SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » I will not go gentile into that goodnight…I will resist and fight for liberty

I will not go gentile into that goodnight…I will resist and fight for liberty

Like most of you, I’ve been doing a great deal of soul searching since the election.  I’ve been questioning if my efforts to promote conservatism were worth the time and energy put into it.  Like most of you I have great concerns about the course America has chosen.  Two nights ago liberty took it on the chin.  Americans decided that they wanted to continue down the road to serfdom.  At one point I actually looked at my wife and told her I was done.  I would waste no more time trying to convince people that liberty is the answer.  I felt so drained and empty.  It was in this moment of self-reflection that I decided to go downstairs and pull some books about the founding fathers and the Revolutionary War off the bookshelf.  They were older books from the 1950s and 60s.  The kind of books you would find in the schools back then.

I sat in a quite dimly lit room and began reading them.  An hour quickly turned into three hours as I was drawn into the stories about the battles and the early writings of Thomas Jefferson and George Washington.  As I read story after story, I began to fill up inside with hope again.  I reread one of my favorite stories about George Washington at Valley Forge.  It has always moved me.

As many of you know, Valley Forge was the winter encampment for the Continental Army in 1777-1778.  These were trying times for the young army.  They were ill equipped, most missing the basics needed to survive a winter.  There was a shortage of blankets, overcoats, and shoes amongst the ranks and to top things off they weren’t getting much support from the congress.  George Washington could have easily decided enough was enough and packed it in.  Instead he went off by himself in the woods surrounding the encampment and turned to God.  He got down on his knees, looked up to the heavens and prayed.  How do we know this?  A Tory by the name of Isaac Potts was walking with his horse in the same woods that day when he heard what sounded like a person praying.  What he didn’t know at the time was the person he heard praying was George Washington.  He quietly positioned himself just out of Washington’s sight to hear his prayer.  The prayer so moved Mr. Potts the when he went back to his family, he told his family that they were on the wrong side and from that day forward supported the American cause and no longer referred to themselves as Tories.  How’s that for the power of prayer.

We need to remember that George Washington’s back was against the wall countless times during the Revolutionary War.  His army was in the verge of defeat almost the entire war.  He employed evasive tactics numerous times to ensure the survival of the army.  He had a number of opportunities to quit and I’m not sure anyone would have really held it against him if he had.  But he didn’t quit.  He believed that the cause for liberty was worth fighting for.  He decided he would not go gentile into that goodnight.  We owe the liberty we enjoy today to George Washington because he didn’t quit and walk away from the fight.  He left it all on the field.  I owe it to him and our founding fathers not to let liberty slip away without a fight.  I will resist.  I will fight for liberty.  I will not go gentile into that goodnight.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , , ,

Comments
  • Steve Dennis November 9, 2012 at 4:55 AM

I’m glad you are still in the fight John, these may dark times but we must carry on until there is nothing left to fight for. I looked towards Thomas Paine and ‘The Crisis’ for my inspiration last night. There is so much we can learn from the founders, there words still ring true today.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Remembering Thomas Paine and ‘The Crisis’My Profile

• John Carey November 9, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Indeed Steve. I have always believed the answer to our problems can be found in their writings. The problem is there is a large number of people who don’t have a solid foundation in regards to our history. They don’t understand liberty because they have never had to fight for it or felt like it was threatened. I guarantee if the read the constitution and read the early writings and understood what they read, they too would be extremely concerned about the course Americans have chosen.
      John Carey recently posted..I will not go gentile into that goodnight…I will resist and fight for libertyMy Profile

• Silverfiddle November 9, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Thanks for the thoughtful and well-written reminder!
    Silverfiddle recently posted..More Than a Good Night’s SleepMy Profile

• LD Jackson November 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I will also continue the fight. I will be cutting back on the time I spend in the effort, but I will not give up. Thanks for sharing your story, John.
    LD Jackson recently posted..The Voters Who Stayed At HomeMy Profile

• Jim at Conservatives on Fire November 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM

The pain for the lovers of freedom will pass. We will do what me must do. We have no other choice. Thanks, John, for an eloquent reminder!
    Jim at Conservatives on Fire recently posted..Benghazigate, The Election, and A New BeginningMy Profile

• David J. Hentosh November 9, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I, too, feel I am preaching to deaf ears. I have lost faith in the American people’s ability to think beyond personal issues for the common good. Results of failure, inexperience, and personal ideology were abundant, yet, a majority of voters chose to be blind. I doubt that George Washington would have prevailed with such apathy, blindness and delusion in the overall population and his own troops. It seems it will take something very disastrous to wake up this population, and then it will be too late. A blog reaching only the choir seems like such a hopeless endeavor and the energy to continue escapes me at the moment. Going gently into the good night seems like a viable option and that, too, is indicative of the low point I’ve reached. I admire your tenacity, John. I don’t know if I have any left.

• John Carey November 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I was having a conversation with some people yesterday about whether people today would have the same drive as the founders to pledge their lives, fortunes, and sacred honor for the sake of liberty and most agreed that it would be hard to find people of that character today. I agree to a point, however I do believe there is a large number of people who would be willing to do whatever it takes to secure liberty and freedom. I’m one of them and this is why I will continues to fight David.

• 5etester November 10, 2012 at 5:30 AM

John, I wrote a post on this. Conservatives will absolutely continue on because their beliefs and values are built upon principle. Principle won’t allow you to just stand-by and watch liberty die. We’ll certainly have an endless parade of opportunities over the next 4 years with Obama pushing his agenda on overdrive.

What conservatives must do is develop new techniques and methods to reach more people. As many have said, just preaching to the choir is of little benefit. In a strange twist, Obama will be aiding our efforts with his policies. The disillusioned list will only continue to grow. Where I’ll be directing my energy is finding alternatives to reach those people.
    5etester recently posted..GOP gives up on repeal of ObamacareMy Profile

• LD Jackson November 10, 2012 at 5:32 AM

You make a great point. Even my wife told me I needed to find ways to grow my blog into something more people would read. It’s fine to preach to the choir, but unless we reach those who are on the fence and need persuading, the choir is the only people that hear us.
      LD Jackson recently posted..The Voters Who Stayed At HomeMy Profile

• John Carey November 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I agree 5etester. We must find ways to reach the people and convince them that conservatism will work. The first thing we must do is secure the integrity of the voting process. I believe there was massive fraud this election and if we can’t get that under control, then no matter how hard we work to change the mindset, we will always look at the polls. When you look at turnout in counties that are heavily Democratic in key states like Ohio, Florida, and Virginia, it was huge. Read about spigot cities here>>http://www.theblaze.com/stories/have-you-heard-about-spigot-cities-that-may-pump-votes-to-obama/

If we don’t get a handle on this then no matter what we do, we will always lose and America will be lost. Our constitution only works with a moral people. That means doing the right thing even when no one is watching. Clearly we are losing on this front.

• Teresa Rice November 10, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Yes, we must not quit. Fighting the good fight will be hard but who ever said that doing anything worthwhile was going to be easy? God is the answer. Prayer is the answer. God will help us convert souls. Sometimes it takes more pain in order for people to change. Keep up the great work in defending liberty my friend. God Bless.
    Teresa Rice recently posted..Obama Re-election Has Real Life Consequences: Massive LayoffsMy Profile

• [...] I will not go gentile into that goodnight…I will resist and fight for liberty [...]

• Harrison November 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I hope you keep writing. If you disagree with the political situation of our country and do nothing then you are contributing to it being the way it is.

A lot of fine people visit your site and comment and interact with you so you ARE making a difference.