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..The Obama Campaign is Running On Spent Ammunition, Retreads, and Used TiresMy Profile

• RightHandMan
      RightHandMan September 4, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I understand that the polls are closing – but that still means that nearly half of the people in those states is “asleep”.

• Bunkerville September 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

There may be at least some hope in that the influx of Hispanics may evolve politically. They are catholic for the most part, many are hard working. I would think they would at some point appreciate conservative values. Somehow we must connect with them. No one is going to send them back to Mexico. That is the sad truth.
    Bunkerville recently posted..DNC includes Calendar that compares Obama to Jesus ChristMy Profile

• RightHandMan
      RightHandMan September 4, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I am hardly an amnesty kind of guy – but I’m probably not as hard nosed on this issue as many. I’ve been involved with the Hispanic communities (both legal and illegal) in the Public Health sector and I would argue that there needs to be a better system in place to incorporate these individuals. The people that we see jumping fences with guns aren’t coming here to get jobs and live in our neighborhoods – they’re usually drug runners. The people who are running here are borderline refugees and don’t cross with guns to do crime, but cross with families to do work.

My point is simply this…we need not pander to them (as the liberals do), but we do need to make a feasible and streamlined method of legalizing more Hispanic people coming from neighboring countries. Not for political purposes, mind you, but for human purposes. If I lived in Mexico and America told me that it would take the better part of a decade to get into the country and cost me quite a bit of money that I don’t have to do so….then I’d probably come illegally. I’m just saying.

• John Galt September 4, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Yes, I share your concern. The fact that after four years of proof as to who Obama really is and what is his vision for America, and an alternative that is without question genuine and capable, the polls are still equal for both sides.
    In my piece, “2012-2016: What is At Stake” I warned that if Obama wins the damage won’t be reversible, but if Romney wins the fight is still on in 2016 and 2020.
    However, I believe that if Romney wins, we will be able to gain ground on that balance because he will bring back sustainable economic growth on the 3-4% rate which will stop the growth of the moocher Democratic class.

• RightHandMan
    RightHandMan September 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I hope you’re right John…but I still think that there is the possibility that Romney wins and we don’t grow economically b/c we will still be fighting such huge deterrents that he cannot readily and quickly fix.

I think we should keep from falling into the trap of assuming that economies that rise and fall under Presidents is due to the man in office. I’m getting quite sick of hearing Romney tell me how many jobs he’s going to create. Where is the conservatism in that?

• Infidel de Manahatta September 5, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Contrary to popular belief, America DOES have an official state religion. It is the Democratic Party. Children are indoctrinated into the Democratic mystery religion at an early age as it is taught in our public schools.

The Republicans, even at their best, will always be behind the curve. As all non-believing infidels are wont to be.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..My Exclusive Interview with Joe BidenMy Profile

• Harrison September 6, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Kailifornia is Left because of immigration – legal and otherwise. Nevada is Left because of immigration to Las Vegas. Michigan is Left because of Detroit and the unions – though surprisingly not as much as it was.

Selling the idea of work vs. the dole isn’t easy which is why we have to make sure these types of behaviors don’t get ingrained.