SENTRY JOURNAL » Uncategorized » Liberty needs more doers and fewer watchers

Liberty needs more doers and fewer watchers

My father always told me there are two types of people in this world; doers and watchers.  Even the revolutionary war had its share of doers and watchers.  The doers were the Patriots and Tories.  These people encompassed colonists who kicked in by fighting either for independence or for the King.  Some of the most brutal and bloodiest battles of the war were fought between Patriots and Tories.  They made up roughly 2/3 of the colonial population.  The final 1/3 was made up people who either didn’t care which side won or who desired independence but really didn’t want to invest in the overall effort to achieve it.  They offered up plenty of verbal noise but beyond that they were looking for the doers on the Patriot side to get the job done.  Lately I have been seeing this same watcher attitude in regards to local politics when it comes to getting involved and investing in the time it takes to make a difference.

These last few weeks I’ve been light in my posting because I’ve been investing a considerable amount of time towards local politics and the gun rights issue.  I’ve been talking to people about the issue.  I’ve been contacting my local representatives and expressing my concerns about federal regulations in regards to gun rights.  And I’ve been trying to prompt my fellow neighbors to do the same.  The problem is even though a large number of them are for gun rights and staunchly support the 2nd amendment they just don’t want to invest the time and energy it takes to shake the pillars of the republic.  They want me to do it and then keep them informed.  And this is a problem.

I don’t believe this is an apathy problem.  I believe that some people are just more comfortable watching the game then actually suiting up and getting into the game, even if the outcome of the game has dire consequences.  Even when their liberties are on the line, they choose to let the doers pick up the cause and run with it for them.  It’s irresponsible as a citizen and further erodes a system that relies on the consent of the people to work.  When people say or do nothing when the government wrongs them or takes away their liberties then the people are giving their consent to allow it to happen.  Bill O’Reilly touches on this watcher mindset in America in our featured video of the week.  Please take a few moments to check it out.

YouTube Preview Image

I don’t normally say this but Mr. O’Reilly hit it out of the park in his talking points.  We get the government we deserve and right now America deserves Barack Obama and his radical left agenda.  Jim over at Asylum Watch states the following in his article Conservatives on Fire has Evolved; “After the devastating results of the 2012 elections, many conservative bloggers went silent and others began posting less frequently.”  That is absolutely a true statement.  I know that after we lost the election I myself was not only stunned by the results, but I was forced to reevaluate my own purpose and strategy.  But a shift in purpose and strategy doesn’t mean we give up the fight for the cause of liberty and freedom.  It only means we rethink how we do it.  My path led me to getting more involved at the local level and that’s what I’ve done.  But it will all be for not if we can’t transform more watchers into doers.  Because a few is simply not enough to have a major impact.  As misguided as their policies are, the left has been so successful these last few years because they have a large number of doers getting it done for them.

When I look back on the 2012 election in North Dakota, I now see how Republican Rick Berg lost in a very red state to Democrat Heidi Heitkamp.  My door was knocked on twice asking me if I would support Heidi Heitkamp.  Not once did I see anyone pounding the ground for Rick Berg.  Heidi Heitkamp had no business winning the state.  She openly supported Obamacare in a state that overwhelmingly rejected it.  She was a second rate candidate who hid her liberal beliefs by running as a moderate.  Additionally she was one of those candidates who always seemed like she was running for something but could never win.  When I heard she was running for the open seat being vacated by Kent Conrad, I joked here comes Heidi again.  The difference maker this time around was she had more doers pushing for a win than Rick Berg and that’s why this is an important issue.

The left has figured out the formula to win elections.  It’s not complex.  Get the doers to carry the load and the candidates across the finish line.  And this is exactly what they did in 2012 and it worked.  This is what the Tea Party movement did in 2010 and it worked.  If we hope to advance the cause of liberty we need more doers and fewer watchers.  If this means we need to shame the watchers into action then so be it.  If a liberal like Heidi Heitkamp can win in a deeply red state like North Dakota, then surely we can find a way to advance the conservative agenda in Red/Purple states.  It just takes more doers and fewer watchers.

Filed under: Uncategorized · Tags: , , ,

Comments
  • Steve Dennis January 22, 2013 at 4:51 AM

You are absolutely right John. I still don’t understand what happened to the Tea Party in 2012 after they showed what could be done in 2010. Did they grow lazy and think the mission was accomplished in 2010 or was Romney really so offensive to them that they stayed home?
    If we lose the House in 2014 we will be in real trouble and Barack Obama is going to spend the next two years trying to divide the Republicans in order to win the House. Those people who stayed home because they didn’t like Romney had better wake up and make sure Obama doesn’t split them even further and it will be up to us to make sure that doesn’t happen.
    Steve Dennis recently posted..Barack Obama to turn Obama for America into a non-profit tax exempt organizationMy Profile

• John Carey January 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Like all things the Tea Party movement lost their momentum and just didn’t have the doers it had in 2010 after Obamacare was passed. Something has changed though since 2012 elections. I do not feel the same fighting spirit in the air that I did in 2009. I believe there are a few reasons for this. The first is that conservatives have felt let down by the current Republican Party. They feel like on every issue the right has caved into the left and its been frustrating for many of us to watch. The second reason is let’s face it, after the loss in 2012 a lot of things we thought we knew about the electorate were shattered and many of us finally accepted this reality. And for those who love the constitution, individual freedom, and the America of our grandparents, all this was wiped out in 2012. And it’s been a tough pill to swallow.
      John Carey recently posted..Liberty needs more doers and fewer watchersMy Profile

• Larry1356 January 24, 2013 at 8:28 AM

By the time of the 2012 elections, the republican party had usurped the Tea Party of 2010. And yes, the media and establishment republican’s selection of Romney to be the acting opponent to Obama was offensive to the true grassroots movement. (along with the steps the party convention took to minimize future participation in the process of the grassroots)

• Infidel de Manahatta January 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM

The problem with the leftists is that they have no lives except politics. The state is their god and they are proselytizing for their God.

Conservatives have lives. Yes, we need to get off our butts but it will be difficult in some cases to find the time.
    Infidel de Manahatta recently posted..President Obama Gets Inaugurated; Addresses NationMy Profile

• LD Jackson January 22, 2013 at 8:40 PM

What you state is very true. I literally do not have the time to become that involved in local politics. There are times when I would like to attend town hall meetings, such as the upcoming conference call meeting with our new U.S. Representative, Markwayne Mullin. Trouble is, I have to work to provide for my family. If I do not work, we do not eat and I can not pay my bills. It’s a simple matter of me not having the time. Sad, but true, nonetheless.
      LD Jackson recently posted..The Progressive Agenda Marches OnMy Profile

• John Carey January 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Manhattan and Larry, if we don’t find the time to engage in politics then we had better accept the fact that we will never turn this thing around and if that is the case,then what are we all doing here. If we can find time it takes for us to write articles and post on our blogs, surely we can find the time to write our local and national representatives. Yes we do work and yes our days are full, but no more than the merchants and farmers of colonial days who stood up against a King and philosophy that directly threatened their liberty and freedoms. I think in the end it comes down to commitment and we must ask ourselves how committed are we to the cause. How passionate are we in regards to freedom and liberty. That’s my two cents for what its worth.

• LD Jackson January 23, 2013 at 4:43 AM

I usually post on my blog right before I clock in at work. That is at 7:00 AM. I do not get off until 5:30 PM, which puts me at home at 6:00 PM. I have responsibilities at home, with my family, at my church, etc. Almost every political function I could possibly engage in is either during the day, or right as I am getting home. Maybe I am not as committed to the cause as I should be, but I simply do not have the time to do that and work at my job and my boss wouldn’t be happy with me if I insisted on taking off to become more engaged in the political process. I wish it were different, but it is what it is.
        LD Jackson recently posted..The Progressive Agenda Marches OnMy Profile

• John Carey January 23, 2013 at 5:11 AM

Manhattan is correct when he says the left has us at a disadvantage because most of us on the right do work, and do have family commitments. They make activism a full time job because for the most part it is their full time job. We simply do not have that kind of time. I was not questioning your commitment my friend. I know you’re a patriot. My frustration with how the left is always getting out in front of us on this issue seeped over into my response and apologize for that. I guess in the end we do what we can do and try our best to pick and choose the battles we do engage in.

• Jim at Asylum Watch January 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Probably over 60% of the electorate know the country is on the wrong path, according to polls. But, 53% voted for Obama anyway.. My guess is that there are only 29% or less that are well informed. We also have the problem of getting good conservatives to ; first run in the primaries and secondly getting them elected if they do become the candidate. We conservatives need to ignore the organize our own ground game for our candidates and not depend of the local Republican Party to do it. As it is, we end up voting for the lessor evil. That will not stop or even slow down the progressive assult on our constitutionall protected rights. If we are not part of the solution, we are part of the problem.
    Jim at Asylum Watch recently posted..A Federal Government Whose Only Purpose Is To Write ChecksMy Profile

• Matt January 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM

It is rather hard to make time. Many good points are made here, but I’m already robbing Peter to pay Paul between being a dad, work, and being a blogger. It is hard.
    Matt recently posted..Willie Wonka Shuts Down his Chocolate FactoryMy Profile

• John Carey January 24, 2013 at 8:57 PM

It is indeed hard Matt. But we must make the time. I read an article today about how the left is looking to turn Texas blue. They starting a grass roots movement in Texas to try and turn it. They said it might not happen next election cycle, but they’re patience. Leftist doers.
      John Carey recently posted..It makes a huge difference Hillary…My Profile